E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
timothyfuqua

My Ride: 03 330i
Need some info on testing the KBUS once you have the comb removed and access to all of the wires. I've read about testing the KBUS itself (should be 12v), testing for continuity on each wire and so on. I'm not super familiar with multimeters and this is where I have a few questions. Where do you place the test leads to test the KBUS? I'm assuming it's the actual metal comb itself that all of the wires are connected to? Also, to check for continuity (or resistance/lack of resistance), where to place the test leads?

I've also read that only a digital multimeter should be used as an analog meter draws enough current to potentially damage sensitive electronics. Not sure if that's BS or not, just wanted to be sure. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #22
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
If you have a temp sensor etc in the plastic splash shields/underbody wheel well panels, (under the front bumper), check them too..

Sometimes those sensors get damaged or ripped out and wires are exposed if the car hits road debris.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
timothyfuqua

Yea thought of that and it checked out ok, but thanks for the input. BUMP for KBUS testing info?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
timothyfuqua

Jbeurotech, if you're out there I'm going to need you to step away from your business and your paying customers and help a complete stranger who will offer you no compensation whatsoever, and I need you to do it now!!!

Last edited by timothyfuqua; 03-04-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: adding addtional txt
timothyfuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #25
timothyfuqua

bump
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #26
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=430153

Tim, if you hadn't read this post before, I hope it helps. Would be awesome, especially after the time you've struggled with this.

Doesn't answer your question posted just above, but responds to your issues in the first post.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
timothyfuqua

I have read the post and it was helpful. Thank you for chiming in and offering your help. Hopefully I'll get the info I need soon. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #28
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=bus+diagnosis

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=bus

Read!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
timothyfuqua

Thanks and I have read those very posts through and through. They were very helpful but didn't answer my questions about testing the KBUS splice with a multimeter. Another member asked a similar question as to the testing process but his question wasn't answered. I'm assuming when testing for voltage you want the + lead on whichever wire you're testing and the - lead on a grounding source? To test a KBUS wire at the comb for continuity, I'm assuming it would require you to place a test lead on the wire at the comb itself and the other test lead where the wire connects to the specific module you're testing. These were my only questions that, after furious searching, I couldn't really find a definitive answer to. To be clear, I try really hard not to post questions without a lot of searching and a lot of reading on this forum. Thanks again for everybodys time.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #30
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
One lead on the Comb the other on Ground!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
timothyfuqua

Well the time is finally here when I can say that the problem has been properly diagnosed. After a lot of reading and research, and with the invaluable help of members here, I've tested the KBUS and found that the passenger side mirror has been the culprit all along. I'm going to post pictures later of how to remove the KBUS comb and test it for future references. Anyway, I'm not sure if there is a short in the wire or perhaps the motor inside the mirror housing is bad. I'll go from here with a lot more experience and information under my belt. I'll keep the latest info posted and hopefully it can help members in the future.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
I've had the same problems on and off since I bought the car, I even had everything out for a period of 6 months straight. Jbeurotech's threads have been a huge help. For me it was my rain sensor module. I haven't properly fixed it yet, but unplugging it and plugging it back it seems to fix the problem for a while...until it comes back.

Last edited by boatshoe; 05-30-2012 at 02:28 PM.
boatshoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
timothyfuqua

Same here. I isolated the problem to the passenger side mirror switch, which I have left disconnected. There is definitely a short or exposed wire in there somewhere that rain/moisture wrecks havoc upon. It's still a great comfort to know what and where the source of the problem is so I can tackle it in the future. Forum FTW!!