E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
lylo

My Ride: 135i bmw
opinions of smg drivers

hi all my first post here.driving an 09 135i atm. but just paid dep on a 2002 m3 smg. having read about the smg not being as smooth when in traffic i was wondering what mode others use full auto or use paddles / stick. i guess i,ll find out for myself when i pick it up on 13th. by the way i love my 135 & will keep it at this stage. look forward to some feedback.
lylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
SMG isn't as smooth as driving a manual and can sometimes be a bit jerky if you go into a car park slowly / come up to a stop sign in second then need to drive off just as the car decides it needs 1st gear and puts the clutch in. I avoid this most of the time by hitting the - paddle / pushing the lever forward.

I've driven my car in auto mode for the best part of 2 minutes, hated it and have been driving it in manual mode ever since. It's much better. You can also get extended aluminium paddles off eBay for about $60 which make using the paddles a whole lot better.

I reckon SMG is pretty good in traffic in manual mode, obviously can't comment about auto mode. You get spoilt a bit not having to do the clutch work yourself when it's super boring in traffic.

As a tip lift off ever so slightly when changing gears. I mean the tiniest bit, still have a bit of throttle. This makes the shifts really smooth. I think S4 is the best shift mode personally.

Apart from that, enjoy the new car and get it to the track as soon as you can. It will make you appreciate the car much more, especially coming from what I assume is a slightly modified 135.

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
M3 CS

My Ride: Vienta Grande
wait, you put a deposit on a car you have not driven yet?

My SMG is smooth - auto or manual mode. It helps if you can drive a manual car properly.

Takes some practise but eventually you get used to it. Having said that, I do drive mine with extra special care.

I find the later models have smoother shifting than the earlier models.

M3 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
^ this can be because of newer software, newer clutch and adaptations/programing may be set correctly.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
^ hmm yeah, surprised the OP put a deposit without driving it!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
I use my auto mode a lot in traffic because I'm lazy haha but its pretty good for what it is. I usually use A4 or S4 whenever I'm driving so shifts are slightly quicker and not as slow.

I hate S1-2 as the shifts are so slow I feel as if cars behind me might rear end me. But I use manual mode majority of the time and its great I don't mind it does shake a little but you get used to it. But when you kill a Holden SS because the bogan driving it thinks his car is the best on the street the SMG doesn't matter much haha
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Chewy

I could be wrong but I think he has driven it. He just doesn't have enough experience to know how the smg works in traffic.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Ah ok well basically it works as any manual would just not as smooth. That's probably the easiest explanation lol.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
AussieM3

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3 SMG Coup
once you learn to drive an smg is can be just as smooth as a manual. I would be very surprised if you regret getting it. I really enjoy mine.
Only the other day I thought I might get a new car but I still love driving what I have and mine has done 130,000 klms now and still very tight car no rattles ect,
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has owned a well maintained M3 SMG to say a bad word about them.

Just make sure all the maintenance has been done as it can be expensive to to play catch up on brakes, discs and having the valves shimmed.
Good luck with your purchase
Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
LSM3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieM3 View Post
once you learn to drive an smg is can be just as smooth as a manual. I would be very surprised if you regret getting it. I really enjoy mine.
Only the other day I thought I might get a new car but I still love driving what I have and mine has done 130,000 klms now and still very tight car no rattles ect,
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has owned a well maintained M3 SMG to say a bad word about them.

Just make sure all the maintenance has been done as it can be expensive to to play catch up on brakes, discs and having the valves shimmed.
Good luck with your purchase
I agree. I was an SMG hater, then i got one and learnt how to drive it and i love it - i don't think i'll own another manual if there is a DCT option available in the car i am looking at.

The only time SMG is balls is when you are trying to do a quick 3 point turn. You have to be patient whilst going from reverse to 1st etc.

2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
The only thing with SMG that I find jerking is coming to an almost complete stop and it decides to change down to 1st (as mentioned above). If you put your foot down to go when the clutch is disengaged then the SMG engages the clutch with your foot down like a mini clutch dump. Very easy to get used to and you know it's coming since it always does it.

Auto mode doesn't really work. If I want auto mode I want the faster shifts but if you put it in D5 (fastest auto mode) for example it won't change past 3rd gear at 60km/h which is painful. The lower D modes are just too slow and change up much too fast. Also it does things like change from 1st to 2nd half way through turning (e.g. at a T intersection turning on to the main road). So half way into the intersection you free wheel whilst it's changing gear. It's just doing it at the wrong time.

Aside from a few things like that I find SMG quite smooth and easy to drive. Those who say otherwise haven't ever lived with an SMG. Perhaps they've driven one once before and made their mind up based on that. In slow traffic, parking, reverse etc I find it just as easy to drive as an auto.

Basically it comes down to this:
1) You drive a torque converter auto like an auto.
2) You drive a conventional clutch manual like a manual
3) You drive an SMG like an SMG.

Last edited by Shonky; 10-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
The only thing with SMG that I find jerking is coming to an almost complete stop and it decides to change down to 1st (as mentioned above). If you put your foot down to go when the clutch is disengaged then the SMG engages the clutch with your foot down like a mini clutch dump. Very easy to get used to and you know it's coming since it always does it.

