E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Yep, it's about as useful as a submarine with flyscreens
...and cars so low to the ground handling is hindered. Or 19X9 rims with a 235 tire?

End of the day...Your money, your car. With money, anything can happen on any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
i agree with chase. half of what we go through is only noticeable to us and most of it is rather inconvenient. I spent 4 hours outside in the hot sun in my driveway applying shadowline vinyl to the chrome trim on my coupe. Each and every person in my family walked by and said, What the Fvck are you doing. Once i told them i was going from chrome to matte black? they looked at me like i was crazy and said they never would have noticed. So really all the things we do in general apply to us and the e46 community. thats it. personally i think a start button is freaking awesome. yes it seems a little absurd because its function is useless compared to a real start button but hey? I don't smoke and never will use the cigarette lighter. so why not a start button instead?

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
And a slammed car with splitters isn't inconvenient? Of all the mods I've done to my car (or the forum at large), such a tiny percentage of them are actually convenient. Vented hoods, lowered cars, loud exhausts, carbon this or that, etc... all just for a unique look or fun factor.

For what it's worth, I only use my push button once in a blue moon. Maybe once every few months. But, it certainly looks cooler sitting next to the v1 hidden display than the cigarett lighter
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a push button start but only as a convenience feature. I would put it in the same category as autodim/auto tilt mirrors, driver memory features, integrated bluetooth, etc. I just don't think it should be installed based on the "cool factor" and shouldn't be compared to aftermarket bumpers, wheels, etc. Exterior mods are seen by many more people and they can completely change the appearance of the car. A small button that reads "Engine Start" will not do this. Personally, push button start is only "cool" if it removes a step in the process.

However, I totally agree with you that it looks much better than the cig lighter that would be there in your car. It compliments the V1 quite nicely.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
hummermaniac88

My Ride: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a push button start but only as a convenience feature. I would put it in the same category as autodim/auto tilt mirrors, driver memory features, integrated bluetooth, etc. I just don't think it should be installed based on the "cool factor" and shouldn't be compared to aftermarket bumpers, wheels, etc. Exterior mods are seen by many more people and they can completely change the appearance of the car. A small button that reads "Engine Start" will not do this. Personally, push button start is only "cool" if it removes a step in the process.

However, I totally agree with you that it looks much better than the cig lighter that would be there in your car. It compliments the V1 quite nicely.
Well said, I do agree most mods might be inconvenient, but what can I say? Love is powerful.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Button is like 160 bucks... you can buy ones on ebay for literally 1/100th that price that will work. Maybe expensive is the wrong word... overpriced?

Sorry to rant and go off topic but this came up in the other thread and just irked me
lol. Its okay. I was just messing with ya'll. I'll be the first to admit that I'm in love the quad pipes on your car by the way.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #26
boyguan

My Ride: 02 330i
the start button is only good on a car which does not need a key. otherwise dumbest thing out there.

i actually have one on my s2000 which came factory and i think its a pita. I wish it would start with the key as i gotta turn the key and then push a button.
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
ChiMaster

My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyguan View Post
the start button is only good on a car which does not need a key. otherwise dumbest thing out there.

i actually have one on my s2000 which came factory and i think its a pita. I wish it would start with the key as i gotta turn the key and then push a button.
Second that, my 09 328 has it. I still have to put the key fob in the slot push it once then push start - I don't get it.

To each their own I guess.
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
xaviman

My Ride: Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post

Delmarco: this is was i meant by riceness ^^^. i have to admit that i have always wanted a push start button, but this one only adds an extra step to start the car, i know this is freaking cool, maybe the idea you provided can work, but as it just adds an extra steep....it is just another sthetical mod we do to our cars.. just to enjoy it more ourselves and to impress chicks (lol). that said, maybe some borred day i will do it, but just for the joy, it isnt an improvement. And once again, you know the story of the fender grilles, i gotta live with them...affter all is my car and i love it like that, thats what matter rigth?. btw, i consider you the king of the diy's, try to do the button "fully" functional.

Chase: your car is one of the greatest out there, it looks way than a lot of m3's here.

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 12.36.33 PM by xaviman, on Flickr
Instagram: xaviman
xaviman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
Bimmerci330

My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals :)
Send a message via AIM to Bimmerci330
so someone should figure out a way to make it so you dont need the key, then it would be and i would do it in a heart beat.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
If you want a button that isn't nearly as expensive as the z8 one, just go with a s2000 button. You can get them new online for ~$35.00. I put on in my car and it's still one of my favorite interior mods. There was a DIY somewhere out the once upon a time that I used, but I couldn't find it.

And as far as being inconvenient, I figure I'm gonna more my hand down to the shifter anyway, so I can just press it then. It's not like it's placed under my seat or anything.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:

To those of you claiming that it is r1ce because it isn't functional, have we looked around at the number of people running angel eyes, aftermarket exhausts which give 0 hp, cf interiors, or endless numbers of other mods that people do solely for something unique, different, or cool?
all those things are cosmetic mods (except for the exhaust, 0 hp, but you save a lot of weight. oem exhaust is heavy). you just install it once and forget about it.

it's not that it isn't functional. it's redundant. if you turn it to position 2, just go a little more and there you go. why do you have to take your hand off to push a button?

it's like say, you have automatic door closing, but in order to use it, you have to first reach out and pull it in 75% of the way, and it will close on it's own the rest of the way. what's the point, you already did all of the work basically lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #32
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Im doing this soon except with a 2 way standard red push button I like it for the cool factor so whatev

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #33
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I did this on my 2000 Subaru Legacy when we did an engine swap. But, it didn't have a microchip in the key. It was all about taking the ignition cylinder and throwing power and ground with relays. It was pretty sick, I can take some pictures if anybody is interested.
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #34
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
What is the point of putting in the key, turning it to position two, then pushing a button to start it? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of

What he said.

Put the key on the outboard side of the steering column and I'll be impressed by your LeMans starts.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Is there a DIY on a button that turns the car over yet? One press, engine on, or maybe like my prius, one press while foot on brake turns engine on. Foot off brake and press button power comes on.

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
i like the idea of wiring it to the cigarette lighter so its more of a killswitch had this in my old 240sx and my mk1 jetta
xfixkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #37
325CiMaN

My Ride: 01 BMW 325ci 3.0L
I think its pretty cool, i would like to do this to my car and find done way to not have to insert key but insert it in a hidden location. So moving the sensor the detects the key to some where else, like my euro tray, or in the door panel hidden somewhere. Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
325CiMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
325CiMaN

My Ride: 01 BMW 325ci 3.0L
Quote:

To those of you claiming that it is r1ce because it isn't functional, have we looked around at the number of people running angel eyes, aftermarket exhausts which give 0 hp, cf interiors, or endless numbers of other mods that people do solely for something unique, different, or cool?

at 2010 yet again.

OP, just shoot me a message if you have any questions or need any help with the project. One thing I would suggest is getting a button other than the z8 one... cost/benefit ration just doesn't add up as the z8 button from the dealer ill run you 1/2 the cost of oem m3 mirrors Had i not found it on here used, never would have gotten it.
What is the screen to the right? Turbo timer?

325CiMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #39
Icaro

My Ride: BMW E46 PACKMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325CiMaN View Post
What is the screen to the right? Turbo timer?

yes... yes... What is the screen to the right?

/// ITīS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITīS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE ///
Icaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I think the original E36 push button start didn't require the key. Just unlocking the door with the key/alarm fob and pushing the button. Also you can enter a security alarm code in the OBC to disarm the ignition lock then push start. no key required at all.
That would kind of be not secure, don't you think? For all you know, I'm a stalker, and now I know that all I have to do is push the button, and drive off into the sunset.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote