E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
jonwrong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2002 325i
I apologize for not replying sooner. I threw a whole host of airbag codes when I did an overhaul on the car after purchase. I had the side door air bags out, the seats unplugged, etc. All of the does would reset except the side door air bags. There is a thread on here or another board about what resistor to use to fool the computer.

Basically, the airbag (if working properly) places a certain amount of resistance on the wire running to and back from it. When I used the resistors, I was able to reset the light. Thus, I knew the airbags had gone bad. I left the resistors wired in place, and the problem was permanently solved. New air bags would work too. I think if you disconnect or reconnect the bag at any point when the battery is hooked up, or have the airbag unplugged while there is power, the airbags are ruined.
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
I apologize for not replying sooner. I threw a whole host of airbag codes when I did an overhaul on the car after purchase. I had the side door air bags out, the seats unplugged, etc. All of the does would reset except the side door air bags. There is a thread on here or another board about what resistor to use to fool the computer.

Basically, the airbag (if working properly) places a certain amount of resistance on the wire running to and back from it. When I used the resistors, I was able to reset the light. Thus, I knew the airbags had gone bad. I left the resistors wired in place, and the problem was permanently solved. New air bags would work too. I think if you disconnect or reconnect the bag at any point when the battery is hooked up, or have the airbag unplugged while there is power, the airbags are ruined.

Jon, yes exactly. I accidently reconnected the battery before connecting the drivers side door airbag after changing the window regulator. That set the code and I could not clear it for nothing with the SRS reset tool. For posterity, I'll let you all know that I checked absoulutely everything I could in and around that door and all looked perfect but to make a long story short I finally reset my SRS light by using Carsoft to clear it. I can not explain why the B300 SRS reset tool would not work but Carsoft did.

After resetting it with Carsoft the light has not been back on and it's been a couple weeks.

Last edited by gixxerguy; 09-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
jonwrong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2002 325i
Wow, nice. Where did you get carsoft, cost, etc.?
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
Wow, nice. Where did you get carsoft, cost, etc.?
I purchased this from a seller named catastefy on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...item4cf9b475a7

I figured what the heck, it's only money. I will tell you that this is not for the faint of heart. I am an industrial programmer by profession and it took me a while to get it all working on my laptop. I'm not saying others can't get it working but they better be very computer savvy. And you run the risk of "bricking" your car (which I did trash my GM5 module , but luckily I made a backup file and was able to restore it).
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
jonwrong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy View Post
I purchased this from a seller named catastefy on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...item4cf9b475a7

I figured what the heck, it's only money. I will tell you that this is not for the faint of heart. I am an industrial programmer by profession and it took me a while to get it all working on my laptop. I'm not saying others can't get it working but they better be very computer savvy. And you run the risk of "bricking" your car (which I did trash my GM5 module , but luckily I made a backup file and was able to restore it).
I bought the cable too. I hope I do not "brick" my car.
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
I bought the cable too. I hope I do not "brick" my car.
Just read all the setup files, some are not in English but there are good screenshots and you will figure it out. After that, hit Youtube and watch some how-to video's for each software. I can try to answer specific questions but I am no expert.
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #27
scottjoh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,080
My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy View Post
I also replaced my drivers door window regulator and gosh dang dammit, forgot to disconnect the battery. Now the SRS light is ON and my SRS reset tool (B300) will not reset the light. I have had the door apart several times checking wiring, connectors, etc and everything looks perfect.
What is the fault code? The fault can tell you a lot about what the source of the problem might be.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
330iZSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KC
Posts: 125
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
I apologize for not replying sooner. I threw a whole host of airbag codes when I did an overhaul on the car after purchase. I had the side door air bags out, the seats unplugged, etc. All of the does would reset except the side door air bags. There is a thread on here or another board about what resistor to use to fool the computer.

