E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
E46 Convertible Hardtop prep kit info needed

Hell-o all. I'm new to the forum, having just purchased a '05 330Ci last week. I was just able to purchase a hard top today for a very reasonable price ($500) including storage rack & cover. I have been told that I need to purchase & install a "Prep. kit" in order to actually put the top on. I see it listed on the parts list as, (Item #2) #54217146749 HARDTOP-PREPARATION (from 09/03) as looking at the parts layout below
[IMG][/IMG]
Can anyone tell me what this consists of?
Does anyone out there have a kit the want to sell cheap?
Thanks,

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Don't know the details, but essentially it's the wiring, pins, screws, and lighting for the hardtop. Sorry that's not much info, but I've never had one. My guess is that you'll have to get it from a dealer. What type of detail did you need? I could ask a friend who got a hardtop with his car.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
WickedZeus

My Ride: 06' e46 M3 vert
The kit is needed to get the electrical stuff in the hardtop to work (lights, defroster). It's also needed to lock down the hardtop in the back. I picked mine up from ECS Tuning for a reasonable price and I know there's a DIY somewhere on the forum that walks you through how to put it yourself.

SS V2 Stepped | CPI EURO 200R | SS X-pipe | Scorza | CSL Airbox | TTFS
APEX ARC-8 Square | Michelin PSS | Vogtland | KONI Sport | Rogue
BSW Stage 1 w/ woofer | Orion V2 AE's | AS SSK 30% | RE Pulleys

Coming Soon
CSL Vert Trunk
WickedZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
silber92

My Ride: 330CiC
It's an easy install once you've gotten the kit. Mine came with the hardtop I bought, but I think they retail for around $125. It consists of the left and right mounting brackets, four bolts and necessary wiring. There's a post somewhere on the forum about how you can do the install without removing the rear seat and quarter panel trim. I wanted to make sure the wiring was routed out of the way of the top mechanism when I did mine, so I removed the trim. Adds about 30 minutes to the job.

Brackets are side specific, and make sure you mount them correctly. They are marked, so it's not too difficult.

Great buy on the hardtop too! At that price, you won't regret it. It makes the cabrios look and feel like a totally different car.
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
jbehr99

My Ride: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
I purchased my kit from the dealer for around $125. I asked for the installation instructions and it was very easy to install, just followed the instructions. The kit is needed to power the hardtops lights and defroster and it allows the top to lock down in the back. Once installed, it is left on for the life of the car and makes putting and removing the hardtop a couple minute job at the most. I love my hardtop and every winter I can't wait to put it on as in a way, it makes it seem like I'm driving a little bit differen car.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
It looks like the hardtop preparation kit has the left and right rear pin receivers along with the left and right wiring connectors, wiring harness and bolts. What I can't figure out is realoem.com lists two of the nuts (# 4 in the diagram at the top of this post) and one "Adapter, hardtop" (#3). The price of the preparation kit is $146.95, which isn't too bad, but the "Adapter, hard top" piece is $630.00! What is this adapter for? What does it do? It looks like a pretty substantial piece but I can't figure out what it's for. I'd like to prep my 2004 325CI in the event I can find a used removable hard top within driving distance.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
I haven't seen anyone that actually needed the adapter kit, what you need is simply the hardtop preparation kit. As some of the other guys have stated, I have it available (LINK). Below is a photo showing exactly what comes in the kit.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
jbehr99

My Ride: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
I haven't seen anyone that actually needed the adapter kit, what you need is simply the hardtop preparation kit. As some of the other guys have stated, I have it available (LINK). Below is a photo showing exactly what comes in the kit.

+1, my car did not need an adapter kit and it was not pre set up from the factory for the hardtop. It only needed the prep kit listed above by ECS.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
OK, that's good news. Do any of you guys know what that adapter part is for? Maybe it is a part that is already on my car (I can't tell by the diagram where it fits or what it even does). It would be sweet if all I needed were the parts in the pic ECSTuning posted. I checked on realoem's site for the part. My 04's build date was 03/03 and it says the part is no longer available but I see under hardtop-preperation it lists a part number of 54218268922, then it says in the "up to" column 09/2003, under "notes" it says +core, ENDED, See EBA 0009975. Anyone know what the EBA 0009975 notes would mean or where I could find out? I am wondering if it was replaced by a later/updated part because if I look at my same vehicle with a build date of 09/2003 or later it lists a part number of 54217146749 for $146.95 with a notation See EBA 0009975. I am kind of confused about this "EBA" stuff. Hopefully there were not any differences with my earlier build that would make it incompatible with the newer part number 54217146749.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote