E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
triksterut

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert
E46 M3 AA Stage 2 - Issues With Idle After ECU Update

Hey all,

So I've been having some issues. I got the Stage 2 setup installed and drove it around with the previous Stage 1.5 tune. It was a little "laggy" on the throttle but it ran great. I got the Stage 2 base tune from Active and flashed it using their Simon tool - now I can't get the thing to idle or return to idle. Sometimes it will be fine then it will just start having issues. I was supposed to go dyno tune it today but I don't want to strap it on the dyno with any issues.

Here are some video's showing my issue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63602968@N08/8034168840/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63602968@N08/8034168935/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63602968@N08/8034168728/

It's possible that it had this issue with the Stage 1.5 tune and I didn't notice since I only drove it a few times - but after driving this thing around with the Stage 2 tune I KNOW I would have noticed. It's almost un-driveable.

Zak over at Active has sent me 2 tunes in an attempt to fix the idle. They've had no effect except for maybe increasing the idle RPM's. He seems at a loss (which worries me) LOL.

I. We've hooked it up to a nice Snapon smoke machine to pump pressurized smoke into the system and there are no leaks
II. FPR reads a nice 52psi at idle with no vacuum (per Active spec)
III. The car only has 43k miles on it; I can't see the IAC valve dying like that since it was perfect.
IV. I'm sure all the coils are good or it would run like crap. But, at speed, it's fine.
V. No trouble codes or mis-fires. Although I'm shocked given how rough the idle is at times.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks all.

Jeremy
triksterut is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
myOwnM3

My Ride: 00 S4
did you reset your adaptation after you put the new tune?
myOwnM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
How does ur AFR looks? Crapped out o2's

Edit: Saw the First VIDEO. I would get a Wideband gauge to show u what is going on. When u restart do u get a cloud of black smoke?

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 09-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
EpicM3SC

My Ride: Supercharged M3
Do you have an AFR gauge ?

I upgraded from Stage 1.5 to Stage 2 last weekend and my AFR at idle is around 17 ... way too lean.

And my car behave like yours, so you may have the same issue.

I've asked AA to modify my tune, waiting for their feedback.

Last edited by EpicM3SC; 09-29-2012 at 03:43 AM.
EpicM3SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
triksterut

Quote:
did you reset your adaptation after you put the new tune?
This is on the list of things to try. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve a trip to the dealer?

[QUOTE]Saw the First VIDEO. I would get a Wideband gauge to show u what is going on. When u restart do u get a cloud of black smoke?[QUOTE]

I'm getting a wide band; I was hopeful that with the plug and play nature of the kit that I wouldn't need it. But now I'm nervous and want one for sure I'm going to order the stealth mirror AEM guages; probably take a week or two - have to see if I can borrow one in the mean time. There do not appear to be any clouds of smoke (like it's running way way rich).

I don't think it's a bad O2 - it runs fine up top and I'm pulling no codes. If my O2 was bad it would run like crap all over the place I think.

Thanks for the leads guys. Seems to be check the AFR's
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
No my o2's are crap and no codes, but afr is crazy
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Reset your adaptations and also do a idle calibration - take it to a shop that has a GT1 and they should be able to do this for you.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
triksterut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A55A55IN View Post
Reset your adaptations and also do a idle calibration - take it to a shop that has a GT1 and they should be able to do this for you.
So, if I get an idle calibration done - will that be cleared when I update the firmware with a new tune from Active?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
AMG-ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by triksterut View Post
So, if I get an idle calibration done - will that be cleared when I update the firmware with a new tune from Active?
I don't think the active tune touches the idle calibration but I would recoomended that you do the idle calibartion after the new tune from Active is uploaded.

Maybe even drive it around a bit after the tune is uplaoded and then do the idle calibration.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
triksterut

Hey all,

Just an update on this; still working with Zak over at Active we've gone through a few tunes (5 or so) nothing really helping a lot. It does, in fact, idle and such with the 1.5 tune - but runs too rich and backfires a tad (as would be expected) but I can't make it die.

So, when I first installed the the Stage 1.5 (previous to that I was NA) we cleared the adaptations. The Active software actually completely disables the adaptations. I just ordered the nifty rear view mirror PLX system that Scott over at http://www.radar-mirror.com sells with a wide-band and boost gauge. Also ordered the PLX Kiwi so I can log all my fuel trims and what not. That should help us figure out what's up.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
AMG-ETR

Did you perform the idle calibration after resetting the adaptations?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
triksterut

Sorry guys; got really busy and didn't have time to deal with it. I got my adaptations cleared which had no effect. However; their little service tool gave me some codes to look out for - it's odd they didn't show up with my OBD2 reader at all:

Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Looks like you're getting a TPS code. Check the TPS on the front of the throttle bodies and make sure it's properly connected. If it is, clear the code and see if it comes back. If it returns, you need a TPS.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Zak@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: '94 325is
After reviewing data logs that were sent to me I found that his long term fuel trims still had a value stored. From what I can see the adaptations were not properly cleared. For future reference not all tools have the ability to do this. I would only trust INPA, GT1, or an Autologic unit.

Software Engineer
www.activeautowerke.com
Zak@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
EpicM3SC

Did you solved your issue ?

As I have the same issue on my car, I would love to know the solution you found

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
triksterut

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay; had to go out of town and I'm just now getting back to it. First, I went to a local shop close to me and used both a Snapon Motec unit, and an Autologic unit to reset both the throttle and VANOS adaptations. After plugging in my nifty PLX Kiwi OBD2 reader - it still showed long term fuel trims. I just got back from the actual BMW dealership and got to watch the shop foreman actually use the shop computer to do the same thing and run an "Idle Synchronization" procedure. The local shop guys were dicks and charged me $100 bucks for 15 minutes. The BMW dealership charged me for their actual 1/2 hour of work it was nice. But I still have the same issue.

Sometimes it idles great. Then it doesn't. I can't seem to find a pattern or routine. So, now back to square one. I would replace my IAC valve but it worked perfectly prior to my Stage 2 upgrade and my car has 40k miles on it. The BMW shop guys say those things very rarely go bad. It's like a $50 part so I'm going to order one anyway. But I have no idea what to do next.

Quote:
As I have the same issue on my car, I would love to know the solution you found
Epic - Are you running Stage 2? Did you upgrade from a previous kit? What have you tried?

Ugh.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
AMG-ETR

Strange that it sometimes idles good and sometimes it doesn't. Have you pressure tested the system? I would perform a smoke test just to be sure.

Also, check the hose that connects to the ICV

Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
triksterut

Yeah, the inconsistency is really the odd thing here. Although it doesn't idle more than it idles. For example, when I took it to the dealership this morning it started and ran perfectly. Didn't die or idle surge once in the 30 minute trip. Then, on my way home from the dealership I couldn't keep it running. I've run a nice snapon smoke machine on it and there are no leaks. I just visually inspected that hose and it looks new (the car has 40k miles on it). I'm pretty sure it's something up with the tune but I really can't get a feel until I get me AFR's (wide band on the way). It idles bad enough that it would have to be a major leak; that would certainly have shown up under smoke.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
EpicM3SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by triksterut View Post
Epic - Are you running Stage 2? Did you upgrade from a previous kit? What have you tried?
I had a Stage 1.5 for 2 years, the car was running perfectly fine, no issue at all.

Then I upgraded to Stage 2 a month ago. I first started the car with the Stage 1.5 tune to check if everything was ok before flashing the DME with the Stage 2 tune.
The car started instantaneously, the idle was perfect, no issue at all except that the car was running rich because of the new injectors.

Then I put the Stage 2 tune, and now my idle is not stable and the car sometimes stall coming to a stop.
I've checked my AFR, everything is fine when I drive the car, it's around 14.7 at stabilized speed and slowing climbing from 10.8 to 11.8 when I do a pull.
But at idle my AFR is around 17 which is way too lean.

Is it the tune or something else, I don't know.

Didn't had time to do more about the issue, except sending a mail to AA, but no response yet.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
AMG-ETR

Might be worth to ask Active if they changed anything tune related with the Stage 2. Seems like you are both having the same issues.

Last edited by AMG-ETR; 10-19-2012 at 03:28 PM.