E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 227 votes, 4.72 average.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #12741
325CiMaN

My Ride: 01 BMW 325ci 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
Dont foget to use lube. Its kinda rough in there. There should only be brown half way up your dipstick just jokes
Haha thanks i won't forget. My arms currently look like i got in a fight with a cat and lost miserably.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
325CiMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #12742
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Did mechanic bounce your car when he did alignment? Prob not but it helps sometimes then you can tell if something else is wrong in system? It might keep going back into same place though i guess , then it wouldnt matter but yeah it does kinda sound like rtab is the area
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #12743
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325CiMaN View Post
Right now i an currently balls deep in my engine bay replacing O2 sensors, but am having issues with the wiring,

O2 sensors are probably one of the easiest things to do on an e46. Perhaps easier than your standard oil service. What issues are you encountering?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #12744
325CiMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
O2 sensors are probably one of the easiest things to do on an e46. Perhaps easier than your standard oil service. What issues are you encountering?
The wiring is messed up, when i swapped the motor i made sure the o2's where in the right spot, but i have a random misfire while cruising due to engine ruining too rich, and o2 sensors not working properly, while inspecting wiring with my new snap on Digital multi meter i noticed that a few wires were shorted together. So now i am repairing the wire harness and am having issues with rerouting the harness to get to the spot thats shorted out

Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #12745
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Quote:
Did mechanic bounce your car when he did alignment? Prob not but it helps sometimes then you can tell if something else is wrong in system? It might keep going back into same place though i guess , then it wouldnt matter but yeah it does kinda sound like rtab is the area
I don't know if he bounced the car but I'll be sure to tell him to do that next time.

Interior Pioneer avic z2--brushed aluminum vinyled trim--wind deflecter
Exterior Csl front bumper--Gold CSL reps--Macht Schnell spacers 18mmf/10mmr--Ebay trunk spoiler
Performance Macht Schnell intake elbow--K&N drop in--Manzo Headers (still in box lol)-- TCKline/Ground Control Coilovers
Lighting OEM LED taillight retrofit w/ amber vinyl--Chris Brown mod--3500k H7's--6000k morimoto D2s's--6000k ccfl angel eyes--LED's everywhere
KaliVertBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #12746
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
The wiring is messed up, when i swapped the motor i made sure the o2's where in the right spot, but i have a random misfire while cruising due to engine ruining too rich, and o2 sensors not working properly, while inspecting wiring with my new snap on Digital multi meter i noticed that a few wires were shorted together. So now i am repairing the wire harness and am having issues with rerouting the harness to get to the spot thats shorted out

Damn I did not know you did a swap. Wiring and electrical issues are a pain in the ass. Hope you get it sorted out soon!

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #12747
325CiMaN

Ya 3.0l swap, it was pretty smooth process, but now little gremlins are starting to show there faces. Thank god my minor for college is electrical engineering! They are a pain but a challenge so it makes it fun.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #12748
Beamer Creamer

Ya thats how i feel about electrical. Is that a sniffer or what is special with the snap on? Or do you need engineering degree to knownthings to use it for? Also what is the scientific explanation for why you can get really low ohms test on positive wires sometimes? I mean when testing with no power in wires, ground shows near 0 and pos. wire is under 100 ohms? Just as example cuz i cant remember what ohms were but i thot way lower than 100. System worked fine but is that measuring through battery? I duno

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-06-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #12749
jpbutler1983

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Thought I had a washer fluid reservoir filter leak.... As it turns out the rubber gasket that attaches to the stem which inserts into the filter was just in a bunch. Straightened it up, re-attached, added fluid and voila! I mean the pump is still not working, But I got rid of the "washer fluid level low light"...

At 165450 miles, I have no alarms on my dash! Thank you lord!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #12750
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
I don't know if he bounced the car but I'll be sure to tell him to do that next time.
Ya just get him to bounce front and rear after alignment then look at numbers after again of course. Can prob bounce harder without wreckin paint if push underhood and inside of trunk near trays
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #12751
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1983 View Post
Thought I had a washer fluid reservoir filter leak.... As it turns out the rubber gasket that attaches to the stem which inserts into the filter was just in a bunch. Straightened it up, re-attached, added fluid and voila! I mean the pump is still not working, But I got rid of the "washer fluid level low light"...

