E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Plastic is cheaper in quantity, but there's another reason too. You can make plastic parts in shapes and complexities that just aren't practical for metal.
Nonetheless, it seems a bit counterintuitive to make something that is required to withstand high pressures for years out of plastic. I think the fact that mishimoto managed to make an aluminum radiator/expansion tank combination is proof that there were alternative options
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Lots of info here that will probably answer why European manufacturers make cars they way they do:

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/elv_index.htm
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Nonetheless, it seems a bit counterintuitive to make something that is required to withstand high pressures for years out of plastic. I think the fact that mishimoto managed to make an aluminum radiator/expansion tank combination is proof that there were alternative options
It is not that plastic is a bad material. It is that the plastic they chose turned out to be a bad material. Plastics/composites can be incredibly strong and durable. Anyway, the problem with the pump is the bearing anyway, isn't it? I don't hear much of the impeller disintegrating.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
This thread will go on for days

I'm not sure what thread will last longer. This one or the ET 1bar Cap Invention

Calling Dr. Dmax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Intuition is one thing. A meaningful comparison of material properties and material performance is what's really needed to determine the best material for the job.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Has someone had the updated OE/OEM expansion tank fail yet? I wonder how long those last?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
The same reason the window regulators fail--the bean counters won out over the engineers in Munich on this round.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
The same reason the window regulators fail--the bean counters won out over the engineers in Munich on this round.
Window regulators fail in all cars it seems like. I wouldn't doubt that the engineers just didn't test adequately or realistically.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So first, I read that the M3 doesn't have the same set up as non-Ms but I'm not so sure about that. I know there's a hose crossing over to the ET that we don't have, but I think that's just the way it makes the same connection we have to the ET from the upper hose. Just a hose instead of it being incorporated into upper hose fitting.

My car's second ET lasted 9 years. 9 years...and probably a good 200K miles. The first ET was replaced after 2 years.

I do think ET's fail because of overfilling...and made a thread about that...forget the title...maybe 'plastic or human error'?

My window regulator on driver's door was original up until a year or two ago. They're not crappy parts...they're just susceptible to owners who are misinformed, ignorant, dirty, or busy! I think regulators probably fail more because of owners opening windows when they're frozen...or maybe had been closed a long time in the heat and got stuck. Combine that with lack of a preventive and sensual coating of gummi pflege...what do you expect?

Most cars don't have an ET like we do. Jaguar does I know...not sure who else, but not everyone at all.

Our expansion tank is a thermal expansion tank...like in your home's thermal expansion tank. In conventional systems, the extra fluid leaves to overflow tank and returns...as explained. In ours, the air in ET (maybe 2 cups of it) is what buffers, cushions, the system. Air compresses much easier than water, you know, but when coolant heats, it expands and needs a place to go. Don't give it the air, it will take out an ET.

Also, have to say it doesn't bother me having a system that will blow apart before the engine does. If it was as rock solid as it seems some of you want, you'd then be moving extra pressure to where? The head gasket. No thanks, I'd prefer just replacing ET please.

Don't go hating on BMW guys. Continue on like this and your penance will be severe!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
...Most cars don't have an ET like we do. Jaguar does I know...not sure who else, but not everyone at all...
You can add most Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars to the list as using pressurized expansion tanks, since at least the mid 90s. Ford trucks may still use overflow tanks.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
My window regulator on driver's door was original up until a year or two ago. They're not crappy parts...they're just susceptible to owners who are misinformed, ignorant, dirty, or busy! I think regulators probably fail more because of owners opening windows when they're frozen...or maybe had been closed a long time in the heat and got stuck. Combine that with lack of a preventive and sensual coating of gummi pflege...what do you expect?
Pretty much every BMW since the mid 90s or so has been plagued with window regulator issues. To suggest that parts fail because they needed lubrication (jokingly or otherwise) pretty much confirms they are poorly-designed and/or poorly-made.
Quote:
...the air in ET (maybe 2 cups of it) is what buffers, cushions, the system. Air compresses much easier than water, you know, but when coolant heats, it expands and needs a place to go. Don't give it the air, it will take out an ET.
...no. PV=nRT so temperature and pressure are directly proportional. And pressure is pressure, with or without the air in the system.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #32
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's a bit pretentious. If you can't explain something simply, you haven't mastered that topic yet.
Pretention is as pretention does. Just explain it simply yourself to contribute something here.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #33
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
If you look at window regulators from German cars made in the 70s and early 80s, they're pretty indestructable. They'll last for decades before a motor or switch will usually fail first. As Icoleman said, the bean-counters have won and we're stuck with the current, cheaper design.

I've owned several older German cars (I keep them a long time) and have yet to experince a regulator failure until my E46 (two failures).

Last edited by klax; 10-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #34
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
So first, I read that the M3 doesn't have the same set up as non-Ms but I'm not so sure about that. I know there's a hose crossing over to the ET that we don't have, but I think that's just the way it makes the same connection we have to the ET from the upper hose. Just a hose instead of it being incorporated into upper hose fitting.

My car's second ET lasted 9 years. 9 years...and probably a good 200K miles. The first ET was replaced after 2 years.

I do think ET's fail because of overfilling...and made a thread about that...forget the title...maybe 'plastic or human error'?

Most cars don't have an ET like we do. Jaguar does I know...not sure who else, but not everyone at all.

Our expansion tank is a thermal expansion tank...like in your home's thermal expansion tank. In conventional systems, the extra fluid leaves to overflow tank and returns...as explained. In ours, the air in ET (maybe 2 cups of it) is what buffers, cushions, the system. Air compresses much easier than water, you know, but when coolant heats, it expands and needs a place to go. Don't give it the air, it will take out an ET.

Also, have to say it doesn't bother me having a system that will blow apart before the engine does. If it was as rock solid as it seems some of you want, you'd then be moving extra pressure to where? The head gasket. No thanks, I'd prefer just replacing ET please.

Don't go hating on BMW guys. Continue on like this and your penance will be severe!
M3's ET/Reservoir has a fluid relief - if the coolant level is too high, it will simply get dumped out. Much lower chance of over pressurizing the system. In a non-M, if you overfill, then you very well can cause the average pressures to increase more than the system was designed for.

Btw the change in density of the coolant with temperature will be pretty small. Not enough to create a major effect on pressures. I'm sure it's something the engineers take into account when designing the system, but it's a tiny effect nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Intuition is one thing. A meaningful comparison of material properties and material performance is what's really needed to determine the best material for the job.
I think the trend of E46 expansion tanks failing so frequently compared to the reservoirs of other manufacturers' systems is pretty telling on which material has properties better suited for the job at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
...no. PV=nRT so temperature and pressure are directly proportional. And pressure is pressure, with or without the air in the system.
Pressure and temperature are only directly proportional if volume (and # of gas molecules) is constant. Since Dmax is talking about the coolant expanding and taking more volume, the pressure will increase at a non-linear rate (it can be calculated if you know how the density of the coolant changes with temperature).

And Dmax is correct in that the air space acts as a buffer. The less the air volume is, the larger the effect of a fractional volume change on pressure.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-05-2012 at 12:24 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #35
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
My theory has been that the reason why they use plastic is because 1) its cheaper to make I bet and 2) they need parts on these cars to only survive the warrenty period. what happens when the warrenty is over for the second or third owner? they pay right out of pocket. i believe thats why some things on these cars have been designed the way they are
Find me a car out there that does not use plastics in 90% of their cooling system. I have posted extensively about why plastics are NOT a cheaper solution for car makers, and why they like to use them anyway, but I will just give you the broad view:
- The capital costs for plastic molds are HUGE. The one for the thermostat housing would easily be a $750k mold. And you can't just have one. They probably have a dozen. And when they stop making e46 thermostat housings, that mold is just scrap steel, because the only thing it can do is make e46 thermostat housings. Not to mention, the molds wear out. There is a limited number of parts that can be made before it is too worn to produce the dimensionally correct part. Plastic is abrasive to the mold. That single part has probably cost BMW millions of dollars in molds alone.

So, why use them?
- The parts come out of the mold ready to use, for the most part. No machining, no plating, painting, anodizing or other finish required. The same part made from aluminum is labor intensive. It requires casting, then machining operations, then finishing operations. Each of these steps introduces the chance for human error, scrapped parts loss, and dimensional variances, not to mention transportation from one facility to another. But, a part made in a properly operated plastic mold will have almost zero scrap loss, and will come out of the mold complete, and dimensionally correct, each one the same as the other. There is almost no dimensional variance.

Now, you are correct in stating that they will not last like metal parts, but they will outlive the warranty period. And yes, that is all they care about. But this has added a new type of preventative maintenance to cars, because you now have to replace parts based on age, and not because of a failure. It is now just a fact of life that this is the way things will be from now on. It sucks, but it will not stop. In fact, it will expand to other parts as time goes by.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
BECAUSE race car mudafaka
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #37
MJLavelle

The biggest problem with the ET is that it is very complex, with internal components that mean it has to be hand assembled and bonded together. The failures are mostly due to failures in that bonding process, and the fact that early ET's did not have enough internal bracing in critical areas. I am sure that if they could do it over, they would. It is just too complex, and it relied too much on the integrity of that bonding agent. Even if they had made the pieces with an interlocking joint that was then bonded, it would have been better. Instead, they are bonding two flat surfaces, which is never ideal. I have a feeling that some vendor overstated the ability of their glue to hold these things together through thousands of heating and cooling cycles.
I have not looked at the tanks on the newer models, but I would hope that they have applied some lessons learned from the e46.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #38
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
BECAUSE race car mudafaka
I should have said that too. Less typing.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #39
MJLavelle

Quote:
Unfortunately, we were at the tip of the spear in the drive to design a sealed plastic tank. Every car ends up with one part that is its weak spot, it's Achiles heel. The ET will be that part for our car.
The problem with this thing is that it is so devilishly complicated inside. The fact that they had to assemble parts inside of there should have pushed towards an aliminum canister, but there was probably a management directive that it be made out of plastic. See my other post where I mention a sealant vendor that oversold their products capabilities. If they worked their way into upper management, possibly eating the labor costs themselves to get the chance to use their bonding process, then engineering may have had no chance.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #40
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
<- original coolant system
<- original window regulators
<- original fuel pump

Winning.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmax is watching you, ghetto thread is ghetto, incur the wrath of mango, mango is watching you all