E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
HPF Kirk
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Thumbs Up Paul's HPF Custom Turbo 6766 M3 Build

Paul has had his Stage 2 for over 2 years and is ready to upgrade!
He's going to go with the Stage 3 Exhaust, Darton Sleeves, and the new 6766. With the power we are making on the 6766 Paul decided to go with a quicker spool setup than our standard Stage 3 PT7168BB.

Enjoy!



















HPF Kirk is offline  
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Why would some one want to sleeve a 67mm build?
Nice car. Love the details.
__________________
Bdave is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
HPF Kirk
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Why would some one want to sleeve a 67mm build?
Nice car. Love the details.
67mm now... Future....? You never know right?
HPF Kirk is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
leletyM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,573
My Ride: 05 M3
So it is a Stg2.5 with sleeved block correct?
__________________
05 BMW ///M3 SMG - Jet Black/Gray

HPF Stg2 Turbo 640rwhp, Eisenmann Race 83mmx4, Volk TE37 TA, Toyo T1R, Brembo BBK 380mm 6pots & 345, 6k HID, 6K HID Fogs, Depo Smoked Corners, Strassentech Front Lip, V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser

leletyM3 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
HPF Kirk
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by leletyM3 View Post
So it is a Stg2.5 with sleeved block correct?
Technically its a 2.75 with a 6766 turbo... Hence the Custom Turbo
HPF Kirk is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Kirk View Post
67mm now... Future....? You never know right?
Well, there you go. Cool. I was waiting for someone to do this build (not necessarily with a sleeved block). It was only a matter of time.The results should prove to be most interesting.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-03-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Bdave is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
skidawg112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2002 M3 COUPE 6SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Why would some one want to sleeve a 67mm build?
Nice car. Love the details.
Thank you! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I called Kirk and went back and forth with him on the phone about going ALL out stage 3 or stickin' with a 6766 and all the options I could toss into the mix on top of that. I'm still kinda torn between the 2 set ups but like I told Kirk, I'd rather just get the sleeve done now while the engine is out and then later on if I decide to go stage 3, I'm basically just a fuel rail and bigger turbo away

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Kirk View Post
67mm now... Future....? You never know right?
Exactly! At least I've got my ducks in line and how can ya go wrong with a sleeved block? Thank you for all your help Kirk! Can't wait to see how it comes out!
__________________
HPF STAGE 2.5

Last edited by skidawg112; 10-04-2012 at 03:19 AM.
skidawg112 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
lrinco01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington,TX -- Afghanistan
Posts: 986
My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Cool EXCITED FOR YOU Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawg112 View Post
Thank you! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I called Kirk and went back and forth with him on the phone about going ALL out stage 3 or stickin' with a 6766 and all the options I could toss into the mix on top of that. I'm still kinda torn between the 2 set ups but like I told Kirk, I'd rather just get the sleeve done now while the engine is out and then later on if I decide to go stage 3, I'm basically just a fuel rail and bigger turbo away !

Paul, CONGRATS!!! I can't wait to see the results and your Initial Impressions when YOU get her back and DRIVE HER YOURSELF!!!!
__________________
Leonel Aka " Rico"
BMWCCA # 403748
01 BMW E46 M3 / 6 SPD / Tiag / Imola
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,502
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Kirk
67mm now... Future....? You never know right?
Well, there you go. Cool. I was waiting for someone to do this build (not necessarily with a sleeved block). It was only a matter of time.The results should prove to be most interesting.
What about this has not been done?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________
InDiGlOM3 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
dallasberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,167
My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
What about this has not been done?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
6766 with no muffler? I know of a guy running the 6776 with no muffler, but I don't think the gains were enough to get excited about.
__________________
Custom Turbo Build By Lab22

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
FragNasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 171
My Ride: Car
Sleeves - decisions decisions

Will be an awesome build! Can't wait to see numbers!

