E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #41
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
<- original coolant system
<- original window regulators
<- original fuel pump

Winning.
Original brakes, at 120k+ miles.
Window regulators
Cooling system, except for ET
Original plugs and coils
Original VCG
Original suspension
Not proud of any of that....

I have replacements on hand for every single one of them.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #42
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
<- original fuel pump

Winning.
Until you're left stranded on the side of the highway in the cold. Have fun with that
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #43
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Pretty much every BMW since the mid 90s or so has been plagued with window regulator issues. To suggest that parts fail because they needed lubrication (jokingly or otherwise) pretty much confirms they are poorly-designed and/or poorly-made.

...no. PV=nRT so temperature and pressure are directly proportional. And pressure is pressure, with or without the air in the system.
Your last statement is true but misleading. If the system has no air (meaning it is a solid system, all water), then a small increase in temperature can create huge pressures. Water does change density with temperature a little bit. However water hardly changes density with pressure. If you heat a solid system, you will blow it up very quickly. For example, given constant volume, water at 1 atm and 25C heated to 40C will then be at 110 atm pressure. That is insane. i.e. overfilling the cooling system WILL blow up your ET.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-05-2012 at 07:24 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #44
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
... That is insane. i.e. overfilling the cooling system WILL blow up your ET.
Only if the pressure relief valve in the expansion tank cap fails. Otherwise, it will vent the excess coolant.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Only if the pressure relief valve in the expansion tank cap fails. Otherwise, it will vent the excess coolant.
Correct. My calculation was obviously with no pressure relief. It was just to demonstrate how powerful a solid system of water is (and dangerous).
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #46
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Quote:
<- original fuel pump

Winning.
+1 to that. Also same year, model and color car. I think this is saying something lol.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #47
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude90 View Post
+1 to that. Also same year, model and color car. I think this is saying something lol.
Orient blue ftw. Though I have a Coupe. I also have hte original cooling system. How many miles you got? I'm at 66k.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #48
lakedude90

just crossed 71k
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #49
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Until you're left stranded on the side of the highway in the cold. Have fun with that
with an overheating engine and four windows that won't roll up.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #50
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
that you don't do PMCS?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #51
lakedude90

I just havent done it yet more or less. I have plans to. I just have to get all the parts to do it. It will be done by the spring time.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #52
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Race car mudafaka
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto, 167k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Find me a car out there that does not use plastics in 90% of their cooling system. I have posted extensively about why plastics are NOT a cheaper solution for car makers, and why they like to use them anyway, but I will just give you the broad view:
- The capital costs for plastic molds are HUGE. The one for the thermostat housing would easily be a $750k mold. And you can't just have one. They probably have a dozen. And when they stop making e46 thermostat housings, that mold is just scrap steel, because the only thing it can do is make e46 thermostat housings. Not to mention, the molds wear out. There is a limited number of parts that can be made before it is too worn to produce the dimensionally correct part. Plastic is abrasive to the mold. That single part has probably cost BMW millions of dollars in molds alone.

So, why use them?
- The parts come out of the mold ready to use, for the most part. No machining, no plating, painting, anodizing or other finish required. The same part made from aluminum is labor intensive. It requires casting, then machining operations, then finishing operations. Each of these steps introduces the chance for human error, scrapped parts loss, and dimensional variances, not to mention transportation from one facility to another. But, a part made in a properly operated plastic mold will have almost zero scrap loss, and will come out of the mold complete, and dimensionally correct, each one the same as the other. There is almost no dimensional variance.

Now, you are correct in stating that they will not last like metal parts, but they will outlive the warranty period. And yes, that is all they care about. But this has added a new type of preventative maintenance to cars, because you now have to replace parts based on age, and not because of a failure. It is now just a fact of life that this is the way things will be from now on. It sucks, but it will not stop. In fact, it will expand to other parts as time goes by.
Thanks for broadening my view on the matter..

But I do find the conventional cooling system to be much more reliable. So much easier to bleed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Lots of info here that will probably answer why European manufacturers make cars they way they do:

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/elv_index.htm
Ooo, would have never thought this..

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 10-05-2012 at 02:11 PM.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #54
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post

Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Lots of info here that will probably answer why European manufacturers make cars they way they do:

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/elv_index.htm

Ooo, would have never thought this..
When do the gov regulations for our protection get to the point where the fees for a car or whatever get so high that they surpass the cost of the car? Only fifty people in the country will be able to afford cars, and they'll all be gov employees!
At some point it's beyond stupid.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #55
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
When do the gov regulations for our protection get to the point where the fees for a car or whatever get so high that they surpass the cost of the car? Only fifty people in the country will be able to afford cars, and they'll all be gov employees!
At some point it's beyond stupid.
I see your point, but regulations like these are okay. Sometimes these laws can be good as it forces manufacturers to invent new processes and materials for their cars. In some segments, progress would stagnate without government intervention. For example, in the US cars are going to be required to acheive 35 mpg in the future. This is pushing manufacturers to build engines capable of this. At first they complain, then they engineer around it. Just like catalytic converters in the 70s. Cars made in that era make next to no power (the 70s Corvette was slow as ****). However, today, engines are so much better and cats are too, that we make more power with 90% less emissions. I'm not saying the govt can't go too far, but for now, the practices are good.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #56
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
just crossed 71k
I have 109K+
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #57
2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
that you don't do PMCS?
I don't PM isht that doesn't break. Don't have cash to waste and if I did, I still wouldn't waste it.

I never said I don't flush coolant/diff/trans every 50000 kms and do my oil changes every 10-15K kms. I take care of my car, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mechanic FTW, I have a good handle on the pulse of my car.

If I'd have JFOJ'd or Mangoed as those "gurus" suggest, I'd have thrown away somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2 grand by now and not had my car running any better than it is in the current condition.

P.S. My Victor Reinz (OMG!!!!!11) VCG isn't leaking either some 1.5 years later, should I post in that thread too?

This board like any other car board has an epidemic of people with no mechanical skill who all think they can/should work on their own vehicle. There are few that can/should as evidenced by the multitude of inane/assinine threads that exist. On top of that we have others telling these very same people who don't know WTH they are doing to replace isht at crazy intervals. These people are either egomaniacs who think everyone should follow their (mostly unfounded) advice, or secretly parts dealers or work in the auto parts industry. I vote for the former.

Happy motoring (makes me think this should be engineing... more correct).
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #58
2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
with an overheating engine and four windows that won't roll up.
I'll keep waiting, you keep spending, we'll see who's pocketbook comes out ahead ok?

For interest's sake do you have AAA or anyone else that will give you a tow that you subscibe to?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
cheap fix is a good fix.
me and 2003 325i are basically townmates. great minds think alike.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #60
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
I'll keep waiting, you keep spending, we'll see who's pocketbook comes out ahead ok?

For interest's sake do you have AAA or anyone else that will give you a tow that you subscibe to?
I have roadside assistance, that doesn't mean I'm OK with breaking down. Breakdowns don't happen when you expect them to, they happen randomly. What if you're on your way to an important meeting or there's an emergency then your car leaves you stranded on the side of the highway? All because you needed to thicken your pockets? Sounds pretty stupid to me... but keep thinking you're smarter then the cautious people, I find it amusing

Tags
dmax is watching you, ghetto thread is ghetto, incur the wrath of mango, mango is watching you all