E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Mflara20

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help with vanos rattle

Hey guys I'm going to change my vanos seals because of a rattle, my question it's..... by just replacing the seals would it resolve the famous rattle I hear or do I have to change something else?
Thanks
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
Hey guys I'm going to change my vanos seals because of a rattle, my question it's..... by just replacing the seals would it resolve the famous rattle I hear or do I have to change something else?
Thanks
http://www.drvanos.com/
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
can0n4

My Ride: '04 330xi, '04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
really the only fix is a $400 replacement system?
can0n4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Mflara20

I heard you only have to replace the seals with the beisan ones
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
My 330 was rattling bad so I replaced the seals with the improved ones from Beisan Systems. I was planning on replacing the bearings as well but I couldn't get the old ones out without an impact wrench.

Just replacing the seals eliminated 99% of the rattles. I can't say 100% because every now and then I hear a little rattle.

Only $120 for the seals and bearings seems like a deal.
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post
really the only fix is a $400 replacement system?
This is not the only fix :sigh:

Replacing jut the seals will not fix the rattle issue. Iirc is has something to do with bearings, or spacers.. Something to that effect.

Search the forum to find your answer.

Beisan systems sells the seals and the rattle kit so you can install them.
Seals = $65, rattle kit = $100, = DIY

Dr vanos sells the entire vanos unit with the Beisan seals already installed, rattle kit is also an option.
Dr. Vanos = $400, = Lazy.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Mflara20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post

Replacing jut the seals will not fix the rattle issue. Iirc is has something to do with bearings, or spacers.. Something to that effect.

Dr vanos sells the entire vanos unit with the Beisan seals already installed, rattle kit is also an option.
Where can I buy the rattle kit from?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post

http://www.beisansystems.com/
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Mflara20

My bad I was in a hurry and I was reading it fast. Thanks by the way
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
DRE97

My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith323 View Post
I think the Dr. Vanos sells for $250. You forgot about the $150 core charge rebate.

Last edited by DRE97; 10-21-2012 at 12:07 PM.
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Brobby87

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE97 View Post
I think the Dr. Vanos sells for $250. You for got about the $150 core charge rebate.
This is correct.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Dr Vanos is a better deal, its only $250, and they do more than just the seals

The Stage II builds off of the Stage I kit and adds an additional level of performance upgrades that allows the vanos to work much more efficiently. This is done by improving another area of the factory design, by once again reducing friction.
On all models built after 4/95, a spring plate was used between the thrust washers on the intake cam which holds the cam gear tightly in place. Unfortunately it also creates a decent amount of friction on the intake cam gear.
As the intake cam gear is tightly held between two thrust plates by the spring plate, it is forced back and forth by the vanos as the engine goes through the RPM range, advancing and retarding the cam. As the gear rotates in each direction, it has to continually overcome the frictional forces being applied by the thrust plates. The Stage II kit incorporates REM polishing to reduce the friction between the intake gear and thrust plates, allowing the vanos to work with much less effort.
REM polishing is a proprietary 2 stage chemical and media abrasion process used in many levels of motorsports, which polishes the surfaces to a micro-smooth finish. The parts are then chemically treated with an agent that considerably reduces friction between mating surfaces. The stage II kit will completely eliminate any 'sticking' issues caused by excessive friction between the intake cam gear and thrust plates, greatly extending the life of the unit.

The Stage II vanos kit is designed for a daily driver while be able to withstand the abuse and stresses of a modified engine. Race cars, track cars, forced induction cars, or any other car that sees more abuse than a typical daily driver sees can benefit from Stage II kit. This is truly the ultimate vanos upgrade.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote