E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
AEM Infinity and ProEFI

Around various forums these engine management systems are often mentioned for the S54. But i cannot find any information that compares the two.

Whats the main differences? Features, hardware, etc....
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
AEM Infinity is not offered P&P for the S54 right now. HPF will most likely be the first to have it, however, unsure if they will offer it as a P&P setup (ECU and harness) or if it will only be available from them with one of their turbo setups.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
I hope HPF will get rid of the stock ecu and make the AEM infinity available to Z4M owners and cars with S54 swap.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I think a lot of people want to know how the two compare. That "shoot out" comparison may take a while.
I think there is a lot work yet to develop the new AEM to work specifically with FI S54 Motors.

I have not heard much from HPF about this. I think maybe its time they posted SOMETHING about what is or is not going on.

A respected BMW speed shop owner recently told me something kind of interesting. He said that AEM had a tendency to leave Beta testing up to the consumers AFTER their units are released.
I have no idea. Does anyone else think the same thing?

It may be a good year before we see a fully developed plug and play unit for our BMW's. Until then, I dont know how difficult it is going to be to hook these up and get them working to their full potential...what ever that is.

What is on paper and how it works in real applications are often two different things. We need to see some of these AEM Infinities up and working, doing their stuff! I dont know of a single BMW S54 with the new AEM....yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
E85head

Thanks Bdave!

I hoping less then a year, as there are other shops working with the AEM Infinity for the S54 as well.

It looks like the issues with the ProEFI is sorted out..

On paper or not, does one of the two offer something the other does not?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
AEM Infinity is not offered P&P for the S54 right now. HPF will most likely be the first to have it, however, unsure if they will offer it as a P&P setup (ECU and harness) or if it will only be available from them with one of their turbo setups.
I imagine they will build the harness and sell it as a P&P set up. You can purchase the AEM they currently use buy itself, so I assume the Infinity will become available also.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
E85head

Is connecting a ProEFI unit with the pnp harnes straight forward? And if I where to opt for this solution: is there any way of tuning it remotely?

I really like the setup yellowssm has! And think something like this is the way to go for me if the s54 can safely make 650whp stock.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
Is connecting a ProEFI unit with the pnp harnes straight forward? And if I where to opt for this solution: is there any way of tuning it remotely?

I really like the setup yellowssm has! And think something like this is the way to go for me if the s54 can safely make 650whp stock.
It would probably be best if a professional tuned it at a shop with a dyno IMO. Also yellowssm has a sexy ass car.

Borgwarner S467/Custom Twinscroll Tubular Manifold/Lab22-Radium E85 Fuel System/Brembo
792whp @ 555wtq 15psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
E85head

Very sexy indeed!

We have a few s54's over here making 1000whp, but they are tuned with things like vipec or autronic.

This is what I am recommended over here, but I think the ProEFI or the AEM is the thing that suits my project best with all the neat features.

What pussles me a bit is that no one can tell what separates the two (theoretically)(ProEFI and AEM)..
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Quote:

The ONE thing I can comment and stand by is......Yes, a Healthy Stock S54 Can safely handle 650whp......
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
E85head

Thanks! Thats one question less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post
The ONE thing I can comment and stand by is......Yes, a Healthy Stock S54 Can safely handle 650whp......
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
Quote:
What pussles me a bit is that no one can tell what separates the two (theoretically)(ProEFI and AEM)..
http://proefi.com/info/product-list/ecus/

vs

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...nt-system-90/#

not sure how much more spoon fed you need to be.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
It is blatantly obvious that AEM tried to emulate all of the options that ProEFI has with their new Infinity. In theory it looks to be able to do almost as much as the ProEFI. The big question is how well will it do this?? Infinity has now been available for the supra guys for over 6 months and there has not been one review with it working yet. The key to ProEFI's success is that all of the fueling strategies were written by the OEM manufacturers. You simply cannot get better than that. Then Jason collaborated with all of the top drag racers/road racers in the community and wrote all of the traction control, launch control, boost control and nitrous control in conjunction with all of their input. And of course the fact that there has been a ZERO percent failure rate of the ProEFI ECU is icing on the cake!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
ProEFI Master Features List

12 Injector Drivers
All with built in Injector drivers!! This is perfect for any application up to a V12 or even for a twin injector setup on any application up to 6 cylinders.

16 Coil Drivers
Yes 16!!! No more waste spark like offered in many inferior competitor products.

32 Analog inputs!!!
There are 32 analog inputs which will be preconfigured for anything you want to do... I.E. plug in a fuel pressure sensor and it automatically activates the trims associated with it. Put a Nitrous pressure sensor on your car and the computer trims fuel accordingly to bottle pressure!! You can datalog everything imaginable!!

10 Low side driver outputs
You can configure these to do whatever you can imagine. Also these will all support 4+ amps each!! We use these to control multiple fuel pumps or even to control our Quick Spool Valve operation. There are lots of options here.

Built in wideband!!
That says it all!! The ProEFI utilizes a highly accurate NTK sensor for maximizing tuning capabilities that is highly resilient to E85 and race gas fouling.

True Volumetric Efficiency
Unlike a number of other engine management systems offered, the ProEFI uses a real VE Table . This is done so that things like injector and pressure changes don't have to be calculated and multiple maps changed, it's all done in the background by simply entering your injector size and base fuel pressure. No more look-up tables!!! Actually knowing the injector size and fuel pressure, this allows us to make instantaneous feedback changes to things like fuel pressure not staying constant, without relying on the O2 sensor for delayed information. Changing fuel type is as simple as entering the stoichiometric ratio for the fuel used.

Fault Coding
Fully functional check engine lights (CELs) will tell you fault codes to help diagnose problems. Actions can be assigned with the fault codes. I.E. low oil pressure triggers a fault code, and activates a low rpm limiter. O2 sensor faults will automatically turn off block learning and closed loop feedback. Also the fault codes will be the same as the original ECU!!!

Fuel Pressure Compensation
With the simple addition of a fuel pressure sensor, the computer will monitor and compensate for various fuel pressures. This is easily one of the most functional and useful safety features built into the ProEFI system. In the event of any lean condition whether it be a failing fuel pump, clogged fuel injector, or any other similar fuel pressure related problem, the ProEFI will recognize the problem and widen injector pulse width in order to put you're A/F Ratios in the safe zone again. If a safe level cannot be reached, the ProEFI will invoke a rev limiter to tell you that a problem is present as well as activate a check engine light. We have personally seen a handful of motors saved based solely on this feature. Rest assured that your engine is in the capable hands of the ProEFI.

Let's say that you have a pump that is tired and your fuel pressure is not rising 1-1 anymore. The computer will know and add necessary fuel. Also if the pressure really gets unstable causing the computer to add too much pulse width, it will trigger a check engine light. It can also be set to initiate a rev limiter. These safe guards can be triggered by the fuel pressure alone, by O2 activity or a number of other things!!

Multiple Failsafe Conditions
These built-in features make it nearly impossible to damage your engine in the case of tuning errors or mechanical malfunctions. I.E. lean, and knock conditions can be used to turn off nitrous, shut down boost etc....

Flex Fuel E85 Compatibility
The ProEFI is the first standalone EMS to successfully adapt Flex Fuel capabilities in order to function like an OEM vehicle. Run pump gas, E85, or any mixture in between!! The ProEFI will always know exactly what percentage of ethanol is present in the gas tank and will make every adjustment accordingly to fuel maps, timing maps, and even cold start ignition!! We have started E85 powered cars in -2 degrees!!! Not only are these aspects controlled, but boost is as well. The ProEFI will only allow for the safest boost level based on ethanol content.

iBoost Control Integration
This is the best boost control system that we have ever used, hands down. Not only that, it's simpler than a manual boost controller!! There is absolutely no reason to even consider running an external boost controller, especially considering how inexpensive the solenoid and control knob is.

The iBoost system has the ability to utilize dual solenoids to control pressure to both the top and bottom ports on any wastegate. This will give you VERY accurate control!! With the addition of a CO2 canister, this means that you could have very minute control over the boost level and run as low of a pressure spring as possible. In addition, the ProEFI's Traction Control can lower boost levels substantially lower than if you were running a standard wastegate spring (such as 14-17psi). Imagine being able to bring boost levels down to 2psi with a light spring with the Traction Control. Will control boost based on traction control. Traction control is based on wheel speed differential described below. The ProEFI will also know what gear you are in by simply entering gear ratios from the service manual, rear end ratio and tire size!! It can also control boost by speed control boost by time. Therefore if you spin the tires and the vehicle speed sensor puts the boost map into a zone for higher boost.... the computer will know that it is wrong and hold the boost down until a certain amount of time.

Scramble Boost
ProEFI has implemented a Scramble Boost feature to work in conjunction with its iBoost control system. For those not familiar, Scramble Boost is a feature that allows the user to temporarily increase their boost pressure setpoint for a pre-determined amount of time.

As we know, with the ProEFI iBoost system, there are 5 pre-determined boost settings from wastegate pressure to the highest desired boost level (based on ethanol content where applicable). When used in conjunction with the ProEFI Flex Fuel sensor, this highest boost level is limited by the ethanol content seen in the fuel tank. By adding a momentary switch, the ProEFI Scramble Boost feature will allow a boost increase (of whatever the desired level is) above your current boost setting for a predetermined length of time (be it 2 seconds to 20 seconds). For example, if you're on iBoost Stage 1 (which is wastegate pressure) and your spring is 14psi, you will now have a higher boost level such as 19psi (if scramble boost is set to +5psi) for a pre-determined amount of time (in seconds) before returning to the regular boost level. This feature is highly sought after among drag racers and road racers alike when that extra power is needed and there isn't enough time to change boost settings. This feature is also protected by the ethanol-content feedback meaning if you don't have enough ethanol percent present; the ProEFI will only allow you the safest amount of boost to maximize performance yet not exceed the limitations of pump gas (or your pump gas and ethanol mixture).

Lean condition safety features
In the case of a lean condition under certain circumstances (IE load, time etc.) the computer can be programmed to shut down nitrous, lower boost, initiate fuel cut, initiate a rev limiter for a programmed duration of time until safe conditions return. This can also then be programmed to throw a code and activate the check engine light.

Traction Control
Multiple comprehensive traction control strategies including defined wheel speed differential between driven and non-driven wheels. This is not your average traction control for the rain/snow!! This is a race-developed traction control system designed to keep your car going straight regardless of the conditions. There are a number of ways to control traction with the ProEFI, none of which will EVER pull fuel in an attempt to manage wheel speed. Reducing timing, dropping boost levels, and even a rev limiter can be used (in the extreme conditions) in order to maintain a consistent wheel speed differential. Road racing, drag racing, and especially street driving have all been proven to benefit from this system.

Advanced Knock Sensing Control Capabilities
Specific knock frequency detection based upon the specific engine being monitored makes for incredibly advanced engine protection!!

There are several ways to approach Knock control. Some manufacturers use more of a noise control than a knock control system. These systems use the knock sensor with a non-specific band pass filter to filter out some back ground frequencies. Then a user defined table is used to limit the amount of "noise" before it is considered to be knock. Once this threshold is reached action is taken by pulling timing and adding fuel in attempt to limit the noise. There are several problems with these types of systems. As the engine is producing more power, it also produces more noise, so if the noise isn't really knock, then power is greatly reduced for no reason. Using a broad band pass filter, you can't determine the frequency that knock actually occurs in the engine being monitored. Also by looking at the "noise" level, you don't know which cylinder is actually responsible for knock. It then gets even more complicated because you can't determine the window in which knock will occur in each cylinder. The systems that are monitoring noise rather than knock also lack the processing speed to properly determine what knock really is.

Nitrous control
Utilize up to 4 stages of nitrous control!! Nitrous can be controlled by speed, time, gear, and more! Just enter the number of jets, jet size and the ProEFI's Target A/F features do the rest!! It is recommended to add a nitrous bottle pressure sensor and the ProEFI adjusts accordingly to pressure!!

Unlike other ECU's, you can target different A/F's for Nitrous with this unit in closed loop, or open loop, since the computer is based solely on V.E. it doesn't rely on the O2 sensor for hitting the desired A/F Ratio. It does this based upon volumetric efficiency and desired equivalency ratio. Therefore there is less work for the O2 to do in closed loop, eliminating the chance for lean spikes typical of running nitrous!!!!

Nitrous Automatic Bottle Opener
With the engine running and the Nitrous system is armed, the ProEFI will automatically open your bottle!! This prevents accidentally leaving the bottle open and wasting nitrous as well as automatically closing the bottle in case of a system failure such as the motor stalling.

OEM Manufactured Quality
The ECU's are built by an O.E. manufacturer, so all ECUs are 100% tested for vibration, temperature, loading etc...BEFORE you install them into your vehicle. Pro EFI ECUs are as reliable as the factory units you take out. No more being stranded on the side of the road, or waiting weeks or months to get and issue repaired with the confidence of rolling the dice.

20 Channel EGT Thermocouple Capability
Yes.....20 channel!! Put one in every runner, downpipe, or anywhere you can think of!! This is critical in tuning an engine to run exactly the same on every cylinder!!!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
E85head

Great post!
Thank you!

How would you recommend installing/tunig this, as there is no one in this country who has installed one yet. Is it true pnp, or does any electrical work have to be done? I have access to dynos

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Anyone know how many reference points for ethanol content the infinity will be utilizing?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
E85head

As a few now has got experience with both the ProEFI and the Infinity: Can anyone share how they compare?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
As a few now has got experience with both the ProEFI and the Infinity: Can anyone share how they compare?
There are only a few cars running the Infinity at the moment. You'll probably have to wait a while to get some REAL feedback,

Borgwarner S467/Custom Twinscroll Tubular Manifold/Lab22-Radium E85 Fuel System/Brembo
792whp @ 555wtq 15psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I can tell you a couple things...no huge harness...full PnP standalone...full cam control that works as it is supposed to.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
AEM Infinity and ProEFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
It is blatantly obvious that AEM tried to emulate all of the options that ProEFI has with their new Infinity. In theory it looks to be able to do almost as much as the ProEFI. The big question is how well will it do this?? Infinity has now been available for the supra guys for over 6 months and there has not been one review with it working yet. The key to ProEFI's success is that all of the fueling strategies were written by the OEM manufacturers. You simply cannot get better than that. Then Jason collaborated with all of the top drag racers/road racers in the community and wrote all of the traction control, launch control, boost control and nitrous control in conjunction with all of their input. And of course the fact that there has been a ZERO percent failure rate of the ProEFI ECU is icing on the cake!
I'm surprised u don't capitalize on the fact Proefi is the only decent EMS that can do SMG

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app