E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
BrRich330

My Ride: 03 330Ci
How to fix a mushroomed strut tower?

I recently purchased a front strut brace for my 03 330Ci and when i went to put it in i found that my passengers side strut tower was all mushroomed up idk when it happened but it pressed it up so far that the little camber adjustment pin dropped down out of its hole. Since i noticed that i have noticed that my car has been pulling to the right at lower speeds with alot of wheel shake (not so much at highway speed). So my question is if there is anyway of fixing it other then just trying my best with some body shop hammers?

Thanks in advance

BIMMER FOR LIFE!!
BrRich330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
There are some DIY posts here, placing a block of wood on the strut tower and with a hammer, to shape it back in place. If there's no cracking, I would also install the OEM strut tower reinforcement plates ($7/piece) and the strut bar on the top. After that, I would take the car for an alignment
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
^ this. Some people also succeeded by installing the reinforcement plate and over torquing it.
If the negative camber isn't right I would also check if the strut isn't bent.

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. I am writing on a cell phone.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
BrRich330

My Ride: 03 330Ci
There is no cracking and the paint isnt even chipped and i had purchased the reinforcement plates from ECS and the only ones they had were the completly round ones and with my car being a coupe the round reinforcement plates dont fit I need ones that have a flat part on one side of the plates. and how do i get the adjustment pin back in the hole on the top of the tower?

BIMMER FOR LIFE!!
BrRich330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I would suggest the block of wood and a hammer method. Using the over torqued bolts and a reinforcement plate won't get the shape as close as a hammer, not to mention you will probably also bend the plate.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Getting it professionally fixed costs a bundle, but yours doesnt sound so bad, you may get away with the sort of fixes mentioned above.

That said it doesn't effect the car any unless its so bad it cant be aligned. I would guess most people have some level of mushrooming and don't know it because it is still possible to align it correctly.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
you don't need those nipples at all... its only there for factory purposes.. most of the time they are chipped of for alignments.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Do u have any pix of the mushroom towers?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Pretty much every E46 i've seen has some level of mushrooming. i'm surprised my towers are perfectly flat. Reinforcement plates were one of the first things i did when i bought the car

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrRich330 View Post
There is no cracking and the paint isnt even chipped and i had purchased the reinforcement plates from ECS and the only ones they had were the completly round ones and with my car being a coupe the round reinforcement plates dont fit I need ones that have a flat part on one side of the plates. and how do i get the adjustment pin back in the hole on the top of the tower?
The reinforcement plates go underneath the tower top. Sandwiched between the strut and body. The E46 have only one type of plate. The other one is an e36 and that has a visible raised center lip.
As said you can often get the metal of the tower top back flat with a piece of wood and tapping on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Do u have any pix of the mushroom towers?
she wants to see your "mushroom tower"
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote