E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
F1 Bahrain GP - Preview

Bahrain GP - Preview
03/26/2004

Formula One enters uncharted territory next week when the teams descend upon the desert town of Sakhir, south of Bahrain's capital, Manama, for the first Grand Prix to ever be held on Middle Eastern soil.
The inaugural Bahrain Grand Prix will be staged on the site's International Circuit within a 170-hectare development. The 5.417 kilometre track comprises 15 corners and an impressive 1.090 kilometre start and finish straight. Combined with the region's high temperatures, Bahrain's debut Formula One event is expected to be a challenging race for the drivers and the teams as they get to grips with the unknown.

For the BMW WilliamsF1 Team, returning to the Middle East holds particular significance. With the sponsorship opportunities sourced in Saudi Arabia in the 1970s, Frank Williams was able to build the foundations of WilliamsF1 that has since seen the company secure nine Drivers' and seven Constructors' World Championships.

Next weekend's Grand Prix will also mark the end of the first of the long haul races of the season before Formula One returns to the traditional European destinations. The idiosyncrasies typical of Melbourne, the heat and humidity of Malaysia and the unknown quantities of Bahrain may produce a lottery of results not always indicative of the grid's true competitiveness. Returning to Europe will provide a true indication of the field's relative performances.

Juan Pablo Montoya:
Personally, I believe that Formula One going to the Middle East, and to Bahrain in particular, is really important. Racing at a completely new venue is going to be a real challenge for all the teams but also very exciting.

The facilities look amazing and the track itself looks state of the art, with several overtaking opportunities. As it was designed by the same guy who worked on the Sepang circuit, I'm sure it will be great, so I am really looking forward to getting there to see what it's like in reality. After my podium finish in Malaysia, I believe all the team are more confident and keen to improve on that performance in Bahrain.

Ralf Schumacher:
I am convinced that the Bahrain Grand Prix will be a lot of fun, for the drivers and for the public. I'm already excited to see how the place has changed since my short visit in December last year. The race is opening new frontiers for Formula One but going to a new track inevitably throws up various questions, for example will it suit our car and how comfortable will I feel on the new track? The role the dry heat will play and whether sand will be a problem are also going to be issues we will have to face.

Juan Pablo's second place in Malaysia has shown that we are not that far away from Ferrari as we feared, but there's still a long way to go to before we can beat them. Testing at Le Castellet this week has shown that we are working in the right direction so I hope that we will be able to make up more ground in Bahrain.

Sam Michael (Chief Operations Engineer, WilliamsF1):
The inaugural Bahrain Grand Prix will pose plenty of challenges that we have not faced before. In particular, the area is surrounded by fine, coral sand that can cause many operational and on-board mechanical problems. Hopefully there won't be any sand storms, not least because the paint work on the cars will definitely take a battering in these conditions.

From the circuit layout, the track seems to be quite twisty with predominantly slow speed corners but there are three straight sections that may offer overtaking opportunities. Judging by the shape of the first corner, the start of the race could be interesting.

We have made some minor improvements to the car since the Malaysian Grand Prix where we were competitive during the race, although not competitive enough to win. Michelin will bring two known tyre choices as they did for the last race, being a new circuit the compound choice will be interesting.

Strategy may prove different to the trend of three short stint pitstops we've seen in recent races because we have no information on the amount of time we'll lose in the pitlane, tyre degradation or what the fuel penalty will be.

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
With the first two races of the season completed, a picture is now beginning to develop showing the balance of power in this year's World Championship. In Melbourne, Ferrari dominated and we were more than a second a lap slower. In Malaysia, however, we were able to keep up even in extremely high temperatures. As was the case last year, we are already engaged in intensive development of the FW26 with a view to gradually narrowing the gap to Ferrari and ultimately catching them up.

We are anticipating another hot race in Bahrain where temperatures could easily reach 30C, though with much lower humidity. The engine damage to Ralf Schumacher's car in Malaysia had nothing to do with the high temperatures in Malaysia but was due to a faulty component, which we have now identified.

We are anticipating drifting sand, both on and off the track, in Bahrain. This will not only limit the level of grip on the track but, in terms of the engine, the air filter will play a more crucial role as it will have to prevent sand from getting into the engine through the air inlets and causing damage.

On the one hand, we are looking forward to the Grand Prix in Bahrain because it presents an interesting and novel challenge with plenty of unknown quantities. On the other hand, the Middle East is an important marketplace for BMW, having a race in the region gives us the opportunity to demonstrate our technological competence in another of our key regions.

Stats and facts:

- Bahrain is the first of two new venues to join the Formula One calendar in 2004. In September, the World Championship will again enter uncharted territory when the teams travel to Shanghai.

- Bahrain was a British protectorate until 1971, after which it gained its independence and became an Arab Emirate. The head of state is the Emir, who rules through a cabinet. There is no party system and there are no elections. Bahrain has a population of just over 670,000, of which 63% are Bahrainis, 19% Asians, 10% foreign Arabs and 8% Iranians. The official language is Arabic. Islam is the state religion, with some 90% of the population Muslims. 70% of these are Shiites and 30% Sunnis.

- The state covers a total area of 665km across 36 islands off the Saudi Arabian coast. The capital, Manama, is located on the main island of Bahrain.

- Oil has been exploited in Bahrain since 1932 but resources are now dwindling. The processing industry, as well as gas-rich fields and international banking, have assumed primary economic importance.

- Bahrain has a dry, desert climate with very mild winters and hot summers with high humidity levels. Daytime highs reach around 30C.

- This is the second time Formula One will be staged in an Arab country. The first occasion was the Moroccan Grand Prix in 1958 won by Stirling Moss.

- The track was designed by Hermann Tilke and has taken 16 months to build at an estimated cost of US $150m. More than 3,000 people worked on the project at peak times. The circuit required 70,000 cubic metres of concrete and 8,500 tonnes of steel, as well as 82,000 tyres and 5,000 metres of FIA fencing.

- The average lap time for a Formula One car around the track is expected to be approximately 1:33m, with the drivers reaching an average speed of around 210kph.

- The circuit can accommodate 45,000 spectators, with grandstand seating for 10,000. 13,000 parking spaces are available.

- A two-lane access road has been built to link the city to the circuit.

- The complex offers six circuit layouts. The longest is the Grand Prix circuit at 5.417 km (as stipulated by the FIA). The maximum uphill gradient is 3.6%, the maximum downhill gradient 5.6%. The track has15 corners (six left-handers and nine right-handers) while the start/finish straight stretches to 1,090 metres.

- For the required 500 track marshals, Bahrain has enlisted support from Australia, Austria and France.

- The race will comprise 57 laps, a total distance of 308.769 km.

- The Grand Prix starts at 14:30 hrs local time (UTC/GMT+3 hrs) on Sunday 4th April 2004.

- As part of the support programme, Formula BMW Asia will be staging its debut event, the first two of a total of 16 races held in six countries. 16 drivers will line up with the most modern Formula cars of this class, each generating 140 bhp. Among them will be four cars from Minardi Team Asia, the junior team of the Formula One stable.

- In addition to the Formula BMW series, BMW is committed to promoting up-and-coming Asian Formula drivers. In respect of it's commitment to driving safety, a new BMW Performance Centre has been opened at the Bahrain Racing Circuit where courses will be held for the internationally renowned BMW Driver Training programme. The facility also houses another Formula BMW Racing Centre modelled on the school in Valencia, Spain
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
Can't wait! I might even be there!
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
Kain

Less than 4 hours away!

Old 04-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #4
Kain

Williams got owned.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
g-pwrd bimmer

My Ride: 330CI
wdwdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
Williams got owned.
wdwdwd

g-pwrd bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
damn i just got done watching. wtf happened tomontoya????? im dissaointed

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #7
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
Quote:
Williams got owned.
Naw, Williams had a bad day. McLaren got owned.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #8
Kain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheefo2k
damn i just got done watching. wtf happened tomontoya????? im dissaointed
Exactly! Montoya looked like he stopped racing during the end?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
Quote:
Exactly! Montoya looked like he stopped racing during the end?
He had tranny problems. He was losing gears.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
yup thats what i thoguht.
cuz at one paoint
i think when there was 2 laps left, and he was racing with trulli (SP) and they are next to each others, and all of a sudden i see trulli takes off, while montoya just sitting there barely pushing it..

**** maclern

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote