E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Cardboat

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3
Alcantera steering wheel

Any of you guys have a steering wheel made of or has alcantera on it? If so, does it get dirty fast and are they easy to clean? I was reading about them and it seemed like you had to buy special products and if you don't do it right then you'll die. (something like that)

Last edited by Cardboat; 09-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Cardboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Peacoben

My Ride: '03 530i sport
I just got mine put in a week ago. Amazing so far. From what I hear they will last if properly maintained and cared for. Loving mine.
Peacoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
I had my original done by Coby wheel. He did a great job and amazing customer service. They will wear out if u miss treat it. I just wash my hands before I touch it. Oil is the main killer...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Don't ever touch it with dirty, greasy hands. And don't put lotion on your hands.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Peacoben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLAUDM3 View Post
I had my original done by Coby wheel. He did a great job and amazing customer service. They will wear out if u miss treat it. I just wash my hands before I touch it. Oil is the main killer...
Also had mine done by coby wheel. Definitely a good way to go
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Cardboat

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3
I was going to get it done by coby wheel too. What is the process for it? Do they send you one and when you get it you send them your original or do you send them the original and they wrap it and send it back.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
rodz017

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
i got mines really messed i guess the guy before me didn't do nothing to it i would like to take it off n replaced it with leather or something IMO not worth it
rodz017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Peacoben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboat View Post
I was going to get it done by coby wheel too. What is the process for it? Do they send you one and when you get it you send them your original or do you send them the original and they wrap it and send it back.
They send you a wrapped wheel then you switch over the airbag and electronics and send back the old one!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
The wheel in my 04 is beat to hell, and I'm not sure I'll replace it with another Alcantara one. I did hear good things about Coby though.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Chain//M

My Ride: 2004 M3
I just installed my new wrapped wheel, also from Coby wheel. Awesome quality, great customer service. Go for it, you will not regret it.
Chain//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
nofar

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP 6 SPEED
I found a very novel way to clean my alcantar steering wheel on my ZCP. I take a cotton terry cloth and soak it in water with a tiny bit of lemon juice (just a few drops). Then I wring out the cloth so it's just barely damp. I drape the cloth over my steering wheel and wrap it around. I very lightly move the cloth around on the steering wheel, not rubbing a lot, but just in small sections. I move from section to section to get the whole wheel. I'm not dragging the cloth at all, just moving it back and forth in one area. I let this sit for a few hours or overnight, and it always looks re-freshed. I try this every 3-4 months and it's worked for 2+ years.
Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni externally adjustable F&R shocks / DDM Aluminum Pedals / BMW Performance Short Shift Kit / Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) removed / Painted reflectors / Stealth bulbs / Turner 15mm/10mm front/rear spacers.
nofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
coby wheel customization FTW!

the alcantara will last years if maintained properly. but truth is a lot of people have "sweaty" hands by nature so alcantara is just not meant for that type of body chemistry.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
I have found no matter how 'clean' you are in a daily driver you are looking at 15-20k miles before the spot(s) you normally keep your hands get a bit of shine to them...another 15-20k and then you almost need to replace it no matter how careful you are.

I have heard the average is about 25-30k miles before many original owners had their's redone and this was a common complaint under warranty services (not honored usually).

I like the feel. I had thought about going perf. leather, but the alacantara gives a great connection to the wheel and doesn't get as hot (I live in S. Florida).
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
I love mine, but damn it it's getting worn out.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Wear gloves = last forever
Clean hands, don't wear lotion, etc = last a few years if you daily drive
Dirty hands, greasy body type = wore out in short order

You'll have to get over any false pride and wear gloves if you want to enjoy the wheel for ages.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
Team M3 4 life

My Ride: Silver 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post

You'll have to get over any false pride and wear gloves if you want to enjoy the wheel for ages.
I think ill keep my false pride before anyone sees me wearing gloves in my car on the street..
2002 Bmw M3 6mt Coupe Mods: Koni Shocks, Eibach prokit, IMOLA RED INTERIOR, 5% eye brow, cf diffuser/splitters, angel eyes, DICE mediabridge, dynamat, afe stg 2, probox, 12w3 JL audio sub, 500/1 JL amp, blacked out emblems, corners, side grilles...etc, Borla sec 1 and 2, shark injector, and much more to come...

Looking for: Coilovers, 19 in rims, headers, nitrous kit, A PILLAR GUAGE POD, 4.10 dif
Team M3 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team M3 4 life View Post
I think ill keep my false pride before anyone sees me wearing gloves in my car on the street..
Same here. Plus you can't enjoy alcantara with gloves, its all about the feel of it. It does get dirty fast, but the plus sides are its never hot/cold to the touch in summer/winter. There are days I wish I had cloth seats even.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team M3 4 life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsel View Post
Same here. Plus you can't enjoy alcantara with gloves, its all about the feel of it. It does get dirty fast, but the plus sides are its never hot/cold to the touch in summer/winter. There are days I wish I had cloth seats even.
Wrong and wrong.

Last edited by braymond141; 09-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post

It's all of less than $400. My 40k maintenance was $4000+ a few months ago
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
It's all of less than $400. My 40k maintenance was $4000+ a few months ago
And? I was simply giving an option to always have a mint condition wheel without the progressive deteriation. There's a difference.

$420 OE Competition Wheel (non-SMG)
$20 a year (if anal) for fresh sheepskin gloves (that do NOT take away from the feel of alcantara)

Or

$420 OE Competition Wheel (non-SMG)
$200-250 every 2-3years for a re-wrap

You decide which is more economical. The only thing that makes this hard for people to grasp is their apparent egos and ability to "pull a**" wearing gloves.

What did you spend $4k on? Nothing at 40k costs that much unless you're paying retail and someone else is getting paid to do labor.

Last edited by braymond141; 09-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.