E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
jantilla

My Ride: SUV
Bmw M3

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3278280075.html

I was hoping to get your guys thoughts on the car above. It's exactly what Im looking for but I think it's over priced due to the rebuilt title. What do you guys think?
jantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
$16K for a 2003 M3 that has a salvage title? RUN away from this one!

Last edited by DSilk56; 10-03-2012 at 12:12 PM.
DSilk56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
jantilla

I wouldn't pay 16k for it. What if the damage wasn't bad?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Definitely over priced. I would never buy a rebuilt title
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
avoid this car....
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
jantilla

My goal was to try and get it around 10k. What would a m3 like the one in the craigslist ad cost me that has a clean title? I wanted one that had some mods done to it aleady.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
SRAM3

My Ride: 02 IMOLA M3
I doubt this guy will go down that low, I assume he is looking to break even, meaning he overpaid, but you should try if $10k is your price range. It's been my experience that a good E46 M3 with NO MODS and around 80K in miles is going to cost you about $18 to $20k or higher if your lucky to find a pissed off divorcing wife. Good Luck
SRAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
jantilla

I just started looking around so Im not in a rush. I do want to find out what happened to the car. If the damage wasn't bad than I may try to get it. The car has been posted a few times. I don't think he will get anywhere near 16k at least not from me.

Last edited by jantilla; 10-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
SRAM3

My Ride: 02 IMOLA M3
I've been in your shoes before, it's definitly a hot looking M3, but it is a re-built and that is the problem. Be patient and keep looking, but be prepared to spend more than $10k if you want a decent one with moderate miles. M3's are expensive to own and maintain. At that level of miles replacing tires, RTABS, FCABS, tensioners, power flex discs, shocks, etc...... are needed and most likely will be your burden after you purchase.
SRAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Wayyyyy to much money.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
jantilla

Well I found out what happened to the car. The car slid off the road on a rainy day. There wasn't any frame damage. I don't think he will work on the price. He says he put 7k in upgrades. We will just have to wait and see if he is able to sell the car at his asking price. He did say he has many interested.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
that car as been for sale for a while. ive seen it posted in mill creek before it was in spokane. his 7k in "upgrades" were probably more like "repairs" after the accident. just to give you some insight, i bought my car 2 1/2 years ago with 60k miles for 17k.. and that is a clean title well maintained example.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
If a car has a salvage title, it means that the insurance company adjuster deemed the damage to exceed the majority of the fair market value of the vehicle. It didn't just "slide off the road". It also hit something, and I sure wouldn't take the seller's word that there was no frame damage. Moreover, off the road here in Miami typically means "into a canal or other body of water", which carries its own problems. As a general rule, a salvage title means that the accident was severe enough to trigger deployment of the airbags, or there was water damage that ruined the on board computers. I wouldn't touch a salvage title car unless it was for parts, or given to me free.
DSilk56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
Don't rush. Took me a year to find the right m3. The rebuilt titles are so tempting. The right car will come along eventually. I personally wouldn't do it. Wait for a clean one !

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Hockeyguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
I don't think you'll get him to $10, maybe to $13-14 which would be alright.

Rebuilt in this case means it was probably uneconomical to repair, which is pretty easy in these cars. The PO of my car had a $10K repair for hitting an animal, nevermind putting it in a ditch. So I wouldn't worry about the rebuilt title as much as people are saying as long as there is good documentation of what was repaired.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
that car as been for sale for a while. ive seen it posted in mill creek before it was in spokane. his 7k in "upgrades" were probably more like "repairs" after the accident. just to give you some insight, i bought my car 2 1/2 years ago with 60k miles for 17k.. and that is a clean title well maintained example.
I was looking this spring in Seattle and couldn't find a decent 2003.5+ for less than $20K. 2.5 years ago the market tanked, everything was cheap.

The hood, suspension, and wheels are easily $5K... so $7K is very believable.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Why are folks so attracted to salvaged cars?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
tsimurph

My Ride: E46 M3
No matter what type of car you are interested in and especially when looking for a BMW you should always try to buy the best (usually the more epensive) example of the particular car you want. You will pay more up front for a better condition car or pay more later fixing a car that isn't so good, but seemed like a good deal initially; you will always pay one way or the other...
It almost always costs more money and definatly more in bullshit in the end to correct/fix that "good deal".
You really don't know what was damaged, since you didn't see the damage and the current owner isnt going to tell you the real story so take some time, save up some more money and find one that hasnt been wrecked. You will be glad you did.
These cars do not suffer fools very well and they can empty your pocket very rapidly.
tsimurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Why are folks so attracted to salvaged cars?
They are cheap.

OP, ignore the drama queens. I got a good deal on my car, easily $5K less than others cause of its accident history (8 claims!). It will take a lot of repairs to outweigh $5K of savings.

This particular car is 5 years since being rebuilt, so any serious issue should have surfaced by now.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
Also keep in mind when reselling it all the people ( like us here as you can see ) will not look twice at buying it. And those who will consider it will be like yourself and try to get it for much cheaper. I've been down that road when I was quite young and its not plesant.
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote