E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
DC vs Raleigh vs Atlanta

I've been in ATL for 13 months now and love it here.

Things I hate about ATL:

1) Traffic. All the time and its everywhere. It's absolutely insane
2)Their road maint. is retarded as they just put a giant metal plate over the hole rather than fixing it
3)No happy hour
4) Lots of homeless / thugs
5) No NHL team

I love the cost of living, the fact I live in Midtown and can take the train to work, and it being in SEC country. ATL is the blue dot in a red state, and shares the same attitude as Austin. I really like ATL, sans the traffic(which is my mortal sworn enemy)


Every time I was in DC I was amazed with the traffic level, but if you live and work in the district you can live almost car free. It's also really pricey.

Raleigh I just love, LOADS of high paying work in Technology and Healthcare, not much traffic, they have a NHL team, International Airport, and I love the culture there. I was looking at real estate prices in Wake Forest yesterday and how much home you can get for the money reminds me of Texas.

I've always loved Raleigh, I'm just wondering really how you guys thinks it would stack up against DC or ATL. I like some of the inner-city neighborhoods, but they can get really pricey. And Living out in the burbs is a sentence to traffic death.

Last edited by yousharenow; 10-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 703
Posts: 2,880
My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
NHL is done anyways.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Shaban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
I've been in ATL for 13 months now and love it here.

Things I hate about ATL:

1) Traffic. All the time and its everywhere. It's absolutely insane
2)Their road maint. is retarded as they just put a giant metal plate over the hole rather than fixing it
3)No happy hour
4) Lots of homeless / thugs
5) No NHL team

I love the cost of living, the fact I live in Midtown and can take the train to work, and it being in SEC country. ATL is the blue dot in a red state, and shares the same attitude as Austin. I really like ATL, sans the traffic(which is my mortal sworn enemy)


Every time I was in DC I was amazed with the traffic level, but if you live and work in the district you can live almost car free. It's also really pricey.

Raleigh I just love, LOADS of high paying work in Technology and Healthcare, not much traffic, they have a NHL team, International Airport, and I love the culture there. I was looking at real estate prices in Wake Forest yesterday and how much home you can get for the money reminds me of Texas.

I've always loved Raleigh, I'm just wondering really how you guys thinks it would stack up against DC or ATL. I like some of the inner-city neighborhoods, but they can get really pricey. And Living out in the burbs is a sentence to traffic death.
Night/Social life = DC
Work Life = Raleigh

And +1 on NHL being done
__________________
- Alex

Last edited by Shaban; 10-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
NHL is done anyways.
Don't you put that voodoo on me.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
D.C. for sure, but I'm biased.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
I've heard nothing but bad things about DC traffic, ATL its choking the city to death and they can't get anything passed to fix it as all the counties want different things. In ATL you have people commuting all over the place, DC everyone is commuting IN to the city.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
I've heard nothing but bad things about DC traffic, ATL its choking the city to death and they can't get anything passed to fix it as all the counties want different things. In ATL you have people commuting all over the place, DC everyone is commuting IN to the city.
But as he mentioned, this can be avoided by living in the city. I had several friends that lived there without cars.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
But as he mentioned, this can be avoided by living in the city. I had several friends that lived there without cars.
This is true, ATL is just as bad but I never really have to deal with traffic as I take the train, and when I do have to drive, its a reverse commute.

DC has a train system, but are there any parts in the city you would want to raise a family in?

This is one thing that I love about Raleigh is that I don't mind driving as there isn't much traffic, they have a NHL team, and the entire place is a great spot to raise a family.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
This is true, ATL is just as bad but I never really have to deal with traffic as I take the train, and when I do have to drive, its a reverse commute.

DC has a train system, but are there any parts in the city you would want to raise a family in?

This is one thing that I love about Raleigh is that I don't mind driving as there isn't much traffic, they have a NHL team, and the entire place is a great spot to raise a family.
NW, maybe. But you'd probably want to move to the 'burbs
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
NW, maybe. But you'd probably want to move to the 'burbs
And I hear the commute in from the burbs is just horrendous.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Old Rum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tierra Verde, FL
Posts: 183
My Ride: 04mtXI 02mtX5 13F30
I left DC in 2009 but still spend a great deal of time there. Lots of great places to raise a family in NW some with metro access/- AU Park/Spring Valley, The Palisdes, most of Upper Northwest, Cleveland Park, McLean Gardens, Friendship Heights, upper Connecticut Avenue.

Last edited by Old Rum; 10-03-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: metro
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
And I hear the commute in from the burbs is just horrendous.
Well, depending on what part of the city you're going to--my Dad still commutes downtown everyday. Also, many leave their cars at the Metro station and take that into town.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
DC is the shiz
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 703
Posts: 2,880
My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
Don't you put that voodoo on me.
I had to scrap my season tickets. I'm voodooing myself... but doesn't look very hopeful. Just sending prayers at this point.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Will give some insight in a few hours. I've lived in Raleigh for nearly 6 years now.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
I had to scrap my season tickets. I'm voodooing myself... but doesn't look very hopeful. Just sending prayers at this point.

I'm a Stars fan and I moved to a city that is now 0-2 to losing their team to Frackin Canada.

I need the NHL to be back so I can catch games when I go home for Thanksgiving and Xmas and Easter =[


Nearest NHL team is Raleigh or DC



Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Will give some insight in a few hours. I've lived in Raleigh for nearly 6 years now.

Lookin forward to it, something about Raleigh I just love. I like how its the size of a place like Austin so it doesn't have the big city crap like Dallas/ATL/Chicago (traffic/trashy ppl/trash) I love their little downtown core, its very pretty and traffic isn't bad.

Plus I could easily get a job up there making what I am now or more. BUT, DC has no shortage of jobs either, just more pricey and traffic. Besides the cost of living is similar to Dallas/ATL which I'm used to..DC is crazy expensive.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
makecopies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 1600 Penn. Ave
Posts: 1,806
My Ride: Gods Chariot
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
E46_330i_Stud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,888
My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Wake Forest here

To me, it's a good mix of everything. Even in rush hour traffic (7-9am & 4-7pm) I can go 20 miles in 30 minutes or so on capital blvd. People are much nicer here, less crime than ATL & DC. Don't know the statistics but its a very good guess. This areas growing so fast it's unreal.
__________________


1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
blacksport325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 339
My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
I like living I'm Raleigh, the people are nice, traffic isn't awful, and downtown has a decent nightlife. RTP seems to be booming with tech jobs lately.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport325 View Post
I like living I'm Raleigh, the people are nice, traffic isn't awful, and downtown has a decent nightlife. RTP seems to be booming with tech jobs lately.
One of our main vendors (Cisco) has a HQ there that is massive. I've gotten half a dozen offers from them in the past year, and there's a TON of work to be done there for people in tech or healthcare.

I'll finish school here in ATL, then I'll most likely end up in Raleigh for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I've done the "big city" thing living in the city, I want somewhere a little more quiet with less traffic and job security, and a NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud View Post
Wake Forest here

To me, it's a good mix of everything. Even in rush hour traffic (7-9am & 4-7pm) I can go 20 miles in 30 minutes or so on capital blvd. People are much nicer here, less crime than ATL & DC. Don't know the statistics but its a very good guess. This areas growing so fast it's unreal.
I love the people attitudes there, and I like how clean/safe the downtown is. I was looking around Real Estate prices for a nice area like Wake Forest and it reminds me of prices in Dallas. Prices in ATL and DC for a nice area to live in are just straight retarded, and they both have terrible traffic



Raleigh fits that bill!

Last edited by yousharenow; 10-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use