E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
stay away from rackdoctor

Extremely rude and unprofessional on the phone when they messed up my order. Guy was cursing and yelling. Stay AWAY
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Wow. More details plz

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Weird... I called to ask them about their remaning process and didn't get anything like that.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
brodaiga

I ordered a 1999 rack, wanted to get the one with no boost. They send me one from 99-01 which was boosted. When I called saying I wanted the earlier one, guy said I did not specify and that I "was bitching about it." Their site had no place to specify the month. Guy went on to curse and said I could return this one with a big restocking fee, and they don't want my business. When I asked him why he was cursing and providing poor customer service, he dodged the question and said I "rolled the dice" by ordering online and not specifying. Would not even sell me the proper rack. WTF. I am returning the rack to the them and disputing on my card.

Last edited by brodaiga; 10-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Wow! Make this story known. If it went down as you said it did, that is poor service. i'd probably tell him i can handle this by returning the rack to him in person... at his home.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Wow! Make this story known. If it went down as you said it did, that is poor service. i'd probably tell him i can handle this by returning the rack to him in person... at his home.
for sure I will, when I do a search on google for rack doctor, a lot of car forums come up, I will make a post there. Guy was also pissed that my core return is from an 01. It does not specify on the site it had to be from the same year. Either way, guy was such a dick about it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
That sucks, dude.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Sucks. Thanks for sharing vendor info.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
That sucks. Hopefully that guy gets fired
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Hmm weird they were really helpful when I called them. Who did you talk to
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Hmm weird they were really helpful when I called them. Who did you talk to
did not ask for name.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I tried reading your post, then I kept staring at your signature.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga View Post
Extremely rude and unprofessional on the phone when they messed up my order.
Quote:
I ordered a 1999 rack, wanted to get the one with no boost. They send me one from 99-01 which was boosted. When I called saying I wanted the earlier one, guy said I did not specify and that I "was bitching about it." Their site had no place to specify the month. ..said I "rolled the dice" by ordering online and not specifying.
you only called later saying you wanted the earlier one. if you aren't sure of what you might get, you should have called to talk and confirm your order with a person if it was important. i can see how they just go by an order form if done Online. you had an '01 and they sent you a replacement '01. 99% of the time that's probably an exact order fulfillment.
Quote:
my core return is from an 01.
So you ordered online and did not talk to anyone prior to delivery. You did not specify you wanted a precise 1999 no-boosted rack because there was no place to do so ONLINE. Your core rack is an '01 and the rack then sent you was from a 99-01 right?
I'm sorry you didn't get what you hoped for and that he (likely owner) was rude. But if you ordered it Online, how did "they" mess up your order? They sent you a rebuilt 99-01 E46 rack. it's not like they sent you a bad rack or one that doesn't fit your model?? I'm not trying to kick you while down but it seems a mutual blame in the incorrect order needs to be shared. :dunno:
But if your sole complaint is they were rude and unprofessional I would agree.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
you only called later saying you wanted the earlier one. if you aren't sure of what you might get, you should have called to talk and confirm your order with a person if it was important. i can see how they just go by an order form if done Online. you had an '01 and they sent you a replacement '01. 99% of the time that's probably an exact order fulfillment.

So you ordered online and did not talk to anyone prior to delivery. You did not specify you wanted a precise 1999 no-boosted rack because there was no place to do so ONLINE. Your core rack is an '01 and the rack then sent you was from a 99-01 right?
I'm sorry you didn't get what you hoped for and that he (likely owner) was rude. But if you ordered it Online, how did "they" mess up your order? They sent you a rebuilt 99-01 E46 rack. it's not like they sent you a bad rack or one that doesn't fit your model?? I'm not trying to kick you while down but it seems a mutual blame in the incorrect order needs to be shared. :dunno:
But if your sole complaint is they were rude and unprofessional I would agree.
My order was for a 1999 rack, I never specified my car year. that is the main compliant and that they would not rectify the situation.

Thank you for shopping with RACK DOCTOR - Quality Rack and Pinion Remanufacturing at http://shop.rackdoctor.net.

This automated e-mail serves as confirmation that your order has been shipped.