Last edited by FragNasty; 10-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
FragNasty is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
skidawg112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2002 M3 COUPE 6SPD
It's sooo tempting to just pull the trigger and go stage 3 but I hardly ever run race fuel so if I'm not gunna run it at it's absolute max all the time, I figured I might as well get a nice fast spool at least and solid numbers for pump and meth with the 6766. I think it's matter of deciding between if i want to have a little more power that takes longer to kick in or a having a little less power that kicks in sooner. I don't track my car or anything. It's purely for enjoyment.
__________________
HPF STAGE 2.5
skidawg112 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Does a QSV plus a 71 or 76mm turbo have the same spool as a 6766? Ask larry from SP via email. He might have some insight in to your dilemma.
__________________
Bdave is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Does a QSV plus a 71 or 76mm turbo have the same spool as a 6766? Ask larry from SP via email. He might have some insight in to your dilemma.
Haha, Bdave, you must love the concept of a QSV. You're always the first to bring up the idea. I don't blame you, I'm very curious myself.
__________________


04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,864
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Do not go Stage 3...get the FIC1100's...pretty much the same thing without the stupid price...and you could add a fuel surge tank from radium with two pumps for the perfect setup. 6766 + OEM Exhaust; Cutout and Open Dump is probably the perfect combination...Sleeves not needed imo. If anyone wants a 4" HPF exhaust with race resonators PM me and we can arrange something
__________________

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 10-04-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,502
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
6766 with no muffler? I know of a guy running the 6776 with no muffler, but I don't think the gains were enough to get excited about.
Non. Of the other 6766 guys run no muffler? Or a electric dump?

I run the 6776 straight pipes.....707whp. Ill be getting 6766 in feb after i move into my new house

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________

Last edited by InDiGlOM3; 10-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
InDiGlOM3 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
jchris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 101
My Ride: HPF BMW M3 Stg 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Non. Of the other 6766 guys run no muffler? Or a electric dump?

I run the 6776 straight pipes.....707whp. Ill be getting 6766 in feb after i move into my new house

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Pump? Pump+Meth? Race? Race+Meth?

thanks!
__________________
jchris is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Do not go Stage 3...get the FIC1100's...pretty much the same thing without the stupid price...and you could add a fuel surge tank from radium with two pumps for the perfect setup. 6766 + OEM Exhaust; Cutout and Open Dump is probably the perfect combination...Sleeves not needed imo. If anyone wants a 4" HPF exhaust with race resonators PM me and we can arrange something
@the OP: Well, there you go. This advice is from someone with a 71mm turbo.
You might want to listen to him. Everything that he says is good advice...the injectors, the surge tank, and the turbo size. I would definitely go this route. It is straight forward, no gismos. The 6766 is a great turbo. It is capable of putting out some serious power. Try the set up. If you STILL need more power on pump plus meth(I dont think you will) you can talk to HPF about turning up the boost. That may or may not gain you anything. That would be something to discuss as a possibility with HPF. Note: You may loose certain warranties if you do that.

Bottom line is that the 6766 is probably the most desirable turbo out there right now in terms of power vs spool time. You might as well go for it.
The OEM exhaust might be just fine for flow. Add a cut out for the track.
The OEM muffler will actually flow big HP, but i personally would get an Agency Power muffler. Discuss all this with HPF. I THINK they will be in agreement. Let us know.

Oh, and unless you plan on becoming a stage 4, the sleeved block is not necessary. HPF standard built block is fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
Haha, Bdave, you must love the concept of a QSV. You're always the first to bring up the idea. I don't blame you, I'm very curious myself.
I absolutely love the the reality of the QSV, not just the concept. The QSV just plain works..extremely well. Unfortunately HPF has yet to install one on an E46.

