E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
why is the BMW coolant system the way it is?

OK. new to BMW. Fine car. But it seems like cooling system issues are common.

I understand that plastic fails with age, and that is a likely cause of system failures.

But I can't help wondering if the design is also part of the problem.

Many (most???) cars use an overflow tank and a pressure relieve valve in the radiator cap. If the pressure gets too high, the excess fluid is directed to the overflow tank. When things cool down fluid is sucked back in from the tank.

It seems BMW uses a closed system with an "expansion" tank. I guess the idea is that the radiator will always stay filled with liquid - as it expands it compresses air in the expansion tank to make room. If somebody overfills the system there is not enough room, and something explodes. Exploding seems common here. I wonder if perhaps this is due to not leaving enough air in the expansion tank. Or maybe it is user error - if you fill above max you will likely have an explosion since the expanding fluid has no place to go.

So, anybody know why they designed it this way? Is there any over pressure release valve at all in the BMW system? If not, seems like a recipe for disaster.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Are you knowledge enough to understand the answer to your question?
What's your major?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
I'm convinced part of the problem is that people overfill the ET.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Look at the bottom of the ET cap. I think it says 200psi or something like that. I'm pretty sure the cap has a pressure release built into itself. Not 100% on that though

Last edited by peytonracer4; 10-03-2012 at 08:39 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
e46's expansion tank is also its overflow tank. There is an overflow valve built into the expansion tank. As long as you don't fill it up above the overflow tube, you should be fine. This level is higher than the maximum fill level specified on your ET. Just don't fill it up above that level.

The overall design of e46's cooling system is not the reason why those parts fail quicker than, say, Japanese cars. BMW engines run hotter than most other cars' engines (good for efficiency), which means your cooling parts have to work harder than most other cars'. Solution? Just be on top of your maintenance, and replace them before they break.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I have wondered about this. The e46 m3 system has a more "traditional" setup were if there's any excess coolant, it gets dumpe out a relief. You don't hear of similar problems on the e46 m3
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Shanebenn

My Ride: 328ci
I assume the M3s dont have the big failures partly due to a better designed cooling system but mostly due to the owners taking better care of their cars due to the larger values of their cars and most are more likely to be enthusiasts.

This comes from a non m3 owner.
Shanebenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
I think that cars used to have an overflow tank, but I suspect that most are now have pressurized expansion tanks. It reduces parts count, and so reduces cost. The cap on the expansion tank vents any excess pressure, and if overfilled will vent the excess coolant as well.

Both of my other cars (Lincolns) also have pressurized expansion tanks and no overflow. Unfortunately, they also have a similar failure rate for the tanks and other plastic cooling system parts. On the good side, they have failsafe cooling, so no engine damage if the cooling system fails.

I've had other cars with pressurized reservoirs that had seemly bullet proof cooling systems. Maybe they used better plastic?
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
I think that cars used to have an overflow tank, but I suspect that most are now have pressurized expansion tanks. It reduces parts count, and so reduces cost. The cap on the expansion tank vents any excess pressure, and if overfilled will vent the excess coolant as well.

Both of my other cars (Lincolns) also have pressurized expansion tanks and no overflow. Unfortunately, they also have a similar failure rate for the tanks and other plastic cooling system parts. On the good side, they have failsafe cooling, so no engine damage if the cooling system fails.

I've had other cars with pressurized reservoirs that had seemly bullet proof cooling systems. Maybe they used better plastic?
My Cadillac had this and I never had coolant issues which is shocking since it was a Northstar!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I have wondered about this. The e46 m3 system has a more "traditional" setup were if there's any excess coolant, it gets dumpe out a relief. You don't hear of similar problems on the e46 m3
hmmm wonder if can be retrofitted into an non-M e46
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
What's your major?
That's a bit pretentious. If you can't explain something simply, you haven't mastered that topic yet.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's a bit pretentious. If you can't explain something simply, you haven't mastered that topic yet.
I usually ignore mercforhire posts, but perhaps I should have answered his questions in case he has useful info to share. I'll go do that
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
dknightd

Quote:
I would not have asked the question if I did not think I could understand the answer.

Quote:
What's your major?
b.s. engineering physics, phd atmospheric science. I've been out of school for 25 years, so, I guess my major is living and learning. Can you help me with that?

Oh, I guess I should be polite and ask what your major is.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
My guess is the usual German thing where they over engineer something that in testing is better but in practice wears out after 5+ years.

In theory a closed system is better, until that system isn't closed anymore then its way worse.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I usually ignore mercforhire posts, but perhaps I should have answered his questions in case he has useful info to share. I'll go do that
he's a Troll. are you kidding, you think he has something useful to share? hasn't yet. people call him V.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I would not have asked the question if I did not think I could understand the answer.
b.s. engineering physics, phd atmospheric science. I've been out of school for 25 years, so, I guess my major is living and learning. Can you help me with that?
Oh, I guess I should be polite and ask what your major is.
Haha, classic. the troll walked into that one. he's a 19 yrs old pizza delivery boy.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I was going to post this same thing. M3s have a different system. Not the attached expansion tank. We also all have both Mechanical and Electric fans. So it's not all the E46 cooling systems.

I've also wondered how often the caps fail to release pressure.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 10-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Where the fvck is Mango?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto, 167k
My theory has been that the reason why they use plastic is because 1) its cheaper to make I bet and 2) they need parts on these cars to only survive the warrenty period. what happens when the warrenty is over for the second or third owner? they pay right out of pocket. i believe thats why some things on these cars have been designed the way they are

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 10-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I have no gripes with our cooling system, who am i to question it's design anyways.

However I have been driving BMWs for 8 years, and the initial shock of maintaining them has long long passed.

Bottom line, the design of this system is rock solid when well maintained, all that is required of you is to maintain it, and do it correctly.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
My theory has been that the reason why they use plastic is because 1) its cheaper to make I bet and 2) they need parts on these cars to only survive the warrenty period. what happens when the warrenty is over for the second or third owner? they pay right out of pocket. i believe thats why some things on these cars have been designed the way they are
Plastic is cheaper in quantity, but there's another reason too. You can make plastic parts in shapes and complexities that just aren't practical for metal.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmax is watching you, ghetto thread is ghetto, incur the wrath of mango, mango is watching you all