Shipping Summary
----------------

Invoice ID: 0000006394

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty | Item # | Description | Date Shipped | Tracking #
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 25558-328i | 1999 BMW 328i / 328ic / 328is Rack And | 10/01/2012 | The FedEx tracking number is
| Pinion $164.95 |
Check Box To Add Return Shipping Label:
Yes

Last edited by brodaiga; 10-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
The Rack Doctor
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: all BMW
MY name is Rich the Owner of Rack Doctor and an Avid BMW enthusiast. I would like to thank all the members of the forum for the years of business and 1000’s of racks I have sold to fellow forum members. BMW rack and pinions are among my favorite to build because we all at Rack Doctor are enthusiasts. While I have gained a great deal of knowledge from the forums for my own BMW projects at time we have to weed out what information we want to use and what we want to discard. When I am able to find someone with actual knowledge of a product and get them on the phone I am usually thrilled that I can ask a question and get an answer from someone with years of experience. Because I read a few threads on exhaust far from makes me an expert on exhaust. This being said……..

I would like to do a little recap. I did (personally) receive this phone call from the ......“gentleman” and allow me to explain the pace of the conversation. When a customer calls a business with an elevated and arrogant tone and claims “I ordered a rack for a 1999 E46 and you sent me a rack for a 1999-2001 E46 this rack is crap and completely useless to me “ this will normally set the tone for the rest of the conversation.

We shipped what the customer ordered by his own admission the customer went on to say he wanted a rack that was produced between January and April of 1999 We would have been more than happy to accommodate this customers needs as we stock all of the E46 racks. Rack Doctor’s Phone number is clearly marked on the web site. A simple pre sale phone call or even a note in the comments box at check out would have taken care of the customers desires. However because the customer has read a few threads on various forums he went ahead and ordered a rack for a 1999 E46 (that is what he did get) and hoped it would be an early production date unit. This is when he was told he rolled the dice rather than calling and now you are bitching about it as if it is the manufactures fault. The Customer was purchasing the unit to go into his 2001 E46 (NOT A 1999)

The conversation went on and as I made an attempt to help the customer asking if he would help with shipping costs or the cost of the core he was completely unwilling to accept any responsibility.

I have struggled over the years to keep our prices deeply discounted selling this unit for $164.95 with free shipping and a lifetime warranty. While many manufactures just lump all the E46’s together we have broken it down because I don’t think it is fair that someone with a 330 ZHP should have to pay more because there are people who want to upgrade. For this reason we do not swap cores if you want to upgrade your steering give us a call in 80 percent of the cases we will work with you to get you what you want in a deal that is fair to both of us. On some racks we can’t do this because the cores are just not available like on the Z3 upgrade, but a 99 E46 isn’t a problem LOL.

When asked about his core he went on to say that he was sending back his core and we “HAD TO ACCEPT IT” because it doesn’t say cores had to match on the web site. When I asked if he was ok with screwing us out of the core and the shipping he said “YUP” (FYI it does say cores must match in the TOS) this is the cussing he is referring to. I recently purchased an M3 engine for My Z3 I didn’t expect them to take my 2.8L engine as a core (why would I) we recently changed my partners transmission on his 99 E46 from automatic to manual transmission we did not expect them to accept his core why would we. However with a simple phone call I was able to work a deal where they simply purchased these units back at fair market core value.

The customer never mentioned “Over boosting” but claimed the turn ratio was different as I tried to explain the turn ratio is the same.... he went on to tell me how incorrect I was and didn’t know what I was taking about (I have been building rack and pinions since 1986 perhaps I missed the thread he gained his vast steering knowledge from)

This Customer wanted us to send him a rack only produced from January 1999 through April of 1999 (13 years ago) to upgrade his steering with no presale contact. Then expected us to accept any core he wanted to send back and when he did not get the specific rack he wanted. (because we can't read minds) expected us to pay shipping in both directions again all for $164.95 a unit through BMW that runs $1000.00 this is when he was welcomed to send the unit back. If he had been willing to help with shipping costs he would be getting the rack he wanted.

Many years ago I read an article that explained while we own a business we really work for our customers. I couldn’t agree more. However just like a business that has employees that do not perform to the bottom line will be fired there comes a time when you have to fire customers as well. This being said I did indeed tell the customer I did not want his business. I may go on to say the customer mentioned in his posting that “we would not even sell him the correct unit” so apparently it was not a problem with the quality just that he made an error and didn’t want to pay a dime to accept responsibility. At this point he started making threats about the forums and claiming he was going to put a dispute on his credit card by this time I had had enough and said send the unit back we DO NOT want your business. Years ago my father told me “never argue with an idiot because people will wonder who the idiot is” this saying has stuck with me through my life.

I have gone to great lengths to separate the units out by year so when you order a unit for your vehicle you will get what you ordered so the enthusiast with the 2003 330 ZHP rack doesn’t get a rack out for a 2000 323 rack I am more than happy to help people upgrade their steering systems but If I upgrade everyone at the same cost we will not be able to keep our pricing as low. Ironically for about $40.00 I would have upgraded him to a ZHP rack as I have done for so many on these forums already. The $40.00 is the difference in core cost (that’s MY cost)

When we order parts today it is a very Rare thing to get an owner or even someone with product knowledge on the phone, this I know because I order parts daily. When we do finally find a company that answers the phone insulting them is not usually a great way to try and get them to help you. to upgrade your vehicle. After 25 plus years in the steering industry being spoken too in an arrogant condescending way will always end with the same result and I would expect anyone who works with me or for me to handle the situation in the same manor.

As we order parts for our Bimmers and wonder why does this part cost so much there is a simple reason it is due to customers like this that drive the prices up for all of us in the end.

We thank you for the continued support of Rack Doctor Quality Steering units (at deeply discounted prices)

Rich
The Rack Doctor

MY toys
The Rack Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
brodaiga

some conversations between myself and Rich, I wrote:

ood afternoon. The rack I needed was before 04/99. For racks made from 04/99 to late 2001, BMW added "boosted steering." They even had a recall where they were putting in later years. The issue is two fold. First, the site never specified a production month just the year. It is partly my fault for not verifying the order before ordering. When ordering though, I was not aware the the change happened in '99 and thought it was in '00. I say partly my fault because I was not contacted via email or phone before the order shipped. The site also does not have a place to specify production month had I know.

Second, I was upset when I called because I only had this weekend to do the work and it was clear I would not have it in time and now had to find it locally. So when I called, with a demanding tone I admit, you respond with: curse words, saying I am "bitching," an even more hostile tone and saying you will not sell me the proper rack. I even asked on the phone why are you are cursing. This is customer service? When a customer calls upset, instead of deescalating the situation, exploring the problem, you run your business by being rude and threatening?

This is at odds with the reputation you have on various bmw forums. I appreciate the full refund, and when I see it I will cancel the dispute with my card. If I also get an apology for cursing at me on the phone, I will retract posts I made on several bmw forums where I am a long time and respected user concerning this situation.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
brodaiga

he writes:

Yes this situation was not handled as properly as it could have been. Let's be real here. the start of the conversation you claimed "we messed up !!!! the rack we shipped was wrong and was ..... "****" calling me and insulting our product out the gate lit a fuse. on a day when I was not on my game I had come from oral surgery earlier in the morning. none the less calling with an aggressive tone insulting our product when we did nothing wrong would probably not end well either way.

If you feel you need to bash our business that is entirely up to you. in the end the only people you will hurt will be other forum members from getting what they need. A simple pre sale call would have fixed the entire problem pointing fingers is senseless. when there are hundreds of members who have had a great experience with us, and one who did not I think the members will push through it. so I will let you do what you think is right.

In the end this should have been handled differently and there is a comments box on our web site you could have just sent a note through with the order. We as far as the order is concerned did Nothing wrong you ordered a rack for a 1999 and we shipped a rack for a 1999. you never mentioned over boosted you said "turn ratios are different" on the phone ..... they are not ...... on the 1999...... the upgrade you were looking for in my opinion is no real upgrade. that is why I kept asking what were you trying to do.

I was unaware that you even put in a claim with your credit card which really doesn't matter your refund was issued within 20 minutes of hitting our door. (we conduct honest business) I have been rebuilding rack and pinions since 1986 and an avid BMW enthusiast myself (I have 3 including a 1999 E46) I consider myself pretty well versed in the steering and suspension. I am sure I could shout out to the 1000's who have bought racks from us to counter your thread but what would it gain. (I may have a little respect out there too).

In the end I will do what I can to strive for even better customer service that too many is considered already outstanding. If I may offer a small bit of advice for your future purchases from whomever. if you are trying to do an upgrade make a call first it will save time, money and aggravation. there is a difference between reading forums about things and actually hands on building 1000's of units. When I am doing a project on my own BMW's I usually go with experience as well as a little reading to get the best results, and if you should ever have a problem with a vendor product calling with an aggressive tone will never end in the results you are looking for. The guy your mad at may just be the guy who has the real answers and product you wanted.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
brodaiga

bottom line: I am sure you make a good product. I never cursed at you but was upset when I called, you escalated the situation and cursed at me, all the essays in the world cannot change that. Good day.