E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
BenC_M3

My Ride: M3 Comp Pack
Drove the M3 home from Adelaide to Brisbane ..

Well as the title suggests the M3 sits in my garage now after a fairly straight forward drive from SA up through Hay, onto Dubbo, Morree, Warwick and then home .. All up 1.5 days .. Left 11.00am Sunday after flying down with a mate and we drove in the driveway 9.00pm last night .. 15hr drive yesterday shared driving .. Car ran sweet as a button, never putting a foot wrong .. The roos on the other hand, we had two near misses. We tried to not drive at night if possible due to the sheer number of roos, dead roos every 50-100 meters in places.. I didn't count the dead ones but there would have been hundreds ..
We only 'saw' 3 along side the road, one jumped across our path left to right about 10 metres in front of the car, I had to swerve ever so slightly but the oncoming car didn't see it and he hit it head on right beside us in the oncoming lane.. Sort of glad he didn't see it really as he may have swerved towards us !
The other roo incident was early morning after we headed off from hay at 5.00am, one jumped out towards us as we were alongside it but again we out outmaneuvered the crazy jumper and kept on our way ..

We came across a stretch of road just south of Forbes where the road looked to have been flood damaged and was under repair. There were whole chunks of road ripped up and in it's place was gravel, big chuncky window smashing, head light breaking gravel ... we slowed way down and weaved our way through the minefield of potential disasters only to have a truck come barreling through with total disregard for everyone else on the road throwing a huge shower of rocks over us .. A couple hit the windscreen and one golfball sized meteor smashed into the drivers side door (pic attached) removing my paint as it went on its way ... I didn't actually see the damage until we got into Forbes.. After crying for a while and a few hugs we were on our way again.. I remember thinking to myself "holy shiat, we're not even half way and this has happened, what will the rest of the trip be like"
So after 15hrs drive time on Monday there were no other incidents thankfully. We passed two Ceva Transport trucks on our travels and I have to say they really don't offer much protection at all.. The car on top behind the cabin was a porsche and it was positioned in a way that offered no protection from anything !

We stuck mostly to the speed limits apart from the occasional overtaking of slower vehicles and rarely saw any police.. We were pulled over in a small township for having our fog lights on but the copper was a nice chappy ..

We called into maccas at Warwick for a toilet stop and saw on the news that terrible crash up at Hervey Bay where 5 people tragically lost their lives.. They were driving on the freeway just as we were.. I was reminded how short life can be and immediately thought of my own family at home awaiting my safe return .. It was great to drive in the driveway at home and have my two kids run out to meet me !!

The car has been cleaned today and apart from some paint missing it looks a million dollars, Craig the seller was a top bloke too and was very thorough with the changeover, so all in all very happy but will need to fix the door ..

So, would I drive home from down south again ... ??

I really don't know ... Part of me says no, part of me says yes ..

I'll take a proper pic of clean car tomorrow ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	472083  
Audi TT - Sold

See our latest work: http://www.benclarkphotography.com.au/blog
Master Photographer (AIPP) - Aust Inst of Professional Photographers
BenC_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.