E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
DRICHFL

My Ride: 330ci
Bimmergarage thanks for the tip!

Mango the point you don't understand is that parts can fail reguardless. It could be defect or design flaw. The fact is that you truely don't know when a part will fail that is why they make replacement parts for when they do. In college some of my classmates worked at the local factory that built car autoparts. The would tell me all the time that they built parts for brand X, brand Z, brand G and etc... and put them in diference boxes. It did not matter they all where OEM parts for Big Brand company, as well as off brand. Mango you have failing victim of good marketing. You believe new parts don't fail and that it has to be a certain brand in order to not fail. Keep living my friend, seeing is believing. The car was starting to over heat do to part failure. The dealer milked my warranty and replace all the parts from BMW stock. Mango, you could be right BMW could have replace the parts from another source beside them. However, I have to trust there judgement because they honored the warranty and repaired the car. They gave me a list and put it in there computer system under my vin.

I can agree that e46 are nice but not perfect. Is it my fault that the plastic window switch broke. Oh yeah I should have not use the switch. The driverside door actuator broke , Oh I should not lock the door. The door key cylinder broke off, Oh I should not try to unlock the door with the key. My point is some. Parts fail even when they should be more reliable. All the parts were built for and by BMW. Things happen.
DRICHFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRICHFL View Post
Bimmergarage thanks for the tip!

Mango the point you don't understand is that parts can fail reguardless. It could be defect or design flaw. The fact is that you truely don't know when a part will fail that is why they make replacement parts for when they do. In college some of my classmates worked at the local factory that built car autoparts. The would tell me all the time that they built parts for brand X, brand Z, brand G and etc... and put them in diference boxes. It did not matter they all where OEM parts for Big Brand company, as well as off brand. Mango you have failing victim of good marketing. You believe new parts don't fail and that it has to be a certain brand in order to not fail. Keep living my friend, seeing is believing. The car was starting to over heat do to part failure. The dealer milked my warranty and replace all the parts from BMW stock. Mango, you could be right BMW could have replace the parts from another source beside them. However, I have to trust there judgement because they honored the warranty and repaired the car. They gave me a list and put it in there computer system under my vin.

I can agree that e46 are nice but not perfect. Is it my fault that the plastic window switch broke. Oh yeah I should have not use the switch. The driverside door actuator broke , Oh I should not lock the door. The door key cylinder broke off, Oh I should not try to unlock the door with the key. My point is some. Parts fail even when they should be more reliable. All the parts were built for and by BMW. Things happen.
You do not tell me how things work, my son. It's the other way around. Didn't even bother to read any of what you just posted here. Just know this: you are the one with the failed cooling system. Not me. You should be taking advice, not giving it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
The car sat idling for about 45 minutes or so. I had the heater on while it sat park idlin since I just replace the coolent. Then all of a sudden an explosion, "BOM-BAM!!! Coolant everywhere open the hood and the Coolant Expansion Tank was blown apart and took my Radiator with it. I was sure I bleed the system and the car was not running hot.

What could have cause this? I have change the coolant several times in this car so I'm not a roockie to this.

So now I have to buy another expansion tank and radiator.
Two mistakes here:

1. You didn't bleed your coolant system properly after you replaced the coolant. I have done this. I thought I bled it right but didn't. You have to really let that coolant bubble out for a long time, and massage that upper hose to get every little bit of air out. and you have to REMOVE the extra from the expansion tank afterwards. Absolutely essential.
2. You weren't sitting in your car monitoring it. If you were, you would have gotten a temp increase above normal, and shut it down before such a catastrophic failure of the system.

EDIT: also for your own personal development I recommend reading this:

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com...eretheyre.html

Last edited by Schlag96; 09-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
Two mistakes here:

1. You didn't bleed your coolant system properly after you replaced the coolant. I have done this. I thought I bled it right but didn't. You have to really let that coolant bubble out for a long time, and massage that upper hose to get every little bit of air out. and you have to REMOVE the extra from the expansion tank afterwards. Absolutely essential.
2. You weren't sitting in your car monitoring it. If you were, you would have gotten a temp increase above normal, and shut it down before such a catastrophic failure of the system.

EDIT: also for your own personal development I recommend reading this:

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com...eretheyre.html
Look at the Schlag manning up stepping up to the plate! I should do a "the truth about schlag" post.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
DRICHFL

Schlag, LOL!!

I'm using my phones, so forgive my grammer...

I was thinking the samething about bleeding. I have changed the coolant several times in the past and never had any issues. It is very possible that an air pocket devloped. I was outside the car allowing the heater to run while taking a peep at the temp gauge now and then. It was sudden and I shut the engine off and saw the blown tank.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Schlag, LOL!!

