E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
vsphantom

My Ride: 2001 325i
2001 325i DSC BRAKE Lights on?

Hi!
i just bought my new to me used bmw, it is a 2001 325i
it has 135xxx miles
and i have a few problems with it
- the Brake Light is on on the dash, although i have the handbrakes off
- when the car is in idle, or when i start it up it kind of screeching and squealing noise but it runs fine on the freeway
- the airbag light is on, although the car has never been in an accident
my biggest concern is the light on the dashboard that looks like a triangle with an '!' inside it and this triangle is enclosed in a circle pointing counter clockwise
which i found out to be the ASC+T or DSC
and this light usually comes on when i'm braking at low speeds
also, before the light flashes and turns on the car kind of shakes
and this also happened when i was on the freeway and was cruising at 65 mph and the the car just vibrated like krrrrrrgggg and it sounded like something is grinding in the engine bay and i can feel this grinding from the pedals
the the ASC+T or DSC will then start flashing and stays on
the car does this everytime i use it but if i press DSC it does not do this

also there is a slight rumble/ clunk under the center console specially at low speeds (15-35mph)
but seems to smooth out at 60 -80mph but still barely noticable
could it be the CSB and the guibo

i also hear the air pump cranking when i start the car, it then goes away after a while is that normal?
thanks
vsphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
You need to scan codes with a BMW scanner. That will tell you the exact problem. The screeching noise at startup likely means you need a belt/pulley job. The airbag light is usually lit because of 2 reasons: bad seat occupancy sensor or bad seat belt buckle switch. Again the scanner will be able to tell you what exactly. The SAP should run for a minute or so when you start the car. This is a US only feature for emissions purposes (goddamned green nazis) and is normal as long as you only have an initial RPM of about a 1000. I dont know about your other problems.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs light on, grinding noise, guibo, shuddering