E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
pachecoj

My Ride: '05 325i
Puzzled: rear bump stops wrong part

I bought all new Bilstein's for my 325i from shox.com and all new components (mounts, gasket, bump stops, etc.) from Pelican parts. I wanted to buy the shocks/struts from Pelican but they were $80 more than shox.com and wouldn't match the price after calling them, oh well.

I took out the shocks and noticed the bump stop is the wrong part (wrong number and different physically). I went to BMW of Newport and they gave me the right ones which matched what I had. I looked up again on Pelican parts to verify I didn't order the wrong ones, for a 325i they list part number:

31-33-1-094-750-M58

Compared to my old one they differ in that the inner diameter is larger on the Pelican part, so it just slides down the shock. Also the pelican part has a concave top whereas the BMW part has a convex one.

I could not find the BMW part listed on Pelican's site; has anyone had this issue? Could it be because I have an M56 engine not an M54?

Jason
pachecoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Check www.realoem.com and compare the part numbers for cars with and without Sport suspension and the XI as well.

Usually with Sport suspension the car is lower, the shock have less travel and the bump stops can be shorter.

Many times aftermarket parts suppliers do not know all the subtle differences between the models and do not have their online or print catalogs correct.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
sorry to thread jack... I recently put meatier tires on my rear wheels because I don't want them stretched at all anymore, but despite having rolled fenders my car still rubs a bit on dips etc. the car is lowered on a H&R sport cupkit.

there were previously 2 bump stops added on each side, which are helping a bit, I think I need more though. they are round flat cylinders that have a slit to clip onto the strut shaft. what's my best option? I'd rather not have to fuss with the fenders anymore.. thx

Formerly: TheBeerAssassin

Last edited by Topazine; 09-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote