E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
bimmerwinter

My Ride: 2004 GMC Yukon
2002 330xi in winter hill

I live out in the country in Iowa and all we have now are 4x4s. I am looking to get a 330xi because of the awd. The reason I have to have 4wd/awd is I live on a steep lane that sometimes goes unplowed. I know once it is plowed, I can make it in anything. I just want to know if it will make it up the hill after a snow, and how deep you think is too deep for it. Also, i was hopeing to get a manuel, but i want to know if you think an automatic bmw would be better in snow (and yes, i know how to drive stick, my old GMC truck was a stick). Thanks for all responses.
bimmerwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
With a good set of snow tires, the Xi will dominate all. I've driven through 16 inches of snow before and followed my friend's jeep through mostly everything. Only time I got stuck is when I stopped and sunk in, the only reason for this is lack of ground clearance though.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
yo_marc

My Ride: 05 325xi
I'm sorry, I don't an Xi is good for any snow over 7 inches, max. And that's fresh snow. Solid or frozen stuff, I'd limit it to 4 inches. All you need to do is hit a solid clump left by a plow or what have you, and it's going to take out the lower front air dam and potentially the shields underneath.

Plows in my area do a lousy job of cleaning up my road. I cringe when I see any ruts or junk left behind... I've bottomed my wifes Xi out a few times.

I prefer manuals in the snow. I like autos for commuting or relaxing drives. Manual for when you need full control of the vehicle.

Last edited by yo_marc; 10-01-2012 at 04:14 PM.
yo_marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
bimmerwinter

My Ride: 2004 GMC Yukon
Thanks for all the help guys. I have always wanted a BMW since I was a kid. I am glad that the xi's can handle the snowy stuff, and that the Manuel in them is geared right that it will work in snow. I knew the quattro would work, but I have always preferred bimmers, so I'm glad to know it will work. I will be looking towards a 330 with a manuel so I can enjoy it during the other three seasons.
bimmerwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
yo_marc

My Ride: 05 325xi

They're definitely fun in the snow! I just wouldn't use one to bust through snowbanks

The balance of the car and the power distribution make the car a blast to drive. Plenty of 'steering with the right foot' when traction control is disabled.
yo_marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo_marc View Post

They're definitely fun in the snow! I just wouldn't use one to bust through snowbanks
Cannot emphasize this enough. While the car will dominate snow with the right set of tires, it is not and will never be a 7000lb body on frame truck that can blast through snow banks like nothing ever happened. If you try to do that, you will get stuck and will also have an excuse to buy a new front bumper.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
TheJonRoss

My Ride: 2002 325xi, 2005 X5
My 325xi with Kumho Ectsa 4x's rips it up in the snow. I've had four 4x4 trucks, and although they could plow through anything, my Xi still feels better on an icy road.

BMWCCA# 473325

Join the Experience
TheJonRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
4 New england winters on Conti Contacts and no problems.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
willkenni05

My Ride: '06 330xi
I had a '02 325xi auto on conti contacts for the past two NE Iowa winters, never had an issue. Like it was said earlier, I too felt a bit more secure driving that on an icy road than rumbling around in my F-150, like I had mor control... Now I upgraded to an '04 330xi w/6 speed so I'm excited to see how that handles the white stuff
willkenni05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Having an automatic XI, yes, mine is a snow cat in the Pacific Northwest. I'm a fan of studless, Goodrich Blizzak type tires for winter. All season flavors don't cut it here. Never had a problem ascending scary hills or ice situations. I leave DSC on and have seen the traction control lamp flicker while worming through, let's say, challenging conditions. I have not nor will consider lowering my car. The extra height helps clear the air dam when running on unplowed, rutted roads should you slip off into the trench.

Great cars auto or manual. I've actually tried to perform "bat turns" jacking the wheel while gassing her. No deal and no fun. You have to disable DSC to play "drifting" driver.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
2001 330xi takes me from Portland, OR to Bend, OR (I5 S to Hwy 22 East) every month all year long. Do a google map on this road and you'll see it is windy, has a 4000' summit, and a joy to drive on wet or snow covered roads.

I drive on Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and couldn't be happier. They run well in wet and snow and are all season so no swapping.

I have never put chains on the car even in the dead of winter with plowed snow on roads. I have not gone on unplowed roads. That is for my Yukon Denali.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
TRGRENIER

My Ride: 325xi
I have a 2004 325xi, with b30 stroker kit, I live in north west Canada, and have pushed the car threw many un plowed roads the air dam does fill with snow but the rash guard does seem to hold up pretty well. I can also say people are amazed when a little sedan pulls tundras and small suv's out the ditch. Only thing that sucks is the dsc does make it hard to get out of the way of traffic from a stop.
TRGRENIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
If you are looking at buying a 330xi with a manual transmission i'd get the later 03+ 6 speed. I've driven 5 and 6 speeds back to back and much prefer the 6 speeds! Hope you find the perfect car

Last edited by redbull 325is; 11-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330xi, automatic transmission, hill, manuel transmission, winter