E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
johnny528

My Ride: 2002 325Xi
E46 Tire Question and other Concerns

Hey guys,

Long time no Chat. Hope everyone is enjoying their babes. I have a few questions

1. My car doesnt take turns to well, the front tires are in great shape, but rears dont have two much tread but defintely above illegal level. I cant afford new tires. My car has never had an allignment i dont think. Will it be okay to just switch front to rears? Till winter. Will the diffrence be significant.

2. I believe I own a Zf Tranny . I bought it with no reverse and had it reubilt for 3500. I had the tranny for about 6,000 miles. Its running great but a few times i would engage reverse and it would act as if it was in neatural.. which is scary. I then would put in drive then reverse and it would work. My bmw was built 05/2000. This happened 3 times, 1500 miles apart. I called the mechanic for my tranny repair and he said we cant check it out till it actually goes out. He said it could be the car computer not working properly. What do u guys think?

3. My car doesnt sound so nice until im over 4,000 rpms. It sounds like a junk kinda of, im obviously exagerating, but it sounds weak and it is. Their is like no power till 4,000 rpm. MY car does have a 146,000 though. what do u guys think?

I love my e46. Assistance will be greatly appreciated thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	472055  
johnny528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
1)Not sure where you got the idea that having fresher tires in the rear will make your car turn better, but it would definitely be safer to put the better ones in the rear. Less chance of fish tailing. You can always get used tires from a tire shop, but I don't recommend it. It's a common mistake I use to make when I was younger. You want your tires to match, and you want them new. Start saving.

2)Do you still have the warranty for the rebuilt tranny? If not, I'd put my money on a crappy rebuild job as the culprit. Honestly, I've never seen an auto tranny rebuilt properly in my vast 11 years of car experience. Theres always some issue.

3)Do you have any check engine lights? Do you do maintenance? Start with the basics, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.. You might need your PCV/oil separator system replaced. Actually you probably should replace it. Check your DISA valve. I bet that might the issue. Read up on it.

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 10-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Sorry to hear about ur car issues
1) you'd be surprised how much better your car drives with new tyres and allignment
2) tranny could be expensive fix - see how long it last before it dies - dont spend too much money fixing an old one
3)probably some belts and pulleys need changing as part of routine maintenance

And my biggest advice to you son - save some money $$$$ and find a reputable independent mechanic in your area that is reasonable and knows how to fix e46s - ask ur local regional forum

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
EmFiftyFour

Or learn how to do it yourself with the help of this wonderful forum and DIY guides Really save some $$$ that way..
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
johnny528

Thanks guys. The tranny place seems very reliable. I was referred to them by European auto shops. And it has a yr warranty or 12,000 mi. I only had it for 5 thousand miles. I've worked so hard for this car all my money has gone into it. And my job
Cut my hrs dramatically. I need this tranny to last. I do some DIY. I have fixed torn mud flap that connects to bumper. Also did my own maintnce but never changed the belts since I had it. And replace lower bumper inserts. I also did some mods such as smoked turn signals, debadged, and matte black grills, just for yaw info. I love my car. Also another question. How do I change the head light lenses their very dirty.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
EmFiftyFour

If it's still under warrenty and it's not working right, they have to redo it. Him telling you it's the computer is just him trying to stall slash get rid of you cause he doesnt wanna do the job a second time for free. Lol I'd love to know how hes so sure it's the computer.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
KOpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
If it's still under warrenty and it's not working right, they have to redo it. Him telling you it's the computer is just him trying to stall slash get rid of you cause he doesnt wanna do the job a second time for free. Lol I'd love to know how hes so sure it's the computer.
Yes I wreckon that's dodge - its under warranty - it shld be fixed - take it back ASAP before warranty runs out

It's the shops responsibility to hook the transmission up correctly with the car's computer and everything else in the transmission connects to.
Don't listen to their excuses - that's B.S !!!!

If u go to McDonald's and the order a meal and the fries don't taste right - they don't tell you there is a problem with the fryer and you need to go to the fryer manufacturer to get it solved !!!!!

My Ride:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
johnny528

Thanks ko power.
I total agree.
I still
Have 6,000 mi warranty or 8 months. I'm gonna record next time reverse doesn't work.
By the way guys, I put front tires on rear and took my newer spare tire ad put it on
Front. So I just have 1 very worn tire. Im getting alignment and new tire tommarow. The cars a beast now. I took it for a test drive on wet back roads and it literally hugs the road during every turn.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
KOpower

Good see how you go - if u noted the problem twice you can still go back to the tranny shop

Remember once your warranty period runs out - then its game over and you have no basis to go back to the shop -

Good luck with the ride bud!

My Ride:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
johnny528

Thanks bro.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Sh0ty

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
What do you mean "doesn't take turns too well"? If you're experiencing understeer on the street, slow down. If you're experiencing oversteer on the street, slow down. If you're experiencing mid corner irrgularities, then maybe we can talk about ball joints / control arm bushings / tie rods.
Sh0ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
If you can't get new tires for the rear, at least get used ones for the time being...some tread is better than no tread. Don't risk the lives and properties of others. Or do not drive in the rain. When I realized I really needed new tires, I stopped driving in the rain completely and saved up until I could get new ones.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
1. You are too vague here, but you should have tires with adequate tread depth. Personally I have ran many tires to the cords in my broke-ass college student days but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. If the tires have a legal amount of tread and a decent amount of grip, you can run them.

2. 3500 is a LOT of money for a transmission whose rebuilder refuses to support his work. If you can replicate the problem for him, be firm and tell him he needs to sack up and look at it. Otherwise you will have no proof.

3. Sounds like you need to do some maintenance. No power below 4000rpm sounds like you have vacuum leaks and dead Vanos. You can get cheap Vanos rebuild kits from beisansystems.com and you may want to get the car smoke tested for vacuum leaks. It probably needs a new CCV and lots of new hoses as well as new pulleys and belts to be running tip top again. Hopefully you've been changing the oil and air filters regularly.
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh33lhop View Post
1. You are too vague here, but you should have tires with adequate tread depth. Personally I have ran many tires to the cords in my broke-ass college student days but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. If the tires have a legal amount of tread and a decent amount of grip, you can run them.

2. 3500 is a LOT of money for a transmission whose rebuilder refuses to support his work. If you can replicate the problem for him, be firm and tell him he needs to sack up and look at it. Otherwise you will have no proof.

3. Sounds like you need to do some maintenance. No power below 4000rpm sounds like you have vacuum leaks and dead Vanos. You can get cheap Vanos rebuild kits from beisansystems.com and you may want to get the car smoke tested for vacuum leaks. It probably needs a new CCV and lots of new hoses as well as new pulleys and belts to be running tip top again. Hopefully you've been changing the oil and air filters regularly.
"legal amount of tread and decent amount of grip". Although some would agree with you, I would say this is not a good test. If the pure test was a judgement call by the driver of---decent amount of grip------------we would have people (like what you did during your college days) driving on unsafe tires, that far under-perform in emergency situations. And the State limit, in many States 3/32 or 2/32 is not what I would classify as a safe tire. I really do not care about the other guy driving with substandard tires, as long as I am not on the same road near him (or he does not take out another car as a result of the accident)
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
gueste46
Banned User

My tyre retailer insists that the best tread should be on the front tyres because they control steering.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
My tyre retailer insists that the best tread should be on the front tyres because they control steering.
That would make sense on a front wheel drive car which is already prone to understeer. On a rear wheel drive, you want the wheels pushing the car to have the better tires.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
when one has to think about which axle the best tires go on, the front or the rear, it is time to consider buying a new set of tires. One can justify front, one can justify rear and come out with all good reasons. Time to buy new tires. Safety first.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
That would make sense on a front wheel drive car which is already prone to understeer. On a rear wheel drive, you want the wheels pushing the car to have the better tires.
More applicable, yes. But most RWDs and certainly E46s are prone to understeer as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
when one has to think about which axle the best tires go on, the front or the rear, it is time to consider buying a new set of tires. One can justify front, one can justify rear and come out with all good reasons. Time to buy new tires. Safety first.
Agreed. Slowing down is the only reasonable alternative.