E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
6.5" Subs in rear deck

I'm looking to place some CDT M6 drivers (or similar) in the rear speaker locations. Dose anyone have them installed? I'm looking to add some bass to the rear, but not looking to take the trunk because I need it. I know it's not going to sound like a 12" in a box, but figured better than nothing. My biggest concern is the magnet width and depth. I don't have the HK sub's in my car, just the two holes for the stock mids. I already applied some sound-deadning to the bottom shelf of the rear deck inside the trunk.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
I put CDT 6.5 inch woofers in the rear shelf. I had to do a little trimming to accommodate even those. The depth wasn't really an issue and would be fairly easy to overcome, it had more to do with the width of the top opening relative to the speaker mounting points. With some pre-fitting and a little trimming you should be able to get your speakers to mount properly.
Another consideration will be the space requirements between the stock speaker grill and the top of the speaker- rubber surrounds, woofer movement, etc. I JUST had enough room for my speakers without having to adapt the mounting depth for this clearance.
Good luck, and I am curious to how it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
What model of CDT woofers did you use? I was thinking of making some MDF rings and stacking a couple of them to mount the woofer to the sheet metal under the speaker grills and not the actual deck. If I can just drop the in with some 6.5 adapter rings like the stock speakers, that would be awesome. I've seen some 12' and 8' subs in the rear deck when I was searching the forums, but I'd rather not cut holes in the rear deck.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
why not make up a new rear deck (easy to do) and go with some 8's like sundown, they like to get low for an 8
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I put in Kicker 6.5 subs in the rear, cut out the bottom of the stock enclosure on the bottom and added passive crossovers. Sounded really good! But tonight am in the middle of adding a 400 amp to them. Mounted subs in stock location. Have done a lot of setup experiments. The 6.5 Kickers can handle the extra power. Will have to experiment with amps built in crossovers to get perfect balance from front to rear but still providing the thump. Will thump but I don't think it will boom boom. I don't care for the over the top boom boom of huge enclosures that take away from true sound of something, or taking up my truck space. From the head unit I run the stock tweeters, and the 6.5 kicker ds65' s in the doors. Then upgraded from the 3 inch mids in the doors to 4.5"'s. had to mod the doors for the 4.5's. but look great and sound awesome. The only thing that was a little work was the 6.5 in the rear. Had to remove basket from mount, then attach 6.5's to them to use stock bolt holes. Plenty of room from top of speaker and cone from grills.

Last edited by sfcjetjr; 10-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
sfcjetjr

My buddy did the 8 thing to the bottom of the deck and ran 800 to them. Had to glue down grills over the hole where the 6.5's were. Just used the trunk as the enclosure. Plus some expand foam to fill in space between deck and package shelf to stop vibrations.

Last edited by sfcjetjr; 10-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by albarran9 View Post
What model of CDT woofers did you use? I was thinking of making some MDF rings and stacking a couple of them to mount the woofer to the sheet metal under the speaker grills and not the actual deck. If I can just drop the in with some 6.5 adapter rings like the stock speakers, that would be awesome.
I just installed these:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10525-cl...aker-pair.aspx

..and they sound great. A nice match for the stock system because they have a 2 Ohm version option. If you
don't want to pony up for BSW speakers, these are the way to go. Mounting depth is fine....I used brackets from here:

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/

Last edited by RichReg; 10-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
sfcjetjr

After a day with the amp installed I did not like it. Took it out and went back to HU with the passive crossovers. Sticking with that. The crossovers came from a set of Memphis audio component set I believe they are crossed at 1500 and below.