E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #21
Mattrs5

My Ride: 320i
Lol thanks for the input mate. Yes I gave thread a few similar threads and today I'm gonna get under it, take the covers off and have a good route about. Cheers
Mattrs5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
GLOK1132

My Ride: 2002 325i
Because Zoidberg
GLOK1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Thank you MJ!

Yes, OP, you have to have a route about...and I'd recommend a nice LED flashlight of around 100 lumens too.

Clean things up and find the highest source of oil leak...and work down. Also, don't assume it's oil...Power Steering fluid leaks a lot too...and although it probably isn't trans or brake fluid, you should look...keep an eye on fluid levels too.

The underskirt holds a lot of fluid and they blow back and off when you drive...so don't be shocked if you see fluid all over the place...and remember that just because something has a fluid on it, that doesn't mean that that's the part that's leaking. Use simple green, an engine degreaser, parts cleaner...and clean up things...drive around for a day or two...and see where you see fresh fluids.

HTH...have fun!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's probably not the output shaft seal. And, if it is, I'm sure it's a very slow leak.

Clean up the bottom and drive. Then look with a good flashlight, like my favorite, the xl50!

Seriously, we don't know where the leak(s) are from and thus can't guess what it would cost...but it'd be a good deal more than what you could fix it for. Truth is, once you identify source of leak, you might not 'need' to do anything.

But, to give you an example, a post just today came in...the guy was quoted almost a $1000 for oil filter housing (maybe the gasket only)...still, that's $600 for what you could do in a couple of hours....first diy, maybe 4-5 hours worst case.

CCV is a horrible 4 hour diy too, but everyone here seems to manage it.

Oil filter cap is a 5 minute repair and that could be all it is...the 0-ring in the wrong place, or by mistake, doubled up.

We not that magical here...we don't know the source and thus can't guess a cost...though I would guess it's not what you think. Don't forget, oil drips down and then blows back. It could be from anywhere, really.

Just bought xl50 flashlight thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
allwheelsdriven

My Ride: 330i zhp sapphire
as we used to say in the ER....all oil leaks stop eventually
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Mattrs5

Real swell comment awd!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #27
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
The CCV is the Crankcase Ventilation Valve. But that is not exactly a correct name, since it is not just the valve that causes issues, but all of the hoses as well. So it is the Crankcase Ventilation System - the valve, and all of the extra hoses associated with it. You may know this as the PCV valve, except BMW has developed a much more complicated version of that $8 valve, and the $2 hose connected to it. The BMW system compares to a PCV system like a paper airplane compares to a B2 Bomber. It is infinitely more complex and expensive.

The VCG is the Valve Cover Gasket. This is the gasket that fits between the large plastic cover on your engine, and the engine block. On my old 68 Firebird, the previous owner had made a set of VCG's out of cardboard, and they lasted for 60k miles. You can not do that on a BMW. It is a $40-$60 gasket, and 15 grommets that are about $.60 each, if you buy them online.

Now, I suggest you read a lot more, and avoid threads where people ask about stains on their driveway as a way to find an oil leak. For all we know, one of those spots was where the neighbors dog took a dump.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
tehcbass

My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrs5 View Post
?????,
you waited a day and a half for an answer that literaly took google, and three letters in the searchbar..

good job.

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #29
Mattrs5

Literacy. Not so good job!