I'm using my phones, so forgive my grammer...

I was thinking the samething about bleeding. I have changed the coolant several times in the past and never had any issues. It is very possible that an air pocket devloped. I was outside the car allowing the heater to run while taking a peep at the temp gauge now and then. It was sudden and I shut the engine off and saw the blown tank.
how about spelling?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #27
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
warning:

i had the same problem happen twice. that's right, my fan blew twice. reason was that the first time, i made a huge mistake by not replacing the water pump. the water pump had enough play to cause the fan blades to hit the top of of the engine(fuel rail?), and disintegrate. make sure you change the water pump and thermostat!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Just out of curiosity, are the chances of the fan blades disintegrating less in a manual transmission car with the electric fan? 11 year old 165,000 mile E46 checking in, with original electric fan.

I cannot believe the fawking damage that it caused to OP's car. Especially the skid plate, that thing is solid! Not to mention f'n expensive, like $120 or something. Jesus. what a mess.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

the fan blades in an electric fan don't have a solid 10-lb piece of metal driving it. electric fan blades dont break. just not a problem with those. this is just a mechanical belt-driven fan problem

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
the fan blades in an electric fan don't have a solid 10-lb piece of metal driving it. electric fan blades dont break. just not a problem with those. this is just a mechanical belt-driven fan problem
Phew.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
I was outside the car allowing the heater to run while taking a peep at the temp gauge now and then. It was sudden and I shut the engine off and saw the blown tank.
The heater actually helps decrease the coolant temp... it opens the path to the heater core. That's why you are supposed to turn the heater on while you fill the coolant. When my car was having cooling issues I'd have to turn on the heater to keep it from overheating sometimes. so if you were overheating with your heater on, then you had serious issues.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #32
DRICHFL

Cobra thanks!

Mango thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
DRICHFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
The heater actually helps decrease the coolant temp... it opens the path to the heater core. That's why you are supposed to turn the heater on while you fill the coolant. When my car was having cooling issues I'd have to turn on the heater to keep it from overheating sometimes. so if you were overheating with your heater on, then you had serious issues.
I never seen the engine temp above normal and that is what puzzled me.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #34
DRICHFL

Pulled the water pump off and it looked new. The water pump was sturdy and the impeller was not damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120918_161828.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	469927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120918_161939[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	469928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120918_161926.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	469929  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
warning:
i had the same problem happen twice. that's right, my fan blew twice. reason was that the first time, i made a huge mistake by not replacing the water pump. the water pump had enough play to cause the fan blades to hit the top of of the engine(fuel rail?), and disintegrate. make sure you change the water pump and thermostat!
yep there is often a reason these break and that's because of them hitting something, like the shroud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I would also look into having the engine mounts checked out.
and why is that people? because when a motor mount goes bad it makes the engine rock. when the engine with the mech fan connected to it rocks it hits the stationary shroud of the radiator and THEN the fan breaks blades and causes damage. people are way to quick to blame the mech fan when it's something else. like a seized water pump or pulley. even in the cases where it is the mech fan it normally can be heard and somewhat felt and thus replaced. don't keep up on basic inspection and bigger things go out.
Quote:
I'm not sure why this happen. Could it be a weak expansion tank, bad cap or the radiator had a weak spot. Im just not sure.
personally from those photos it looks like the process holding the plastic top section(glue/epoxy) to the e-tank body could have been faulty. i would think the cap would have let out pressure before that top being the weakest link. also when expansion tanks go it's from a fracture over time making the plastic brittle. this is new plastic and that would not have been the case. you can see how the weakest link was the glue on the top. i would certainly check the cap too.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #36
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Pulled the water pump off and it looked new. The water pump was sturdy and the impeller was not damaged.
that water pump looks pretty good. probably recently replaced

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #37
pic27

My Ride: BMW 2002 325i
Please see the write up on transmission fluid on the link below (towards bottom of thread by eeskinazi) Essentially
- Esso LT71141 = Mobil LT71141 = BMW 83229407807 = Volkswagen G-052-162-A2
- Pentosin ATF1, BG Universal Synthetic ATF and Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF are compatible
- Valvoline and Mobil 1 are no longer marked as compatible

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.ph...77/#post-46284
pic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
yo_marc

My Ride: 05 325xi
How would improperly bleeding the cooling system cause an expansion tank to fail? Isn't the cap supposed to vent at approximately 14psi?
yo_marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
yo_marc

My Ride: 05 325xi
Also...

What exactly are people doing in their cars when the fans explode?

Is the fan clutch engaged? What RPM's?

I find it hard to believe these things just let go and cause this kind of damage.
yo_marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Man that sucks.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote