E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #61
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Ohh quick question, can you use regular CD [ the one in dash not the CD changer] when you have this installed? [not using]
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #62
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegboi View Post
w00t! i'll be tackling this mod, this week.

my car is a '99 323i w/ HK system, & 6 cd changer mounted on the center upper deck in the trunk.
Whats style wheels are the ones on your car in sig?
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #63
marlon1perez

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Cd changer location

Hi, just got my car a week ago and i dont see any wire nor cd changer. Tnx
marlon1perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #64
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
If anyone's interested I have a cd changer for sale I'm asking 70 bucks shipped! Perfect for someone that wants to do this mod!

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #65
IndyBigs

My Ride: 330 CiC Convertible
I'm interested. Have you sold yet?
IndyBigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #66
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
Okay, just read this thread with interest. Just got an '01 325xi that has the Business CD but no Mode button, just AM/FM Button on top & Scan/CD Button below that. I don't think I've got the cd changer, I assume that you could see it visible in the trunk, right? It's not hidden under anything back there is it? Anyway, not knowing or not if this head unit is prewired for the cd changer or not, would the connector on the back of the unit be the same so either the "cable" or the "iPod adapter cable kit (link shown earlier) might work?

Thanks for any help, my wife wants to keep the stock look of the unit so IF one of these Aux mods work, that would be GREAT!
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #67
wolfxj

My Ride: 2001 E46 330i
2003 Alpine Unit - Perfect Upgrade!

Hi,

This post is aimed at helping E46 owners with older OEM Blaupunkt Business CD players, who want to play MP3s and improve the sound quality.

I just changed my OEM BMW Blaupunkt unit (2001 330i) to an OEM BMW Alpine Unit (Jan 2003 or newer) in order to fix an AUX Cable that can play MP3s or other audio through a standard stereo jack.

The only alteration I made was get a couple of Antena adapters from 'Future Shop' (Canada). The rest of the cables/ plugs fit exacty.

BMW also makes the Aux Cable for this stereo. I think its about $70 in Canada, if I remember correctly. (BMW Part No. 65120153503 - OEM Aux cable). However, I orderd one for about $25 on ebay, works perfectly.

The Alpine unit has much better sound compared to the Blaupunkt unit. The music simply comes alive. (I am also into music, sound and pro-audio, so I can safely say I understand the difference. To my ears the same CD plays so much better on the Alpine system.)

If you look hard and long you may come accross a Post on kijji/Craigslist for a 2003+ Alpine stereo for about $100 - $150 from some E46 owner, who may have gone the aftermarket route.

This is a clean and fail safe way to upgrade your stereo. Manintain OEM looks & controls. No cutting wires at all.

Hope this helps.

Any work performed related to this post is undertaken at the risk & responcibility of the reader. The author of this post assumes no liability in any form.

Wolfxj

Last edited by wolfxj; 10-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
wolfxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #68
Sil80m3

My Ride: 99 328i
Just did the mod today in about an hour, wanted to say thanks to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
Okay, just read this thread with interest. Just got an '01 325xi that has the Business CD but no Mode button, just AM/FM Button on top & Scan/CD Button below that. I don't think I've got the cd changer, I assume that you could see it visible in the trunk, right? It's not hidden under anything back there is it? Anyway, not knowing or not if this head unit is prewired for the cd changer or not, would the connector on the back of the unit be the same so either the "cable" or the "iPod adapter cable kit (link shown earlier) might work?

Thanks for any help, my wife wants to keep the stock look of the unit so IF one of these Aux mods work, that would be GREAT!
I have the same unit as you. My CD player is front and center when you open the trunk. It may be in a fuzzy gray box that you can open up. (I've seen a few pictures where it's on the left in the trunk).

And to anyone else trying to keep the CD player usable after this mod, i went to walmart and got some of these snap connectors for like 3 bucks

Here you can see the wires on the cable side connected with snap connectors. I am holding the 3 wires from the plug side.

Here's what i did:

Aux cable:
Gray - male snap connector
Red/white - female snap connectors

BMW wire side:
Gray - female snap connector
Red/white - male snap connectors

BMW plug side:
Gray - male snap connector
Red/white - female snap connectors

This ensures that you don't mix up the ground (gray) with the audio left and right (you can mix left and right, it doesn't matter all that much), and also ensures that you can switch the snap connectors between the stock CD player and your AUX wiring.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Sil80m3; 10-10-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Sil80m3 is offline   Reply With Quote