E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
madskilz2106

My Ride: 2001 325i
Fault Code Problems

A few weeks ago, I got the fault code that lit up the "e-brake" light orange and turned the DSC light on as well. It seemed random, so I plugged in my fault code reader and cleared the code to see if it would come back on. However, when I did that, it cleared the code but did not turn the lights off. I've scanned it multiple times over the last week, and the car still shows no fault codes, but the ebrake and dsc light stay on constantly. Any idea how to turn these off? It's not a really big deal, but I just don't like looking down and seeing all these error lights when the computer shows nothing is wrong.
madskilz2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Since they are not engine related lights, OBD reader will not do anything.

Most likely rear wheel speed sensor.

Last edited by white46; 10-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
white46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Cleared WHAT code?

HINT
The DSC does not talk to the OBD II scan tool.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
madskilz2106

In that case, how can I get them to go away? Specifically if its the rear wheel speed sensor. Changing fluids etc etc.....

Be easy on me, this is my first BMW so that's just a shot in the dark.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by madskilz2106; 10-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
jdstrickland

There is no such light as the E-Brake Light.

There is a brake wear warning light that comes on when it is time for brake work. You get two of the sensors for brake wear, one on each axle. There is one on the left front and another on the right rear. The same light comes on for both of these sensors. The sensor is basically a small metal band wrapped around a block of plastic that is fitted into a brake pad, as the pad wears thin the metal band comes into contact with the brake rotor which breaks the band and turns the light on. You have to remove the tires and look at the brakes to see which axle needs your attention.

The DSC light uses inputs from lots of places, one of them is the right rear wheel. Since you have a brake wear warning and a DSC, I'd suggest you take the right rear tire off and inspect the wires to the two sensors to see if there is any damage that causes the two lights to be on.

How do you know it is the right rear wheel sensor? Do you have the ability to get the code for this? Have you pulled the tire off to see what the trouble is? There is a brake wear sensor on the same tire, perhaps you ran over a coat hanger or something, and ripped the wires out by their roots.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
madskilz2106

When I say ebreak light, I mean the red light that comes on when you engage the parking brake, not like the break wear light. Except now the light is orange instead of being red.

Last edited by madskilz2106; 10-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
MrAdventure

My Ride: '99 Z3, '00 328Ci
The e-Brake light is tied to a simple switch at the e-brake mechanism in the center console. The light stays on until the emergency brake is fully disengaged. If it is misaligned, say, after being bent while working in or removing the center console, the light will stay on, and, in my 328Ci, will cause beeping if it is lit and you're moving at any speed. The beeping stops after a few seconds. Ask me how I know.
MrAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
jdstrickland

Pull the parking brake handle, does another light come on?

Have you looked into the brake fluid reservior to see if the fluid level is low? The lid to the brake fluid reservior has a swtich that is used to detect low fluid, have you looked to see if this switch is causing the light to be on. On my car, this switch triggers a light that says BRAKE FLUID, but it could trigger a symbol on your car. Take the cap off and move the float up and down to see if the lights change. On my car, the switch is an open circuit to hold the light off, so if you unplug the connector then the switch is open and the light should go off. The light should go off when the switch is lifted -- as it is lifted when the fluid level rises.

The Parking Brake Switch is a pretty simple thing to look at, although unless you have had the boot over the brake handle off for some reason, the switch shouldn't be a problem. But, if the light on the dash does not change when the handle is pulled, then the next step is to peel the boot away from the base of the handle and find the switch, then deal with whatever you find. You should be able to see how it is actuated, and then operate the linkage with a screwdriver or other suitable instrument to force the light to go on and off.

If you pull the parking Brake handle, and a different light comes on, then the Parking Brake Switch is working correctly.

The Parking Brake warning is the word PARK BRAKE on my car, but I've got an E36. I have a symbol that looks like (O) (where the () parts are dashed lines, not solid ones) that is used to indicate the brakes have worn out. You said that you do not have the Brake Wear light, but there is a brake wear sensor on the same corner of the car that has a speed sensor that you said has gone out. This brings me full circle, take the tire off and see what you can see.

One last thing, have you looked in your Owner's Manual to see what the lights mean? This is usually a good place to start because knowing what makes the light turn on goes a long way in turning the light off again.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
Mine was low brake fluid. result after I replaced the brake booster. So I would definately say check the fluid level!
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
madskilz2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Pull the parking brake handle, does another light come on?
Another light doesn't come on, but the brake light changes from orange to red. Then when I disengage it, it turns back to orange. I will check the fluid levels today and make sure that is not the problem.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskilz2106 View Post
Another light doesn't come on, but the brake light changes from orange to red. Then when I disengage it, it turns back to orange. I will check the fluid levels today and make sure that is not the problem.
That is the problem.

The same indicator does double duty, it tells you the parking brake is applied when red, and the fluid level is low when yellow.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Lol @ people not believing the brake light turns yellow. If your speedo works it probably was a fault with the steering angle position sensor. When was your last alignment?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
madskilz2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Lol @ people not believing the brake light turns yellow. If your speedo works it probably was a fault with the steering angle position sensor. When was your last alignment?
So I checked the brake fluid level and it is completely full.

I only bought the car about 6 months ago, so I have never aligned that. Can I do it DIY and if not how much does it cost?