E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
Role of this plug (FM amplifier)

Hi,

Could anyone tell me the role of this orange plug in the middle from the FM/AM amplifier and where it is supposed to plug into.

Thanks

Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
that solid white wire I believe is the turn on wire for the antenna.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Spot on jgold. When you turn on the Radio it power up the FM/AM amp.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
jgold47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbi701 View Post
Gold star for me!

my about me link

Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Fooljam

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
It is missing on this car and the radio reception is poor, which would explain.
Does it take any 12V source?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
jgold47

do you have the factory amp? otherwise, you could feed it any 12v SWITCHED source.

my about me link

Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Could anyone tell me the role of this orange plug in the middle from the FM/AM amplifier and where it is supposed to plug into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbi701 View Post
The single white wire with brown connector supplies power for the AM/FM portion of the FZV antenna amplifier.

That black wire with the silver connector that is dangling in the image you posted is NOT power as noted on the picture. There is no way in the world an automotive engineer would put power DC power on a piece of what looks like RG-174 coax with an SMB connector. That cable/connector can handle RF up to 3-4GHz. That cable is for diversity and not for power.

I have descriptions of all the wires here if you're interested on my web page www.bmwgm5.com/fzv_antenna_amp.htm

Last edited by scottjoh; 10-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I'm confused.

You point to a wire that appears to be plugged in and ask, "what's it for?" and describe a symptom that is caused by the wire that's not plugged in yet has a note pointing to it, "you do not need this."

The antenna wire is the one that's not connected, at least on my E36 the antenna connection on the back of the radio looks _exactly_ like the one on the wire that's hanging.

I'm not sure how you want the antenna signal to get from the antenna to the radio without all of the wires plugged in. You need power to the antenna amplifier, and you need the antenna to go into the amplifier on one side and come out again on the other and continue to the back of the radio.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Fooljam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
I'm confused.

You point to a wire that appears to be plugged in and ask, "what's it for?" and describe a symptom that is caused by the wire that's not plugged in yet has a note pointing to it, "you do not need this."

The antenna wire is the one that's not connected, at least on my E36 the antenna connection on the back of the radio looks _exactly_ like the one on the wire that's hanging.

I'm not sure how you want the antenna signal to get from the antenna to the radio without all of the wires plugged in. You need power to the antenna amplifier, and you need the antenna to go into the amplifier on one side and come out again on the other and continue to the back of the radio.
This picture is just a picture found on the internet...it is not present on the customers car, hence my question, I knew about all the others but not that one.
You can stop getting confused now

Again guys, thanks for your help