E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Question I'm on pins and needles and wondering what my chances are...

So I've finished up interviewing at this company for a corporate controller job (what I do now) yesterday afternoon. I have met everyone that I would ever work with, including the CEO and CFO. Today I got a call from the lead HR recruiter at the company and he tells me that he's gotten great feedback and that they'd like to move forward with the next step of doing a background check and calling on my references (he was the same one who said that they would have a decision by early next week when I left the interview on Tuesday).

I want to be optimistic but a part of me still thinks its 50-50 because I interviewed at company years ago what did a background and reference checks on the top 2 candidates and I didn't get that job. That being said, at the company that I work at I can not make an offer until I have a clear background check and reference check. One of my friend's companies makes offers that are contingent on a clear background and reference check.

So I guess my question is...if a company is doing a background check (I signed an authorization and send it back to them) and calling on my references....what is the likelihood that I get an offer assuming everything checks out??? I really want this job so I'm literally on pin and needles.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
dont worry, you will get it

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
your the b00bMan....everything will work out.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
AMA Request : Corporate HR Representative

Under which circumstances could a potential hire fail the background check with a good history?
Do you have access to and or consider high school and college GPA's (if not provided already), credit history, police records before and later than seven years?
What are some common questions asked to provided-references or past-employers?
What's the reason behind waiting a (4-14) days between each step of the hiring process, when it all could be completed in a day or two?

Last edited by Cowspoo; 10-04-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Cowspoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
I didn't realize background checks and references were still used at that level.

I wouldn't worry about it. The background check shouldn't even be a thought. What kind of references did you provide?

Last edited by JTLaz; 10-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Will you report to the CFO or some other individual?
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
USCTrojanMan29

Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
Will you report to the CFO or some other individual?
I'll be reporting directly to the CFO.

Two out of the three references are my former supervisors/managers and then a professional acquaintance.

I'm not nervous about the background or reference checks because they'll all come out just fine. I guess I'm just curious if most companies do not background and reference checks until they've picked the candidate.

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 10-04-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
USCTrojanMan29

Here's an exert from the email that the HR recruiter sent to one of my references:

I recently had the privilege of interviewing X for a position with our organization and I’m continuing to bring him through the interview process.

The next step on our end is to complete X's professional references. X indicated you would be available for me to reach in order to discuss the work history you have in common with him.

Please let me know when you are available to speak over the phone. It would be great to catch up with you as soon as possible.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
just show the HR dept some boobs, and you're good to go.

seriously though, there's no guarantee until they actually say "you're hired!" checking on references will only help eliminate some candidates, just in case some people b.s. on their resumé. never the less, good luck!

Last edited by Cobra; 10-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I'll be reporting directly to the CFO.

Two out of the three references are my former supervisors/managers and then a professional acquaintance.

I'm not nervous about the background or reference checks because they'll all come out just fine. I guess I'm just curious if most companies do not background and reference checks until they've picked the candidate.
Ok well its a little weird they are doing background without first offering you the job. In my experience the company will make you an offer and then complete the backgroud/drug screening. Why would they spend money on the process if they are not going to offer you the job.

The other wierd thing is you not interviewing with the CFO.

I dont know, these are thoughts that pop into my head and how I would look at it.

Good luck though!
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
...the next step of doing a background check and calling on my references...
Did you put down F2B?

Last edited by chivo328; 10-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post
I didn't realize background checks and references were still used at that level.

I wouldn't worry about it. The background check shouldn't even be a thought. What kind of references did you provide?
yep, they would rely on what comes back even more so at this level. The higher the income the more they'll look into your background. The law actually allows the employer more leeway on what they can use in their decision to not hire you when the proposed salary is above a certain level. I think its 80 or 90k.

Martin I know how you feel. I recently moved over from residential to commercial lending as a VP portfolio analyst and was on pins and needles every step of the process which was not a short one. All signs point to you getting the job though if everything checks out. Most wouldn't go through all that trouble unless they had the intention of moving forward. As far as the offer, all companies work differently. I got the offer letter overnighted to me the same day they started the background checking process. My wife that just moved on to a better opportunity as well got her letter after the process.

Last edited by Topaz330; 10-04-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Topaz330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I really want this job so I'm literally on pin and needles.
You are not literally on pins and needles.

At least I hope you aren't. Ouch.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Did you put down F2B?
I'm sorry to inform you that we have denied your application due to your previous association with a stupid ass wigger and a slutty Asian ho.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I loled
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Distribution of weight can be painless. Elementary, dear Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Distribution of weight can be painless. Elementary, dear Dave
This is Martin:

VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
USCTrojanMan29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
Ok well its a little weird they are doing background without first offering you the job. In my experience the company will make you an offer and then complete the backgroud/drug screening. Why would they spend money on the process if they are not going to offer you the job.

The other wierd thing is you not interviewing with the CFO.

I dont know, these are thoughts that pop into my head and how I would look at it.

Good luck though!
I did interview with the CFO (in round 2 and then spoke with him again for 5-10 minutes before I met the CEO in round 3)...the CEO as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
you got the job
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
I am a co-founder/managing director of a boutique retained executive search firm. We focus specifically on VC/PE backed mid-market tech companies & deal with CEO, CFO, CMO, CTO & Head of Sales searches specifically.

I cannot speak directly for every search firm or company's process, however we do references & background checks on only our lead candidate at the very end of the process; and they are always contingent upon a forthcoming offer letter. As an employed executive you don't want to be handing out your reference list at will.

Good luck getting the job!

Last edited by xxcosmicxx; 10-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
xxcosmicxx is offline   Reply With Quote