E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
NyC35AV

My Ride: 99' 323i zsp
I did them both together and it took me bout 10 hours spaced out between two days. It's so much easier with everything out the way replaced a couple vacuum lines also. Even tho I had the car raised my back was hurt for a couple days. This would also be the perfect time to clean your throttle body, icv and disa since your there.
NyC35AV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Fan clutch nut I can't help with as I am six speed!

Lower intake boot=patience

Water pump pulley=gentle

Replace all four CVV hoses and you'll not have anything to worry about breaking.

+1 on: the perfect time to clean your throttle body, icv and disa since your there
But not much use to clean DISA. I just replaced it instead.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Trj, I just followed the oil filter housing gasket DIY till the end, then when I was there I started the Oil separator DIY. It seems like a lot is going on and can get overwhelming but if you just follow it step by step and you label the harnesses you disconnect it's not too bad. When you reassemble literally follow the DIY in reverse. And yeah the lower intake boot is a bitch to get off because the hose clamps are in a weird spot but it you just have patience you'll get it. Oh and expect to have a sore lower back as well as cuts on your fingers. The biggest thing is patience.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC35AV View Post
I did them both together and it took me bout 10 hours spaced out between two days. It's so much easier with everything out the way replaced a couple vacuum lines also. Even tho I had the car raised my back was hurt for a couple days. This would also be the perfect time to clean your throttle body, icv and disa since your there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Fan clutch nut I can't help with as I am six speed!

Lower intake boot=patience

Water pump pulley=gentle

Replace all four CVV hoses and you'll not have anything to worry about breaking.

+1 on: the perfect time to clean your throttle body, icv and disa since your there
But not much use to clean DISA. I just replaced it instead.

Yah, I am replacing all 4 hoses.
Water pump pulley I cracked once when I tried to hammer the fan clutch out. Now I have the proper fan clutch tool. So, I guess I should be good on that.

I have a new DISA gasket, throttle body gasket, new DISA bolts, OEM vacuum tubes and even extra clips for the fan shroud ready to go.
I guess I have covered all the bases for the required parts. Well I have to get some electrical parts cleaner and throttle body cleaner for the ICV and TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
Trj, I just followed the oil filter housing gasket DIY till the end, then when I was there I started the Oil separator DIY. It seems like a lot is going on and can get overwhelming but if you just follow it step by step and you label the harnesses you disconnect it's not too bad. When you reassemble literally follow the DIY in reverse. And yeah the lower intake boot is a bitch to get off because the hose clamps are in a weird spot but it you just have patience you'll get it. Oh and expect to have a sore lower back as well as cuts on your fingers. The biggest thing is patience.

Patience is what I lack. I guess I have to give it a try though.

I am going to cut and remove the lower intake boots, and probably cut the stupid clamps and replace the with generic ones. I tried to remove them once and the nuts are all the way back, not even visible.

I guess its going to be a full weekend project next weekend. I'd like to complete it in a day though, dont want to extend it for two days. I dont have a garage and would not want to keep the stuff disassembled overnight.

How long did it take for you?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Took me about 4 hours but I didnt run into too much trouble so it went quick.

I would replace the VANOS oil line and washers while you have the oil filter housing out. And make sure you remember how the hoses are arranged before you take them apart..specifically the VANOS oil line hose and the hose that connects to the front of the valve cover from the oil separator.

Feel free to PM any questions if you get stuck anywhere. I'll do my best to help you out.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
Neasy323

My Ride: 2000 323ci coupe
oil filter housing gasket is a weird job......the part (the gasket) is so cheap, but to install it will take around 4 hours, and the labor is expensive if your not doing it yourself.......it really is somewhat of a royal p.i.t.a. But, it will save you about 6-800 in labor. enjoy.
Neasy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #27
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neasy323 View Post
oil filter housing gasket is a weird job......the part (the gasket) is so cheap, but to install it will take around 4 hours, and the labor is expensive if your not doing it yourself.......it really is somewhat of a royal p.i.t.a. But, it will save you about 6-800 in labor. enjoy.
How does 4 hours of labor for a six dollar part result in more than 4 X $100/hr = $400?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #28
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neasy323 View Post
Oil filter housing is an easy job and will not take four hours. Maybe two and a half for the novice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
slimwest1

My Ride: 330xi
Is 2 1/2 hours really an easy job? I'm only asking because so many people are quoting 4-5 hours. Mine starting leaking so I'm debating on doing it myself.
slimwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
Stinger9

Time is not the only measure of easy or difficult.

Addition: I believe this job can go either way and the space being tight is not the problem. Just like so many other things on the e46, layers of things should be removed before you get to the actual parts to be replaced.
Sometimes the alternator binds in the bracket and is tough to remove. Other times it just comes out and the job is easier.
Do remember to disconnect the battery ground terminal in the trunk before working on the alternator.
Do remember to note the locator of each and every one of the six OFH bolts as they are each unique.
Careful tightening the bolts back as many have stripped the block threads.

Consider using sealant on the new gasket as it goes in.

Last edited by Stinger9; 10-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
slimwest1

My Ride: 330xi
I agree with that. Many of the threads say the job is a "PITA" or it's a really tight spot to work. That makes me think unless I have the small hands of a 15 year old, it's not going to be pretty. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thx.

Last edited by slimwest1; 10-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
slimwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
curca

My Ride: 2002 325i
hi guys am doing OFHG,VCG and oil separater, and I want to check my disa , where can I find disa gasket in case disa valve looks ok
curca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
Stinger9

I'd not look for another gasket because it is a complicated one piece gasket molded to the DISA. I'd just bite the bullet and do a new DISA. (as a matter of fact I just did that myself. Expensive, but........)
That said, there is a gasket on Amazon that some have said they successfully used to seal the DISA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sc_sfl_title_5

Search for DIY's on this replacement to see what others say.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
curca

I know its expensive I got 185,000 miles on and I got feeling it would be broken, thanks for link
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by curca View Post
hi guys am doing OFHG,VCG and oil separater, and I want to check my disa , where can I find disa gasket in case disa valve looks ok
oringsandmore is where I got my DISA gasket.

look for a member jfoj, he has a thread where the correct size of the DISA gasket is mentioned.
I havent tried this job yet, so havent used the DISA gasket. I have 5 gaskets ordered though. I think there was a minimum of 5 to purchase. Spent $5, so it was not an issue.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
Stinger9

That O-ring site rocks!
Although it does give some insight into how cheap Beisan gets their viton O-rings. Means cheap.
However don't get any ideas because you'll not source the inner support ring so easy.
Which size would fit the vanos? http://www.oringsandmore.com/servlet...ngs/Categories

Gotta go to Beisan after all!
And you get all those instructions and great hand-holding support.

Last edited by Stinger9; 10-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #37
curca

I dont get why set of 4 o rings cost more then $50!!!! just does not make any sense. I am aircraft mechanic and we get military grade o rings for less than a buck each! does anybody know oring sizes?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by curca View Post
I dont get why set of 4 o rings cost more then $50!!!! just does not make any sense. I am aircraft mechanic and we get military grade o rings for less than a buck each! does anybody know oring sizes?
Have to get O-ring size, but then teflon support rings too.
Now you have a project!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
JohnIBarr01

My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
I can knock out a CCV and OFHG in ~4-5 hours. If I do the CCV, I always recommend the OFHG at the minimum. Saves the customer a bit on labor and also knocks out a problem area.

However, I also work on these things for a living. So I have gotten pretty good at the routine of it.
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #40
Stinger9

Always admire the knowledge of someone who is as familiar with e46 as you are.

Then again, not sure I'd want to be removing air box and rain tray as many times in a week as you must do.