E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
[Cooling System Upgrade] 1-BAR Radiator Cap

this thread will document my experience in the trial of a 1-bar radiator cap for the cooling system on my e46. i will document coolant temperatures, any noticable benefits, any noticable differences, etc.

the cooling system is presurized to 2-bar from the factory from BMW. a 1-bar cooling system will theoretically provide more reliable cooling system performance.

i will update this thread periodically. for those of you that have any questions, you can PM me or post in the thread. i work a lot and travel frequently for business, but i will update this thread as often as i can.

thank you,

bryce
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Sub'd

Last edited by Solidjake; 10-03-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
This will be most informative.

Sub,d
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Which cap did you buy? How'd you know it would fit our tank?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I thought our system ran at 1.5 bar but that the cap relieves pressure, if needed, when it builds above 2 bar...the limit of the cap.

It's a sealed system with a thermal expansion tank to buffer changes in pressure but the pressure increases when the car is running. I didn't take physics, but I'm confused a bit since I thought the system, at rest, would be at one atm. My initial thought in reading your post is that the car would relieve pressure when it's running.

How does a cap reduce the pressure at which the system runs without letting either air or coolant out?

Not arguing...just curious.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
bryce-o

from my limited understanding of how the e46 cooling system works, it's TWICE as pressurized as other mfg's cooling systems. it may be why the cooling systems fail and fail so "hard."

if you lower the internal pressure to 1 BAR instead of the 2 BAR OEM level, there won't be as much cooling system "headaches" or expansion tank explosions.

this is not intended to suppliment proper cooling system maintenance. SEE MANGO'S THREAD

this thread is simply an experiement by me and an un-named supplier. i will divulge the supplier when he gives me the go-ahead. at that point, this cap will be available to consumers.

my testing will include live monitoring of coolant temperatures, inspection of cooling system components, removal of cooling system components after sustained mileage, etc.

i hope this will benefit the e46 community as much as i believe it will. this could be a potential huge breakthrough in all the headaches associated with the e36 and e46 cooling systems. stay tuned for more details
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Reducing the pressure of the cooling system will reduce the boiling point of the coolant which in turn reduces the efficiency of the system.

Anyways, curious to see how this effects your operating temps under various conditions.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 10-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Wouldn't this alter the boiling point of the coolant.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

So basically when the system is fully hot up to temp, when we loosen our caps that is why a lot of steam/hot air comes out. Wouldn't using this cap to lower the pressure force the water pump to work harder to move coolant around as it's not pressurized as it should be?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
bryce-o

i'll have more answers once i have data and other feedback from the vendor
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Alrighty.

just for further discussion for the guys on the forum

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...essure-ratings
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
So basically when the system is fully hot up to temp, when we loosen our caps that is why a lot of steam/hot air comes out. Wouldn't using this cap to lower the pressure force the water pump to work harder to move coolant around as it's not pressurized as it should be?
The water pump can only work at one speed since it is belt driven, unlike modern electrical pumps. It cannot compensate for the reduced cooling efficiency due to the reduced pressure.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 10-03-2012 at 09:43 PM.
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
No, the coolant system pressure has no bearing on how hard the water pump has to work when the system is sealed. The reason coolant spews out when you remove the radiator cap from a hot engine is because there is now a pressure differential between the pressurized fluid and the surrounding air pressure.

Cars use a pressurized system to raise the boiling point of the coolant. This in turn allows the car to run hotter (at a temperature regulated by the thermostat) for improved emissions, etc. Depending on how much margin is designed into the stock cap, one very likely outcome of this experiment is a coolant leak from the cap due to the thermostat allowing coolant temps to create more system pressure than the 1-bar cap will allow.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Alrighty.

just for further discussion for the guys on the forum

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...essure-ratings
Yup, that's what I thought. Lowering the pressure lowers the boiling point (as imolasix pointed out before me).

I'm not an engineer, but I can't see BMW making the pressure higher without good reason.

It's a neat idea and I'm in for results, but regardless of how it turns out it's not something I personally would do.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
If anyone can tell me the volume of the air in the expansion tank for the minimum and maximum fill levels (when cold), I can calculate the pressure range at which our cooling system operates. Very simple physics.

My guts are telling me 1 bar might be too low.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
If anyone can tell me the volume of the air in the expansion tank for the minimum and maximum fill levels (when cold), I can calculate the pressure range at which our cooling system operates. Very simple physics.

My guts are telling me 1 bar might be too low.
that may be true; i think the vendor is also exploring a 1.5 BAR cap to find a happy medium.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
bryce-o

i'll test the 1 BAR cap for now, and possibly try out the 1.5 BAR cap in the coming months.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
A 1 bar cap will lower the boiling point of the coolant by about 43 F if i'm doing the math right. That's a big jump. You may throw things out of the range of expected inputs from the ECT sensor and other elements and cause issues.

I'm in for results. But 1 bar seems much too drastic.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Has this supplier made caps for other cars aswell? If so do you know how those outcomes looked?
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
This cap may work for casual driving, but what happens when you drive hard with it? You may get boiling coolant, which is totally ineffective at removing heat.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote