E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
E46Cherry

My Ride: 2003 M3
Carbon Fiber Trim

I was wondering where people are getting their carbon fiber trims for cheap on M3's? Also if the wraps or overlays for the trims are worth it? Lastly, M3 CF diffuser.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
3m vinyl

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
E46Cherry

any other suggestions? what about the rear bumper diffuser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
3m vinyl
how big to cover the whole interior trim? 5 x 5?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Cherry View Post
any other suggestions? what about the rear bumper diffuser?

how big to cover the whole interior trim? 5 x 5?
When I wrapped mine with aluminum vinyl I used about 10 square feet and had extra. Better to get more than not enough!
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
E46Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post
When I wrapped mine with aluminum vinyl I used about 10 square feet and had extra. Better to get more than not enough!
That's for sure. Estimate on how much you had extra?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
That's for sure. Estimate on how much you had extra?
I didn't have enough extra to rewrap the door trim.... but probably enough for either rear panel trim pieces, shifter trim, or some of the dash. I redid one of my dash pieces and still had some left over. Basically if you mess up any of the pieces besides the door trim, you'll have enough to redo it.

I did just order some more vinyl from metrorestyling because my passenger door trim got scratched bad when I was fixing my door lock. It was less than 40 bucks shipped to my house. (ordered another 10ft.)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
E46Cherry

Quote:
I didn't have enough extra to rewrap the door trim.... but probably enough for either rear panel trim pieces, shifter trim, or some of the dash. I redid one of my dash pieces and still had some left over. Basically if you mess up any of the pieces besides the door trim, you'll have enough to redo it.

I did just order some more vinyl from metrorestyling because my passenger door trim got scratched bad when I was fixing my door lock. It was less than 40 bucks shipped to my house. (ordered another 10ft.)
So I'm assuming your ordering 5 x 2 from ECS Tuning? Here is what I'm looking at.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
So I'm assuming your ordering 5 x 2 from ECS Tuning? Here is what I'm looking at.
No I got it from metrorestyling! I think its a bit cheaper. Was for me. You can select many different sizes as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
E46Cherry

Quote:
No I got it from metrorestyling! I think its a bit cheaper. Was for me. You can select many different sizes as well.
Thanks for all the input! That leaves me with the diffuser.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Thanks for all the input! That leaves me with the diffuser.
No prob! For the diffuser, you can spend about 200 and get a diffuser from Khoalty or Modbargains. Or I know EAS sells Vorsteiner diffusers for about 700. It all comes down to how much your willing to pay. But remember... you get what you paid for. So do research before you buy one!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
Quote:
+1 on metrostyling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
E46Cherry

You've been a great deal of help Matt! But does anyone know the difference between DiNoc and 1080 CF?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
You've been a great deal of help Matt! But does anyone know the difference between DiNoc and 1080 CF?
I used 1080 for my aluminum. Not sure on the exact differences... 1080 might be a little bit thinner, but I believe DiNoc has a more realistic feel to it. Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong. 1080 is 3M's "new" product. I've been very happy with 1080 aluminum. But for the CF vinyl, im not sure which is better.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
E46Cherry

Quote:
I used 1080 for my aluminum. Not sure on the exact differences... 1080 might be a little bit thinner, but I believe DiNoc has a more realistic feel to it. Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong. 1080 is 3M's "new" product. I've been very happy with 1080 aluminum. But for the CF vinyl, im not sure which is better.
Once again thanks for the info. Always great to be able to come back to E46F for questions and concerns!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Once again thanks for the info. Always great to be able to come back to E46F for questions and concerns!
Glad I could help! Keep us posted with your progress
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
I was wondering where people are getting their carbon fiber trims for cheap on M3's? Also if the wraps or overlays for the trims are worth it? Lastly, M3 CF diffuser.
The only way you are going to get carbon fiber trim on the cheap is to get the carbon fiber look (through vinyl wraps). I looked into this and if done right can provide a nice look

I opted to spend the cash and got AutoCarbon carbon fiber trim pieces instead for my ///M3. Something about real carbon fiber that looks different from any wrap...

It was money well spent as far as I'm concerned... anyway... if you choose to wrap just take your time and watch how you lay the wrap so you have a nice pattern on your trim. GL!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 10-04-2012 at 04:39 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
If memory serves me right, there was a member on here no too long ago who wrapped his trim in real carbon fiber. He did an amazing job too. If you have the skills (with some practice) you can go that route and save some dough on the real deal.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
E46Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
The only way you are going to get carbon fiber trim on the cheap is to get the carbon fiber look (through vinyl wraps). I looked into this and if done right can provide a nice look

I opted to spend the cash and got AutoCarbon carbon fiber trim pieces instead for my ///M3. Something about real carbon fiber that looks different from any wrap...

It was money well spent as far as I'm concerned... anyway... if you choose to wrap just take your time and watch how you lay the wrap so you have a nice pattern on your trim. GL!
Correct me of I'm wrong but aren't the AutoCarbon trim kits just overlays that go over your original trim?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
That is correct. It was the perfect solution to my issues since my brushed aluminum trim was scratched/nicked up. This provided a much cleaner solution to what I was seeking.
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
E46Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
That is correct. It was the perfect solution to my issues since my brushed aluminum trim was scratched/nicked up. This provided a much cleaner solution to what I was seeking.
Yeah I have brushed aluminum as well and the only things that were nicked up on mine are the armrest due to the seat belts banging on to them. I figured might as well get the CF that I was going to eventually do anyway. But one thing I was always curious about overlay trims was if they fit correctly with the oem trim? And doesnt the extra thickness stick out on say around the radio and such?

Tags
carbon fiber, diffuser, dmax furry chest, m3, trim