E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #101
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Installed the Reinz vcg myself year ago and no leaks yet, but I'll take heed of your experience.

Confused regarding Siemans/VDO fuel pump. I thought this was the pump from BMW when car was new and the main one we all replace our old pumps with? Please clarify.
It depends when they changed the gaskets. They used to be fine. Our vender said their explanation was they changed rubber venders. I don't care to try them again. This fiasco with leaking gaskets was costly on many fronts

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #102
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
They do not reimburse labor..... So yes FREE. No my techs are following SOP. Victor rienz has a high failure rate on the E46 gaskets. This has been noted by the whole BIMRS.org group we pressured our main vender to carry Goetz gaskets for this reason. But I am sure you know the whole history and are a much better mechanic than we are. Victor Rienz DID not make the original BMW valve cover gasket. As for the VDO pumps I stand behind the statement. Maybe they improved quality but its not worth the risk to me.

Same with Febi Bilstien there cam sensors are wonderfull POS's
Agree on the febi cam sensors. However, febi is not an oem for bmw. They r aftermarket.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #103
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I have a genuine BMW intake cps going in, JB. I'm making you proud. trying to cure my acceleration/take-off 1st gear surging issue. no lights, no codes, everythings cleaned, restored, re-sealed, and/or replaced. pretty much ruled everything out. hope this works!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #104
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Mango recommends torque spec on VC bolts of 10 ft lb, Bentley says 18. That's a big difference. Which is right?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #105
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Subject the 10 from the eighteen to get 8 ft-lbs of torque for the VC nuts.

Don't walk in the path of many before you who have broken off the head studs.

Tighten down the nuts until they bottom out and then just a slight bit more pressure to insure you have tension there.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #106
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Mango recommends torque spec on VC bolts of 10 ft lb, Bentley says 18. That's a big difference. Which is right?
Bentley gives two torque settings. The higher one is for the s54 and the 8ft/lbs is for the m54 or m52tu

Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #107
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Thanks for the clarification. I saw thie Bentley number earlier in this thread and since I don't have a Bentley manual I was concerned this was a typo since it was so off of what Mango said was max torque for these bolts.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #108
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I saw thie Bentley number earlier in this thread and since I don't have a Bentley manual I was concerned this was a typo since it was so off of what Mango said was max torque for these bolts.
Np....the numbers in the bentley r very confusing and can be easily mistaken. I snapped my engine studs because of the incorrect torque setting.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #109
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Hi Folks

Sorry to revive this thread after being idle for more than a month but I have a question regarding vcg replacement....

I've seen mention of both RTV red and RTV black being used in various threads on this topic. Both are sold by loctite and both look to be quite similar in terms of their temperature tolerances. Which is favored/recommended or does it not really matter between the two?

Thanks much!
-Greg-
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #110
Stinger9

Look for two things
high temperature
O2 sensor safe
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #111
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
Hi Folks

Sorry to revive this thread after being idle for more than a month but I have a question regarding vcg replacement....

I've seen mention of both RTV red and RTV black being used in various threads on this topic. Both are sold by loctite and both look to be quite similar in terms of their temperature tolerances. Which is favored/recommended or does it not really matter between the two?

Thanks much!
-Greg-
From experience, I like the black better. Used red with no problems either. Blue is not as flexible as those two, so don't use it. Black dries more rubbery than the red, that's why it's my #1 choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Look for two things
high temperature
O2 sensor safe
Both red and black has these two properties. In fact, red is rated higher in temperature, but I still think the black is the better of the two.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #112
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
When you say "black", which black do you mean? loctite or permatex ultra?

loctite black: -75 to 625 F (can't seem to find this on their website - is it discontinued?)
loctite red: -75 to 600 F
permatex ultra black: -65 to 500F

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ber=37467-M258

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/mec...te-RTV-Red.htm)

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #113
nka203

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
Did this last weekend.. I used Permatex black and used on half moons and places where it was leaking. I made sure the contact surfaces were as clean as possible with no gasket residue or grime, used some brake cleaner to get off any oil & grease before applying gasket. My old gasket literally felt like brittle plastic, had no elasticity left just broke off wherever i touched.

Put everything together (tightened cover bolts hand-tight at first, then after 1 hour torqued it down) then waited 20 hours to cure before starting car.

I wiped everything around the cover so I'll know if it leaked anywhere, then drove a few days.
Checked for any leaks after each drive (wait for engine to cool then feel around), and none was found thank god.

Here's with cover off at 120k miles, looked clean made me happy.

Last edited by nka203; 09-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #114
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
When you say "black", which black do you mean? loctite or permatex ultra?
Look back at post #111
Says in post both references are to Loctite
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #115
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
I did mine three times, then realized my valve cover itself was cracked. Hairline... Hard to detect.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #116
Stinger9

extremely useful tip/reminder!
I'll check mine soon when I change the gasket.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #117
mikkemille

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I attribute this to the vcg I used, which seems to sit proud of vc just about 1-2 mm more than my old one did
I'm in the middle of replacing my VCG with a Victor Reinz gasket, and noticed the same thing.

Put the gasket into the valve cover and it doesn't fully seat into the groove in the cover. The gasket is about 13mm "tall" but the groove in the cover is about 10.5mm deep.

Trying to decide if I should move forward with this gasket, or order a genuine BMW...

edit, found another thread describing the same problem (unfortunately that OP never checked back in to say how he solved the problem. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=817444)

Last edited by mikkemille; 09-30-2012 at 06:22 PM.
mikkemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #118
Stinger9

Stop right now

there is yet a third thread out there that discusses this and many on that thread tell of VR gaskets that leak soon after installing them. Mine is leaking now at 16K miles.
I bought a genuine BMW from the dealer last week and it will go on soon.
Strongly advise you to do the same.

Also look back to post #93 on this thread.

BTW, BMW gasket from dealer says: "Made in Hungary" My dealer has price of $52 currently, and they usually don't price gouge.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #119
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemille View Post
I'm in the middle of replacing my VCG with a Victor Reinz gasket, and noticed the same thing.

Put the gasket into the valve cover and it doesn't fully seat into the groove in the cover. The gasket is about 13mm "tall" but the groove in the cover is about 10.5mm deep.

Trying to decide if I should move forward with this gasket, or order a genuine BMW...

edit, found another thread describing the same problem (unfortunately that OP never checked back in to say how he solved the problem. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=817444)
No need. The compression and heat will make the gasket sit flush. U rather have extra play then for a gasket to have no play at all (too short).

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #120
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Well, there were reports of the VR above changing rubber supplier...something like that.

I put my OE on (who knows who made it?)...anyway, it doesn't leak now...but I did drive too soon after rtv...damn!

Anyway, the OE is a little more pliable, but honestly, if you use rtv in the entire half moons...on the vanos seam...tighten down in stages, in the pattern...you might stand a chance. VR had to have known and fixed this issue.

As far as the height of it, I'd been thinking about that and think that a big part of the seal comes not just at the bottom, but at the top of the gasket where it sits in vc itself...so make sure that groove is really cleaned out well.

IDK what to say, OP. If it's not too late, you're out $20 and about $40 for one from dealer. It's a 100K part or so...but it's not that tough of a job either...so six of one, half a dozen of another.

Don't overtighten screws. Down to the stop in stages and then stop.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote