E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
dinan19

My Ride: 2004 Imola ZHP
ZHP Suspension help. (want lowest drop springs)

Like the title says I'm looking for lowering springs only that give the zhp the absolute lowest ride height. I found a few pics of a zhp with h&r race but not much content so I'm unsure. So yeah again looking for the lowest drop, slammed almost I guess. Also raceland is not an option lol.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
e46ornothing

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Coil overs.. The lowest for our cars is h&r race series.. That's wat I have.. Ur not ganna get slammed on springs enless u cut them lol
Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46ornothing View Post
Coil overs.. The lowest for our cars is h&r race series.. That's wat I have.. Ur not ganna get slammed on springs enless u cut them lol
haha yeah i looked and figured the race will be the lowest. I just dont want to get coilovers because i dont want to spend a ton of money just because i want to lower it. Im not going to track the car or anything, its just going to be a daily driver with some occasional spirited driving. Mainly want the drop for looks. Will the H&R races tuck tire at all with the stock wheels or even if i get 19's? Also can i remove the rubber spacer or whatever?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
e46/hitman

My Ride: M3
eibach sportlines have a nice drop.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46/hitman View Post
eibach sportlines have a nice drop.
Im just not sure because from what i understand my car already is lower to begin with so im worried that with the races, sportlines etc. I will not get much of a drop. Or am i wrong?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
e46ornothing

Well to answer ur questions in order.. Lol

1. Yes h&r race springs will tuck ur tires.. Quite a bit actually.. When I put the springs on I had 17" stock wheels and they were tucking.. Now I have 18" bbs's an it's still tucking.. I'm sure you'll still be tucking with 19" but u might have to roll ur fenders if I go with 19".. IMO 19" is too big for our cars.. Lol Ill see if I have any recent pics of mine..

2. No u can't take the rubber pads off cause that's the only thing holding them in there place.. Trust me I thought about doing that too lol
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
e46ornothing

Oh and 3. It will drop a lot more than ur stock springs.. When u say that ur car is lower already.. Do u mean u have aftermarket springs already or ur low with ur zhp springs compared to the stock e46? If it talking about bring "low already" with ur zhp springs.. Then just wait till u install the race springs..
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46ornothing View Post
Oh and 3. It will drop a lot more than ur stock springs.. When u say that ur car is lower already.. Do u mean u have aftermarket springs already or ur low with ur zhp springs compared to the stock e46? If it talking about bring "low already" with ur zhp springs.. Then just wait till u install the race springs..
Yeah I think I'm just gonna get coil overs cuz I know I won't be happy if I get springs. I need to be able to adjust the ride how exactly how I want. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Every thread like this should start by mentioning a budget.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Every thread like this should start by mentioning a budget.
Well all the springs are pretty much under $300 but I decided to get coil overs so that's what I'm looking for now. Either raceland or rokkor. Can I close the thread?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
dinan19

Or should I just edit the thread title to looking for raceland like my other one?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Do what you want, but this is my opinion on Rokkor/Raceland cheap-ass coilovers:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=#post14768536
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Do what you want, but this is my opinion on Rokkor/Raceland cheap-ass coilovers:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=#post14768536
Yeah no I completely understand that they are not the best quality but since it's just a daily driver and I just want to be able to adjust the ride height I think they will be fine.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan19 View Post
Well all the springs are pretty much under $300 but I decided to get coil overs so that's what I'm looking for now. Either raceland or rokkor. Can I close the thread?
I honestly hope you're joking. That's the worst decision you could make.

... and its not even just about ride quality. Those coilovers are literally the shit-pit of the suspension spectrum.
You will be putting your life at risk.

Last edited by ac_2007; 10-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #15
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
IMO you're ruining a great car. I had Racelands with Koni STR.T rear struts for a year and went back to ZHP springs with koni yellows. Ride is exceptional and handles way better. If you don't mind a noisy, bumpy, sh*tty & embarrasing ride... Racelands are the way to get that extreme drop. I hated my Racelands and was even too embarrassed to have people ride in my car.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
dinan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by euG! View Post
IMO you're ruining a great car. I had Racelands with Koni STR.T rear struts for a year and went back to ZHP springs with koni yellows. Ride is exceptional and handles way better. If you don't mind a noisy, bumpy, sh*tty & embarrasing ride... Racelands are the way to get that extreme drop. I hated my Racelands and was even too embarrassed to have people ride in my car.
Jesus are they really that bad? So they people that are running them are they just lying to not look like they made a bad purchase but in their in mind they know they ride like garbage? You know what i mean its just idk because half say they are fine and half say they stink
Lmao i dont even know anymore. Well if someone has a used set of something a little more reputable i guess, ill just keep looking in the classifieds.
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #17
Bmw0224

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Can someone post pics of h&r suspension tore tuck

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Bmw0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by euG! View Post
Good summary. You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Jesus are they really that bad? So they people that are running them are they just lying to not look like they made a bad purchase but in their in mind they know they ride like garbage? You know what i mean its just idk because half say they are fine and half say they stink
Lmao i dont even know anymore. Well if someone has a used set of something a little more reputable i guess, ill just keep looking in the classifieds.
Most folks are likely buying them just for the drop. Not a problem, unless you actually plan on driving the car over 10mph. About the ride quality, I'm guessing you have 4 types of Rokkor customers. Those that:
1. don't care about ride quality
2. somehow think its normal for a lowered suspension
3. won't acknowledge it sucks, out of pride
4. are completely surprised and take them off the car

Don't cheap out on suspension! Look for name brand stuff (Koni, Bilstein, Sachs, etc). It is a critical component of the car and one of the many outstanding parts of the E46. Buying a $400 coilover kit is the equivalent of walking into the BMW suspension engineer's office and taking a gigantic dump all over his work.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
Quote:
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Yes they are pretty bad. IMO they may be lying to themselves or just ignorant and don't know what a good adtermarket suspension feels like. They're cheap enough to give them a try. Just don't go selling your stock suspension right away because you may need them sooner than you think. My personal opinion is that you can't have one without sacrificing the other. Either you go slammed without performance or performance without being slammed.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
dinan19

Ok thanks guys appreciate it. Yeah ill just wait and find a used set in the classifieds for something more substancial.