E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Can Merchants set a min. Purchase amount for Cards?

Bought a $1.15 bottle of water this morning at the gas station. Haji or whatever his name was, told me $2.00 minimum purchase amount for card transactions. I told him I work for Visa and we both know that's a violation of his merchant agreement. He sold me the water.

Am I right on this? I've heard so many conflicting reports, but is a merchant allowed to set a minimum purchase amount for cards?
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Rubenk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,696
My Ride: M35A2
An owner can set whatever policy he wants for his store as long as it doesnt break laws.

Seen plenty of 10$ minimum transaction places.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin
 
tim330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,106
My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
VISA use to prohibit this but the laws where changed recently.

http://blog.visa.com/2010/09/02/mini...over-minimums/

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Thanks Tim, looks like they can do minimums for Credit, but not debit.

Just what I wanted to know! I will report every last merchant that does this crap - accept the cost of doing business.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
An owner can set whatever policy he wants for his store as long as it doesnt break laws.

Seen plenty of 10$ minimum transaction places.
This is the worst post I've read in weeks. He's asking if it's illegal
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,951
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
who cares.

buy $2 worth of stuff cheapie.

some places are $5 or $10.

The reason why is because in addition to getting charged 1%-5% of the total, they also get charged a PER TRANSACTION FEE. Some of these are as high as $1.

So imagine if you owned a store that pays $10k per month in rent and $10k in payroll, and some clown wants to buy a bottle of water for $1.15 that costs you $1.75 to buy and process.

JMO.

PS - gas prices are often more when using credit that cash.

PPS - A merchant has the right the refuse service to anyone. I would tell your smartazz to get the hell out of my store.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 10-03-2012 at 08:30 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,299
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Wow, was his name really Haji or are you just being a racist asshat?
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
who cares.

buy $2 worth of stuff cheapie.

some places are $5 or $10.

The reason why is because in addition to getting charged 1%-5% of the total, they also get charged a PER TRANSACTION FEE. Some of these are as high as $1.

So imagine if you owned a store that pays $10k per month in rent and $10k in payroll, and some clown wants to buy a bottle of water for $1.15 that costs you $1.75 to buy and process.

JMO.
Your operation costs are not my problem. I will report every last merchant that does this. If I want a $1.15 bottle of water I shouldn't have to buy $3 of crap.

Visa clearly states that they are not allowed to do this on debit, ONLY credit cards.


It's so funny bringing this up and then telling the merchant you work for Visa and they can't do it.

It's awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Wow, was his name really Haji or are you just being a racist asshat?
Might of been Apu or something.

Skip to 0:24


Last edited by yousharenow; 10-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,951
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
Your operation costs are not my problem. I will report every last merchant that does this. If I want a $1.15 bottle of water I shouldn't have to buy $3 of crap.

Visa clearly states that they are not allowed to do this on debit, ONLY credit cards.


It's so funny bringing this up and then telling the merchant you work for Visa and they can't do it.

It's awesome.
Your time must be really important to you. It is people like you that make a bottle water go from $1.15 to $2.15.

Ever think of that?
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 10-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Rubenk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,696
My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
This is the worst post I've read in weeks. He's asking if it's illegal
He did not ask if it was illegal, he asked if it was a violation of their agreement with Visa.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Your time must be really important to you. It is people like you that make a bottle water go from $1.15 to $2.15.

Ever think of that?

Fine with me. Charge $1.99 for the bottle.

I can't even get a pack of gum for a dollar so do what you want, but you will not refuse my debit card with some retarded like lame $3-$5 min(which is what I find most charge)

Last edited by yousharenow; 10-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,951
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
Fine with me. Charge $1.99 for the bottle.

I can't even get a pack of gum for a dollar so do what you want, but you will not refuse my debit card with some retarded like lame $3-$5 min(which is what I find most charge)
You make no sense.

You have no problem paying $2 for a bottle of water, but you have a problem paying $2 for a bottle a water plus another item worth .85 ?

You have no problem paying $2 for a bottle of water, but you have a problem paying $2.30 for 2 bottles of water?

Brilliant.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
joeski3d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2000 323i
You always have the right to walk out of the store without making a purchase.
__________________

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
You make no sense.

You have no problem paying $2 for a bottle of water, but you have a problem paying $2 for a bottle a water plus another item worth .85 ?

You have no problem paying $2 for a bottle of water, but you have a problem paying $2.30 for 2 bottles of water?

Brilliant.

$2 was a bad example, as the average fee is $3-$5.

If I just want a water bottle thats $1.99, I don't want to HAVE to buy something else to satisfy a requirement that you are applying which violates your merchant agreement.


You guys are going to spend the next 30 replies playing devils advocate for the sake of it being the internet and its easy to troll on here.


I'm right.
You all know it.

Stop it.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,951
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
$2 was a bad example, as the average fee is $3-$5.

If I just want a water bottle thats $1.99, I don't want to HAVE to buy something else to satisfy a requirement that you are applying which violates your merchant agreement.


You guys are going to spend the next 30 replies playing devils advocate for the sake of it being the internet and its easy to troll on here.


I'm right.
You all know it.

Stop it.
No, you are not right.

Using a Visa card is a privilege not a right.

Being able to buy bottled water on any street corner is a privilege, not a right.

You are not right. The merchant controls the environment.

You can decide whether or not you chose to support than environment.

I would have told you to hit the bricks.

You are absolutely ridiculous.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
914kid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 59
My Ride: many
This pizza place around me use to sell the only vanilla coke in town for $1.50. Usually I would just go to get the coke and the teenaged girl who would always be working never gave me any problems for using my credit card.

One time I went and the greasy guido owner was present, she rang me up and swiped my card and he started yelling at her and calling her all sorts of things because she is "ruining" his business, I opted to not buy the coke and I left, I didn't like the way he was talking to her and rather have a $1.50 charge on my card rather than the girl get in trouble because of such a small stupid thing. He told me it costs him $3 if someone pays with credit card for an item that is under $2.

I went again maybe a month later this time and I bought two slices of pizza and the coke and paid using credit card as it was $6 ($5 and up credit card is ok), he saw her swipe my card and came out and started cursing at her for being a "dumb slut" who does not know the "store policy" and she should be thankful she has a job and the only reason he hired her was because she has "good looks". Mind you...he was saying this in front of his own little kids, anyway the girl was very upset, my uncle has a pharmacy near by who needed some pharmacy clerks so I offered her a job and she quit the pizza place that day.

I never went again and told all my family friends to never spend $.01 at the place. After the girl quit a few other girls that worked as waitresses quit, slowly it began to crumble, before summer hit it went out of business. I see the guy time to time at the pharmacy and always ask him how his pizza place is going LOL!

---Back on topic---

Any "small" store or gas station that pulls this kind of crap does not get my business. Around here some gas stations charge 15-20 cents extra for gas if you pay using credit, I simply leave and never come back, same with drinks, if I am buying a $1.50 drink and you want me to pay in cash or buy $3 of stuff I will never come back.
__________________
N54 FGT

Last edited by 914kid; 10-03-2012 at 09:29 AM.
914kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
No, you are not right.

Using a Visa card is a privilege not a right.

Being able to buy bottled water on any street corner is a privilege, not a right.

You are not right. The merchant controls the environment.

You can decide whether or not you chose to support than environment.

I would have told you to hit the bricks.

You are absolutely ridiculous.
IMO... if you are using a bank's services for your business, you do not have the right to tell a customer how much to spend.

If you have to eat a transaction fee, that is a business expense you should be willing/expecting to pay. Deceiving the customer and telling them they have to spend a limit of $10.00 is not right.

I understand the ones who lose out are small business owners, but shiit like this is what makes me have no problem going to Costco once a month and getting my shiit in bulk so I don't have to run to the bodega/convenience store to pay unit price + up-charge.

That being said, I always carry around at least $50 for small purchases. I feel like a dork when I use a card to pay for anything less than $10.00.
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Show me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3
My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
$2 was a bad example, as the average fee is $3-$5.

If I just want a water bottle thats $1.99, I don't want to HAVE to buy something else to satisfy a requirement that you are applying which violates your merchant agreement.
BS - then this thread would be about getting raped by the store when they charged you $1.99 for water.
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

You are absolutely ridiculous.
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
No, you are not right.

Using a Visa card is a privilege not a right.
So Play by the rules. Charging a min-purchase amount for debit cards violates that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Being able to buy bottled water on any street corner is a privilege, not a right.
Then don't accept cards. If you want to accept cards - you will play ball. Simple as that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
You are not right. The merchant controls the environment.
And the CC company dictates the rules for payment. If you are to have CC/debit card accepting equipment. Per your merchant agreement, you aren't to refuse a debit card for ANY purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
You can decide whether or not you chose to support than environment.
They will play by the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
I would have told you to hit the bricks.

You are absolutely ridiculous.

You will accept payment in the form of debit per your merchant agreement, or I will come by, every day, and report you until you play ball.


I'm not asking for much, just merchants to play by the rules.



Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
.....

I am buying a $1.50 drink and you want me to pay in cash or buy $3 of stuff I will never come back.
F that I will to make a point. If you want to participate in the CC/Debit taking business, you will play by the rules.

This is not up for debate. It's in Visa's merchant agreement in black & white lol.




Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
IMO... if you are using a bank's services for your business, you do not have the right to tell a customer how much to spend.

If you have to eat a transaction fee, that is a business expense you should be willing/expecting to pay. Deceiving the customer and telling them they have to spend a limit of $10.00 is not right.

I understand the ones who lose out are small business owners, but shiit like this is what makes me have no problem going to Costco once a month and getting my shiit in bulk so I don't have to run to the bodega/convenience store to pay unit price + up-charge.

That being said, I always carry around at least $50 for small purchases. I feel like a dork when I use a card to pay for anything less than $10.00.
I agree, I never have cash on me. I hate change!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
BS - then this thread would be about getting raped by the store when they charged you $1.99 for water.

Nope. This isn't about the price of the water bottle. It's about them not following the rules.

Again, its the internet so I expect you guys to all play devils advocate but the bottom line, no matter how you justify it to yourself, Is clear.

If you are a merchant whom takes Visa. You are to accept debit card purchases without any minimum amount.


Coffee shop in the bottom of my office bldg has some $3 limit, and while its against the rules it doesn't bother me as my morning muffin & Tea = $3.19. If it was $2.19 I'd tell them I worked for Visa and to straighten up as well.










This place just loves to argue. If this was a "got a speeding ticket, halp guys" you would all be on the side of the written law. Not so with merchants lol

Last edited by yousharenow; 10-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use