Basically, the airbag (if working properly) places a certain amount of resistance on the wire running to and back from it. When I used the resistors, I was able to reset the light. Thus, I knew the airbags had gone bad. I left the resistors wired in place, and the problem was permanently solved. New air bags would work too. I think if you disconnect or reconnect the bag at any point when the battery is hooked up, or have the airbag unplugged while there is power, the airbags are ruined.
Is there a way to test the airbag to see if it's bad? I've been checking everything inside my doors to make sure that the wiring is fine after I replaced my regulator. Well, really all I've done is checked for continuity in the wires... Everything seems to check out fine but when I go to my local Indy shop it doesn't reset the light. I'm about to just order a new door harness to make sure that all the wiring is fine, but if there is a way to check the airbag first I'd like to do that.
330iZSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #29
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZSP View Post
Is there a way to test the airbag to see if it's bad? I've been checking everything inside my doors to make sure that the wiring is fine after I replaced my regulator. Well, really all I've done is checked for continuity in the wires... Everything seems to check out fine but when I go to my local Indy shop it doesn't reset the light. I'm about to just order a new door harness to make sure that all the wiring is fine, but if there is a way to check the airbag first I'd like to do that.
I would not advise any airback checks of any type. A voltage induced onto the contacts could very well ruin your day. I would just replace it. Check ebay, I ran across several for less than $80.
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
What is the fault code? The fault can tell you a lot about what the source of the problem might be.
All it said was Drivers side airbag. Problem is that there are three on the drivers side!!! LOL Doesn't really matter now, it just needed to be reset with Carsoft and not the handheld B300 SRS reset tool. My SRS Light has never came back on since.
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
330iZSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KC
Posts: 125
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy View Post
I would not advise any airback checks of any type. A voltage induced onto the contacts could very well ruin your day. I would just replace it. Check ebay, I ran across several for less than $80.
I realize that but using a mulit-meter to test it will not send an electrical signal through the airbag. I ended up finding a way to test the airbag through http://airbagsystems.com/. I emailed them to make sure it was safe to test the way that their video shows on my side-door airbag. I'm sure my airbag isn't bad and I've been leaning more towards the wiring inside the door. I'll be ordering a replacement harness through ECS Tuning to replace it and then head to my local INDY shop to have them shut off the light.
330iZSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
gixxerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 43
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZSP View Post
I realize that but using a mulit-meter to test it will not send an electrical signal through the airbag. I ended up finding a way to test the airbag through http://airbagsystems.com/. I emailed them to make sure it was safe to test the way that their video shows on my side-door airbag. I'm sure my airbag isn't bad and I've been leaning more towards the wiring inside the door. I'll be ordering a replacement harness through ECS Tuning to replace it and then head to my local INDY shop to have them shut off the light.
Let us know how it turns out!
gixxerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #33
CrazyOneToo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 224
My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
I was also replacing a regulator recently and decided to check on my airbag light cause while I was in there.
I bought a used airbag on ebay and hooked it up and then reset with my Peake tool. Light stayed off for one whole day.
The next day I was in there again due to a crap fitting regulator and the plug seemed really loose. Like falling out of the airbag loose.
I found the wiring harness part number but dont want to replace unnecessary parts. Plus it looks to be a real job changing the harness out. The plug that came on the used airbag (he cut the connector off and sent it with airbag) is different than mine completely. The guy I bought the airbag from said it would match up with my car but now I wonder. Is there a way of telling what airbag is for what car? I have the part number for my airbag but I looked and sure dont see it written on it anywhere like most bmw parts do. Here is what my airbag connector looks like.


__________________



1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
jonwrong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2002 325i
I got my to rest with actual bmw software, which was complicated as hell.
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #35
330iZSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KC
Posts: 125
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy View Post
Let us know how it turns out!
The replacement harness solved my issue. For anyone needing a harness, ECS tuning has OEM BMW harnesses for much cheaper than any BMW dealership I found. I picked up my harness for about $80 shipped. It was very easy to replace also. If you can replace the window regulator you should have no problems replacing the harness.
330iZSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #36
CrazyOneToo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 224
My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZSP View Post
The replacement harness solved my issue. For anyone needing a harness, ECS tuning has OEM BMW harnesses for much cheaper than any BMW dealership I found. I picked up my harness for about $80 shipped. It was very easy to replace also. If you can replace the window regulator you should have no problems replacing the harness.
Isn't there a bolt holding it in place inside the door jam that has to be removed?
How do you get to that? I looked at mine and it seems sorta unreachable by normal tools.
__________________



1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
330iZSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KC
Posts: 125
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Isn't there a bolt holding it in place inside the door jam that has to be removed?
How do you get to that? I looked at mine and it seems sorta unreachable by normal tools.
I used a deep socket to get that one out. To make it a little easier to get at I pulled the pin for the door which allowed me to open it just a little bit more. I'll be replacing my harness yet again because ECS sent me the driver side harness instead of the pass side harness. Now my mirrors don't work on the pass side because the extra plug from the driver harness is for the mirror switch. I didn't realize this until after I had already installed it though. Maybe I'll do a quick DIY on how to replace the harness for the doors. It really only took me about 2hrs because I was routing and re-routing all of the wires to make sure everything was in the proper place.
330iZSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #38
CrazyOneToo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 224
My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZSP View Post
I used a deep socket to get that one out. To make it a little easier to get at I pulled the pin for the door which allowed me to open it just a little bit more. I'll be replacing my harness yet again because ECS sent me the driver side harness instead of the pass side harness. Now my mirrors don't work on the pass side because the extra plug from the driver harness is for the mirror switch. I didn't realize this until after I had already installed it though. Maybe I'll do a quick DIY on how to replace the harness for the doors. It really only took me about 2hrs because I was routing and re-routing all of the wires to make sure everything was in the proper place.
Yeah I've been there. ECS has had some issues lately.
I wont buy from them anymore unless its a part I cant get anywhere else.
I'd like to see that diy if you do one. Would help alot. Thanks
__________________



1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/


Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 12-19-2012 at 02:00 AM.
CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use