E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
budysr

My Ride: 330ci
I had this exact problem shortly after I bought my 2003 330ci and it turned out to be the MAF that was causing the 3 lights. Previous owner had replaced the MAF and used an aftermarket part. Replaced with a new OEM MAF and also had vac. leaks repaired. Problem solved
budysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #22
sick204

My Ride: BMW 323i 2000
im having a similar issue with mine now .. but its the eml tc and check engine .. but when i shut it off and restart it it goes all off except the check engine it takes a lil longer to go away but it eventually leaves.. this is the second time its happen n the first time it was cuz i had a leakage in my radiator and needed to change my rack and pinion but now i have no clue why its doing it again after long months of not doing so. so hope you find an answer!
sick204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
after I changed the intake lower boot it never happened to me again.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
DrkSide_RbL

My Ride: 99' 328i Sport Sedan
Send a message via AIM to DrkSide_RbL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
Jesus all this guessing...

EML light comes on when the DME cant control the engine propery, you said your intakr boot was broken so my thoughts are that your TB is seized(a motor tries to move it , if it cant then the wire will move it and you will have an EML light)

As the throttle is part of the xSC system that light (and brake light) will come on aswell.

That the light isnt permanent is usually a sign of this happening.

This would be the best answer out of everyone who replied on here. EML is usually related to the throttle body. I would try these steps:

-Clean throttle body flaps inside and out with throttle body cleaner. Removing it is best way to clean it.
-Clean Idle Control Valve (IDC)
-Make sure there are no rips in boots. If so replace.
-Last option is to change Throttle body or MAF if the problem is still not solved. The potentiometers imbedded in the TB is most likely not working properly.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #25
SeeRudy

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Abs sensor

It's the abs sensor on all four tires. Clean it with a little parts cleaner and it should do the trick.
SeeRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
ShawshankNG

My Ride: 05 E46 330Ci
This happened to my car today. Scary.
Hope it doesnt happen again soon.
First I noticed was the DTC light staying longer than normal acter turning and accelerating hard.
Does that mean I'm looking at a throttle body/DTC module change soon?
ShawshankNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 AM   #27
Jeffrockr

My Ride: Bmw 325i 2004 m54 ma
Some possible causes

Hi! I have been stuck with this trouble, currently going on deep on searching for fixes so I would like to kind of bring this thread back to life for feedbacks if you have the trouble or have found a fix. As for now i will explain my situation, possible fixes i am going to go throu step by step, by elimination and what I have read, links I have done.

So here how it hapened to me. The abs and traction control lights first started to come on after I had my tires changed. It was intermittent so I did not bother much. As this problem appeared (which I did not care about as I always turn these assist off ) the eml, limp mode , idle bouncing and no throttle response issue also appeared, which makes me think its either linked or a veryyy strange coincidence as it had never hapened before.

I have read that the throttle is linked with the same system that the abs and that one being broken could lead to another. A bad ground could create a voltage drop and could be the cause. I have realized this weekend that one of my abs speed sensor have been taped by previous owner -_- . . . . So the part is on the way.

I cant say if its the abs speedsensor yet or if the whole abs moduled is in fault yet, but there seems to be an obvious link there!

The car revs great when on neutral , so it does when the wheels move more slipery surfaces without ever getting the limp mode, but as soon as im pressing gas too much when moving on dry road, the bug occurs.. Than again it makes me feel like the abs speed sensor could be messing it up.

I read that the oil level sensor could also create this bad ground and its a quite easy fix. Before fixing, could just unplug it and test if it still occurs (generaly people will have the oil level light coming on some times when their problem is coming from the sensor, but its also worth trying.

Also, as i stated above, the battery itself, could be the problem as weird as it may sound. Could check if the voltage does get a drop when the car goes to limp mode.

I have also seen some people talking about reseting the throttle adaptation. I think it could be worth the try. Especially if you get code p1632

Other than that it could be one of the tps. Front sensors , pedal sensor or the engine expensive one from what some have reported or even a stuck throttle itself.

The problem had gone really bad in the past, had a cracked intake boot. Replaced id , got the issue back to what it was.

Recently changed fuel filter, did not solve. Matter of fact it got worse but the small vacuum hose that go from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake boot F plug seem to be tired. So I got a lot to do, will fix my taped speed sensor , check for the oil level sensor, test battery voltage possible drop, reset throttle adaptation than will feedback.
Jeffrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #28
ShawshankNG

My Ride: 05 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrockr View Post
Hi! I have been stuck with this trouble, currently going on deep on searching for fixes so I would like to kind of bring this thread back to life for feedbacks if you have the trouble or have found a fix. As for now i will explain my situation, possible fixes i am going to go throu step by step, by elimination and what I have read, links I have done.

So here how it hapened to me. The abs and traction control lights first started to come on after I had my tires changed. It was intermittent so I did not bother much. As this problem appeared (which I did not care about as I always turn these assist off ) the eml, limp mode , idle bouncing and no throttle response issue also appeared, which makes me think its either linked or a veryyy strange coincidence as it had never hapened before.