Pump is only $18. Replaced mine 2 weeks ago when it leaked all of my fluid onto the ground.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #12752
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1983 View Post

Is washer not seperate fuse from wipers? Coulda pulled? But still have leak i guess, but no light. How much is pump $30? Nevermind, youre prob workin on it. Good to see youre still runnin with 165k. No alarms but how is it otherwise?

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #12753
325CiMaN

Quote:
Ya thats how i feel about electrical. Is that a sniffer or what is special with the snap on? Or do you need engineering degree to knownthings to use it for? Also what is the scientific explanation for why you can get really low ohms test on positive wires sometimes?
A digital multi meter aka dmm is a tool to test volts, ohms (resistance), and amps. The snap on one i bought is specifically made for automotive world, it can be hooked up to a lap top and it has a ociloscope, aka oscope. Which helps out diagnosing sensors, intermittent issues, it gives you the wave form of the sensor/actuator and you can watch wave form and compare to a known good sensor, or a known good wave form, and determine what is wrong. On my moms m3 i used it diagnose a intermittent missfire, i checked the coils, i noticed when the coil reaches a temperature of 230 or higher it misses until it cools back down below 230. It's an amazing tool i think everyone should have one and learn how to use it.

Are you testing for ohms with power applied or not? Cause with it applied it it isn't accurate, and a good wire, doesn't Matter if it's positive or negative or signal, should have low ohms like .001-.002ohms.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #12754
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
A digital multi meter aka dmm is a tool to test volts, ohms (resistance), and amps. The snap on one i bought is specifically made for automotive world, it can be hooked up to a lap top and it has a ociloscope, aka oscope. Which helps out diagnosing sensors, intermittent issues, it gives you the wave form of the sensor/actuator and you can watch wave form and compare to a known good sensor, or a known good wave form, and determine what is wrong. On my moms m3 i used it diagnose a intermittent missfire, i checked the coils, i noticed when the coil reaches a temperature of 230 or higher it misses until it cools back down below 230. It's an amazing tool i think everyone should have one and learn how to use it.

Are you testing for ohms with power applied or not? Cause with it applied it it isn't accurate, and a good wire, doesn't Matter if it's positive or negative or signal, should have low ohms like .001-.002ohms.

The ground for the circuit was disconnected so positive would have just been run from battery pos. but no flow. I def need to learn more but as all these things go it is surprising what people know and can not figure out easy shtuff. Ya oscope and the rest sounds good. I always just looked at prices of $3000 and got turned off and didnt look into anymore. How much was yours?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #12755
325CiMaN

I paid a reasonable 377 for mine brand new, and also Even tho the negative is disconnected and there is no flow threw the positive, the positive electrons are still going crazy in that wire.
I learned electrical from my father add he it's a electrical engineer for Intel and designed the pentium processors and is lead on all the new stuff he isn't allowed to talk about, lol he has taught me everything he knows, which is a God awful amount, the surprising thing, I'm only 20yrsld

Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #12756
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349558487270.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	472849  

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #12757
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
I paid a reasonable 377 for mine brand new, and also Even tho the negative is disconnected and there is no flow threw the positive, the positive electrons are still going crazy in that wire.
I learned electrical from my father add he it's a electrical engineer for Intel and designed the pentium processors and is lead on all the new stuff he isn't allowed to talk about, lol he has taught me everything he knows, which is a God awful amount, the surprising thing, I'm only 20yrsld

Ok. Thanks. I kinda figured, so i should really have battery ground disconnected for testing any unknown wires for ohms.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #12758
325CiMaN

Quote:
Ok. Thanks. I kinda figured, so i should really have battery ground disconnected for testing any unknown wires for ohms.
Correct, if you have the bently manual there is a HUGE wiring schematic section. It has helped me out a million times.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #12759
I8UR911

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Installed new slotted rotors and Hawk HP plus pads. Bedded in and ready for the track next weekend!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
I8UR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #12760
Beamer Creamer

Also i had issue after i put amp wiring behind carpet, i had to use same colored 4 guage wires for ground and one for positive, i was testing with test light and it lit on both wires. It shouldnt matter that both wires were run through loom together or does magnetic field mix somehow. Amp still worked fine so i had no idea. I spent alot of hours running all wires perfectly so i cant think of anything but them running too close to each other but they are close at the amp hookup also, or does that not matter because the magnetic field isnt as strong as over a 4 foot stretch?