E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
Pulley Noise. Help me Identify. VIDEO included.

Hey guys,
Need some help again.

Noticed a squealing noise coming from the front of the engine. As of now, I think its the Idler pulley, but any input from you guys would be GREAT! I am ready to order the parts and DIY before the weather gets too cold here. Just need some assurance as to what to order. So far in my cart I have the main engine belt because I remember seeing some cracks on it the last time I looked at it last month or so.

What other maintenance components should I replace while I'm in the area?

YouTube video of the noise. vvvv

ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
bootsonthegrnd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Most likely belt tension pulley I had to put in three of them it's the annoying bird chirp sound I had yours seem to be much more steady than mine was.
bootsonthegrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
I would do the tensioner pulley at the same time. You will probably need to verify which tensioner you have, Mechanical or Hydraulic. The Pulleys are different and I am not sure when they changed over to Hydraulic. Also since you will have to remove the AC belt to install the new main belt, might as well replace that one and it's tensioner.

Last edited by Vandyinc; 09-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Vandyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
thanks guys. any other suggestions??
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
heechkass

My Ride: 323i Touring, 2000
Its a Pulley. I would do both. And as someone mentioned, make sure to get the right one (mechanical vs hydraulic).
This may be a good time to change anything around the area while you're in there....water pump? Thermostat?
heechkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
There's no way anyone is going to be able to tell you which pulley is going out from a video. You're going to have to take off the belt and rotate the pulleys by hand to figure that out.

But like other have said, replace the lot of them.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
definitely your tensioner pullies but it is hard to determine which one:

from another post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Your car has three three tensioner pullies. One is on your mechanical/hydraulic tensioner, one is your deflection pulley (next to the water pump) and the other pulley is your your AC. The AC is always mechanical regardless of year or model.

Be careful because there are two version of the AC tensioner pulley. I will post pix later

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetoranges View Post

So in the 2nd picture. I replaced "C","B", and H" And i'm having doubts about "F"
C & B & H are your three tensioner pullies
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
LUIE

My Ride: E46 318i, 1998 Model
I also replaced pullies C, B and H as in the above 2nd diagram by Flashtwosix about a month ago. Worry is, the same noise is coming back and louder. Though only for 2 or 3 minutes after starting the engine then it goes quiet. Im also beginning not to trust pulley F (aircon). Anyone with similar previous experience or any suggestions?? Thanx in advance.
LUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Ah...check the SAP pump after the car has been sitting a while. It only comes on when the car is cold. If that's it, no worries other than 2 mins. of squealing. Mine has done that for a while and it's just the impeller rubbing inside its plastic housing.

You're welcome!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
@ttrinh9
Dear lord that's horrid failed bearing noise.
My wife heard your video down the hallway... She couldn't believe how bad your pulleys sounded.
Since your pulleys are that bad, it's time to do the complete cooling system overhaul. Not just what "other" maintenance you should replace... The whole system (less radiator, perhaps.)

Where's Mango? I'm surprised he's not chimed in. Must be an off week.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
M//teche46er

bmw will only sell the updated belt tensioner which is the hydraulic one. Change both belts and root problem of cause assuming that its mechanical tensioner..

Royce

Last edited by M//teche46er; 09-30-2012 at 10:29 AM.
M//teche46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
3 3 0 C i

My Ride: 528xi
From the position of the camera/sound it might be the alternator, too. If you're going to DIY, take the snorkel and fan out and you'll know where it's coming from. If you're not going to DIY then take it to someone and they'll DIFY. The pulleys are like 25$ each. I got mine from oembimmerparts.com, but yours sounds like it might be the alternator.

You can have the snorkel / airbox / fan shroud (as long as you have electric fan) out in 15 mins and you'll be able to see better where the sound is coming from.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by M//teche46er View Post
bmw will only sell the updated belt tensioner which is the hydraulic one. Change both belts and root problem of cause assuming that its mechanical tensioner..

Royce
Autozone has the OE maker INA pulleys for either tensioner and the idler...and the mechanical tensioner seems to hold up well...so you can spend $20 or so or $100 or so for hydraulic conversion. Also, you can get the entire mechanical tensioner assembly also...just not from bmw.

OP, I agree your issue is nasty pulleys...above I was responding to the poster whose sound dissappeared after 2 mins...and I think he'll find his sound is SAP...got confused from threadjacking!

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
M//teche46er

Ok theres a reason y they updated the part, maybe a year or so the later it can fail again..Smh..who the hell buys Bmw parts from AutoZone. Take his advice and go buy the mecahnical one again, just trying to help keep the same problem from reoccuring. (certified tech)

Royce
Old 09-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
dmax

Quote:
Ok theres a reason y they updated the part, maybe a year or so the later it can fail again..Smh..who the hell buys Bmw parts from AutoZone. Take his advice and go buy the mecahnical one again, just trying to help keep the same problem from reoccuring. (certified tech)

Royce
...and yet my mechanical tensioner is fine at 238K miles...and I can't recall of one having failed here. Maybe they had a better price from hydraulic tensioner supplier?

In any case, many here buy pulleys from Autozone...they're Dayco Pullies with OE maker's mark, "INA" on it. Made in beautiful Slovakia and Yugoslavia, where they're known for their fine bearing work and cured meats.

(certifiable)

Doug

(See threads with "mechanical tensioner" in thread title for PNs if anyone wants)

Please 'friend' me!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:

Royce
INA is one of the OES to BMW for their pullies. Autozone happens to carry INA.

U will be surprised what autozone carries. I buy 40% of my stuff from the dealership, 59% from places that carries OEM/OES and the remaining 1% is from places like autozone that carries reliable/proven components (i.e 49DL battery, sks hub bearing and INA pullies)

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
M//teche46er

ill buy all my mechanical parts and fluids from BMW regardless ill use my discount and do it myself, i understand you dont fix ur car on your own so in your case i understand why you buy certain parts from elsewhere, that is your preference.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Hey, I have same exact sound coming from my car! Could you please tell what pulley it was?
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
BlackenWkN

My Ride: 03 330Ci
I just fixed this noise on my 330ci it's pretty easy to do I replaced both pulleys and serpentine belt which was a bitch to put back on at least for the hydrolic tensioner it is but it fixed my noise and made the car run alot smoother

Last edited by BlackenWkN; 03-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
BlackenWkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
BlackenWkN

My Ride: 03 330Ci
About 120 from oriellys( both pulleys and belt) I'm sure you can find it cheaper on the web just didn't wanna wait for it to come in the mail

Tags
idler, noise, pulleys, squeal, tensioner