I have read that the throttle is linked with the same system that the abs and that one being broken could lead to another. A bad ground could create a voltage drop and could be the cause. I have realized this weekend that one of my abs speed sensor have been taped by previous owner -_- . . . . So the part is on the way.

I cant say if its the abs speedsensor yet or if the whole abs moduled is in fault yet, but there seems to be an obvious link there!

The car revs great when on neutral , so it does when the wheels move more slipery surfaces without ever getting the limp mode, but as soon as im pressing gas too much when moving on dry road, the bug occurs.. Than again it makes me feel like the abs speed sensor could be messing it up.

I read that the oil level sensor could also create this bad ground and its a quite easy fix. Before fixing, could just unplug it and test if it still occurs (generaly people will have the oil level light coming on some times when their problem is coming from the sensor, but its also worth trying.

Also, as i stated above, the battery itself, could be the problem as weird as it may sound. Could check if the voltage does get a drop when the car goes to limp mode.

I have also seen some people talking about reseting the throttle adaptation. I think it could be worth the try. Especially if you get code p1632

Other than that it could be one of the tps. Front sensors , pedal sensor or the engine expensive one from what some have reported or even a stuck throttle itself.

The problem had gone really bad in the past, had a cracked intake boot. Replaced id , got the issue back to what it was.

Recently changed fuel filter, did not solve. Matter of fact it got worse but the small vacuum hose that go from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake boot F plug seem to be tired. So I got a lot to do, will fix my taped speed sensor , check for the oil level sensor, test battery voltage possible drop, reset throttle adaptation than will feedback.
Feedback would be greatly appreciated over here!
ShawshankNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
Jeffrockr

My Ride: Bmw 325i 2004 m54 ma
So today tried to have the car code as it got worse ever since the fuel filter was changed it was nothing challenging there. Found dry road floored the pedal , got limp mode appear few times that got a check engine. I got a p16a7 code .. searched a bit and found very useful infos.. I had cleaned the maf the same day we changed the fuel filter and than realised it had gotten worse, thinking it could be linked with the fuel filter repair. Had totally forgotten the maf cleaning in the equation..

My friends got a car same as mine, no more speed sensors of any kind so im starting to doubt, but still will confirm as soon as I get them. so today I decided to switch the maf and try his, deleted the p16a7 code which was the only one, did the reset throttle adaptation again as i was not sure i had done it properly the first time.

My ltft came from about 16-20 to 0 - 4 . So that is now clear that my maf was dying, and that I probably made it worse when trying to clean.

I could not test it on any dry surface as the streets covered with snow but i floored it on the most dry surfaces i have found. Even floored it in 3rd gear at low rpm to make it have to work hard and it did not stall. I will test it on dry , it does not garantee the eml safe mode is fixed yet but there is a hugeeee improvment on the ltft values and i felt it was responding better. So having your maf cleaned does not guarantee to have it in a perfect working order, just to mention not to take this for granted as I did.

It may not be it but until I find out look at this too..in my researches I have found a mecanic that have encountered the problem and his thread does actually make lot of sens and is worth giving a try.

http://www.baltimore-bimmer.com/a-ve...16a7-e46-2004/

I will feedback when tested on dry , will check if it bugs if codes come back , if there are will test my ltft once theyre back.

UPDATE the car is fixed. Tested on dry road, floored the s out of it 1 2 3 going uphill and its back to lifeeee. To me the p16a7 was the maf, could only be the maf. Cleaning it might not solve your issue.
Try to find someone who owns one if you can and test ot out. If getting the code and issue after, try the o2 sensor unplugging test from the link above.

I was also getting a lean p0174 code and my ltft were high around 16-19 They are now around 3 which is the normal. P0174 suggest possible issues such as air leaks or a lack of gaz pressure, dying gas pump, faulty injectors or fuel filter... so I also changed the fuel filter as it was cheap and probably due anyway! So the only thing is that Im not sure if this was the maf only that solved the limp mode eml issue or if the fuel filter as a part to play in it. I would tend to think that it was only maf, but my buddy thinks it could be the fuel filter .The maf was faulty for sure from the p16a7 code.

But all I can say for sure, it was not the abs speed sensors or oil level sensor causing a bad ground and a voltage loss. It still could be the issue , so if you want to test, access the secret dashboard menu and check your voltage while you drive and especially when the safe mode problem occurs. That will show you wether or not you have a bad ground causing it.

I doubt the following was the real solutions but I also put a gaz cleaner to clean injectors and lines. I also did a throttle adaptation reset.

For the rest , if no p16a7 code, check your vacuum leaks. I had the problem badly when I had a cracked intake boot. Check the fuel pressure regulator hose thats on the fuel filter . The 2 ends are in rubber and can get falling apart. Many people forget this leak, it was not my problem but worth looking into it.

Hope it can help some people with this! Message if you have any questions

Last edited by Jeffrockr; 12-07-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Jeffrockr is offline   Reply With Quote