Auto mode doesn't really work. If I want auto mode I want the faster shifts but if you put it in D5 (fastest auto mode) for example it won't change past 3rd gear at 60km/h which is painful. The lower D modes are just too slow and change up much too fast. Also it does things like change from 1st to 2nd half way through turning (e.g. at a T intersection turning on to the main road). So half way into the intersection you free wheel whilst it's changing gear. It's just doing it at the wrong time.

Aside from a few things like that I find SMG quite smooth and easy to drive. Those who say otherwise haven't ever lived with an SMG. Perhaps they've driven one once before and made their mind up based on that. In slow traffic, parking, reverse etc I find it just as easy to drive as an auto.

Basically it comes down to this:
1) You drive a torque converter auto like an auto.
2) You drive a conventional clutch manual like a manual
3) You drive an SMG like an SMG.
Spot on. I have a few small dislikes with SMG..

I don't feel comfortable letting other people drive my car if they don't have an understanding of the gearbox. I don't ever think I'll let my parents drive my car because they think it's a normal auto and would drive it accordingly then most likely get frustrated with it.

It's also annoying when it's a bit jerky in traffic and you have a passenger who doesn't understand the gearbox and thinks it's your driving. Worst is when you're on a hill and come to a brief stop and don't wait long enough for it to grab 1st and get the mini clutch dump.

Mine also seems to be a bit jerky in traffic when it decides to shift to 2nd when braking. I find I almost have to lift off the brake pedal slightly when it disengages the clutch into 2nd gear.

Apart from that I love it

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
I really want to give an SMG M3 a go. Ive only driven a couple of manual M3.

Do any of you guys left foot brake it and give it some throttle on the downshifts.?. i think thats what id do to make it a smooth shift ..

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 10-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post

Do any of you guys left foot brake it and give it some throttle on the downshifts.?. i think thats what id do to make it a smooth shift ..
Depending on the revs the gearbox will rev match (not blip) so you get a smooth downshift. This is generally only when you're pushing hard, not in traffic.

You can blip the throttle by giving the accelerator a stab on downshifts. I always do this in tunnels / any areas where the sound will echo.

Left foot braking would only really come in handy if you want to blip whilst braking. I've considered trying to give it a go but I think I'll be way to uncoordinated for it.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
It still tries to rev match even when going lightly. Blip/rev match - basically the same really.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post

I'll let you drive mine, although there's an issue on take off with my car, but once you get going it's fine.

Last edited by Chewy; 10-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Spot on. I have a few small dislikes with SMG..

I don't feel comfortable letting other people drive my car if they don't have an understanding of the gearbox. I don't ever think I'll let my parents drive my car because they think it's a normal auto and would drive it accordingly then most likely get frustrated with it.

It's also annoying when it's a bit jerky in traffic and you have a passenger who doesn't understand the gearbox and thinks it's your driving. Worst is when you're on a hill and come to a brief stop and don't wait long enough for it to grab 1st and get the mini clutch dump.

Mine also seems to be a bit jerky in traffic when it decides to shift to 2nd when braking. I find I almost have to lift off the brake pedal slightly when it disengages the clutch into 2nd gear.

Apart from that I love it
It shouldn't really be jerky at all. Maybe try a reset and reset adaptations. Otherwise there's something wrong.

Last edited by Chewy; 10-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Depending on the revs the gearbox will rev match (not blip) so you get a smooth downshift. This is generally only when you're pushing hard, not in traffic.

You can blip the throttle by giving the accelerator a stab on downshifts. I always do this in tunnels / any areas where the sound will echo.

Left foot braking would only really come in handy if you want to blip whilst braking. I've considered trying to give it a go but I think I'll be way to uncoordinated for it.
Im trying to get used to left foot braking.. think it will be a good skill to have, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I'll let you drive mine, although there's an issue on take of with my car, but once you get going it's fine.

Ill take u up on that at the SAM

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 10-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
It shouldn't really be jerky at all. Maybe try a reset and reset adaptations. Otherwise there's something wrong.
When I say jerky it's not huge. The jerks I'm referring to is when you're at relatively low speeds and the car shifts down to 2nd, sometimes when the clutch is disengaged you get the natural gear braking effect which when coupled with normal braking can result in a quick small jerk. As if you press the brake pedal in a bit more for a split second.

The other time is when the car is engaging 1st from 2nd on a hill and you press the accelerator before the car has grabbed 1st so you're basically free revving in neutral for a split second. It get's first gear then lets the clutch out resulting in a mini clutch dump. I find it's worse when I'm on a hill. It's more a patience thing though, you just need to give the car that extra split second to grab 1st then you're fine.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
davide330

My Ride: 10 ISF
Don't forget the bucking bronco it can become if in 1st/2nd and going around a bumpy intersection. Your hit the bump and your foot lifts off and it goes into stop stall mode which then makes you jerk again, rinse and repeat and it can get quite embarrassing if you don't get it under control.

Or if you try and drive while the car is cold, always had to let mine go two lights out on the warm up dial before trying to drive off, I always would forget at work when going home. The driveway was a steep ramp with speed humps and it just gets a mind of it's own as you slow and hit the hump and it starts bucking, usually a quick stab of the accelerator would fix it but with the speed humps it wasn't an option :-)

Sig by Jase3d at www.jase3d.com
davide330 is offline   Reply With Quote