Only two outfits have done this: SAAD and SP. It is a very tricky installation involving cutting and re welding an actuator arm because of space constraints.
It also involves a special turbo housing.
I would really like to see HPF install one some day...even on a 6766! That would be something.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Bdave is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
FragNasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 171
My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Do not go Stage 3...get the FIC1100's...pretty much the same thing without the stupid price...and you could add a fuel surge tank from radium with two pumps for the perfect setup. 6766 + OEM Exhaust; Cutout and Open Dump is probably the perfect combination...Sleeves not needed imo. If anyone wants a 4" HPF exhaust with race resonators PM me and we can arrange something
+1 to no sleeves! It's too bleeding edge for anything that's not a garage queen or a car that is part of a race team prepared to swap motors. I don't believe the stage 3 kit even requires sleeves. It's an option that reduces displacement (and power) with the intention of thickening the walls between cylinders because of fears that the head gasket may fail at those points.

IMO It's just another thing that can give problems (if they move). The S54 with the L19's over-torqued has addressed the gasket issue; there haven't been any members complaining about blown head gaskets or heads lifting with that setup.

Adding sleeves, which will weaken the block (side effect of the extensive over-boring requirements to insert the sleeves), and the L19's and the extra torquing and you have a recipe for unwanted headache possibilities [in cylinder #5]! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=174)

So why try to solve a problem (thinner walls between cylinders) before you can even confirm it's actually a problem? Enjoy the 3.4 displacement and the extra power that can be had with a setup that hasn't proven to be anything but reliable.
FragNasty is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
+1 to no sleeves! It's too bleeding edge for anything that's not a garage queen or a car that is part of a race team prepared to swap motors. I don't believe the stage 3 kit even requires sleeves. It's an option that reduces displacement (and power) with the intention of thickening the walls between cylinders because of fears that the head gasket may fail at those points.

IMO It's just another thing that can give problems (if they move). The S54 with the L19's over-torqued has addressed the gasket issue; there haven't been any members complaining about blown head gaskets or heads lifting with that setup.

Adding sleeves, which will weaken the block (side effect of the extensive over-boring requirements to insert the sleeves), and the L19's and the extra torquing and you have a recipe for unwanted headache possibilities [in cylinder #5]! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=174)

So why try to solve a problem (thinner walls between cylinders) before you can even confirm it's actually a problem? Enjoy the 3.4 displacement and the extra power that can be had with a setup that hasn't proven to be anything but reliable.
What he said. Plus the extra expense. You can use that money MUCH better in areas like a better exhaust maifold. You want power, that's the area you need to be looking at. Thats the bottleneck. I think even below 800HP it counts.
Talk to SAAD or SP about a tubular manifold. Talk to Kirk at HPF about a tubular mainifold. It would be nice that the installation is all part of HPF build so your tune is pure HPF. It really helps if you have any warranty issues. Stay with HPF as much as possible, but tell them what you really want.

That 6766 makes mad power on SUPRAS which have better flowing exhaust manis an better flowing intake tubes.

If it all gets too complicated, then just let HPF do their standard build (no sleeved block) and DRIVE your car. The chances are good you will be pretty darn happy. You can always fiddle with manifolds and intakes way down the line.
But run the idea past HPF and see what they can do for you with being too costly and time consuming. You can easily shelve that idea for much later if now does not seem like the time for all that.
Good Luck. And dont stress. I think HPF can make that 6766 do everything that you need. They are good guys who want to please. And they are very capable.

One more thing. i ALWAYS like a baseline Dyno run with NO air cleaner no matter what the vehicle. I do this with Motorcycles, cars, FI, NA, etc.
It gives you very good picture if your air filter is restrictive. I think Marcus was loosing 50 PLUS HP with his airfilter. He has a bigger build so the figure is going to be pretty high. But you get the idea. I recommend the AFE air filter that has a hollow center for even more surface area. If needed, that is. Changing air filter models or brands is often the cheapest way to pick up some significant power. You will never know unless you do that Dyno pull with no air filter.

I could be all wrong about needing a tubular manifold and better intake breathing. I am going on logic not much else. I would very much like Larry from SP to chime in here and comment. I trust his judgment. I will ask him nicely to participate.
I feel I was talking a bit freely with no real hard facts behind me. Larry is the guy that this thread needs now IMO. I emailed him.

It's the weekend...a long one at that. So, I dont know exactly when we will be hearing from Larry. When we do, listen!
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 10-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Bdave is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use