E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
pachecoj

My Ride: '05 325i
Shox.com poor customer service (Bilstein was excellent)

Hi All,

Before I rant I want to point out that everything turned out fine, so keep that in mind if you are planning ot order from Shox.com. And also, Bilstein's customer support was excellent.

I ordered a set of Bilstein HD's all around. I wanted to order from Pelican Parts, but they were $80 more and wouldn't budge after calling them. So I ordered from Shox.com.

The spring seat on one of the struts was off the strut, while the other one was fixed on there. I had never encountered this and wasn't sure if it was useable. I tried to get it back on without success. So I called up shox.com.
Keep in mind I had already taken my strut off the car before realizing this.

First I got a woman in accounting who was nice, but couldn't help. She took my info and said she would walk it over to sales and talk to the guy there and put him on the phone. A few minutes later he came on and didn't know what was going on so I had to repeat everything.

He asked if they were removeable spring seats, I said I didn't know, he said "Ok, email me a picture and I will take it from there." I took a picture, emailed him, then I called him back up like 20min later. The phone rang a bunch of times, then some guy answered on what was clearly a cell phone and was driving.

I re-explained everything to him, this guy was useless and I wonder if he was the owner. He said "Well, you must have been talking to Arthur. He didn't pick up because it came to my cellphone. I am driving right now." Ok, thanks, that's helpful. Then he basically said, "Unfortunately we don't make the shocks, Bilstein does, we just sell them."

Anyway, I hung up with him, called back, got Arthur in sales again. He says, "well I'm in the warehouse, it will take me like 10 minutes to get back to the computer. I'll call you back." Keep in mind nobody has given me any helpful information at this point.

I waited 20 minutes, before I realized he wasn't going to be any help. So I called up Bilstein North America. I waited on hold for about 5 minutes, and then got a really helpful guy on the phone. He explained that the spring seats do come off and you can beat it back on with a rubber mallet, but there is no obvious keying to indicate which direction. So he quickly emailed me a diagram showing the keying and I beat it back on.

I got the strut on the car and driving before I got a call from Arthur in sales like an hour later. He called to tell me he emailed the picture to Bilstein and would let me know what they say. Useless...

If you sell a product you should know something about it and support it. In this case it was my lack of knowledge since I'd never encountered this before. But all I needed was assurance that the seat does go back on and a little info on which way it goes.

Jason

Last edited by pachecoj; 10-06-2012 at 08:28 PM.
pachecoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Two things... Pelican would have answered your question right away ;) I'm not sure that's worth $80; but for my money, I've been very happy with pelican.

Also, it sounds like shox.com, although uninformed, did try to get information for you - it's just that they didn't do it on a timeline appropriate to having the car apart. It's god to hear that Bilstein supports their products (albeit not surprising :D ).

Luke

Last edited by lmr2wil; 10-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
lmr2wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well shox.com is going to have a hard time knowing exact specs to each and every brand of shock(20+ beside Bilstein) they sell for each and every make and model of car(50+ besides BMW).
Pelican is just BMW and Porsche if I recall. Sounds like shox.com made a good effort to support. if you want to have a bigger gripe it would be that Bilstein didn't package better or that the perch coming off is not listed in their instructions.
$80 savings at shox.com :thumbsup:

not inspecting parts prior to install :thumbdwn:

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 10-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex323ci View Post
well shox.com is going to have a hard time knowing exact specs to each and every brand of shock(many beside bilstein) they sell for each and every make and model of car(about every make besides bmw).
Pelican is just bmw and porsche if i recall. Sounds like shox.com made a good effort to support. If you want to have a bigger gripe it would be that bilstein didn't package better or that the perch coming off is not listed in their instructions.
$80 savings at shox.com :thumbsup:

Not inspecting parts prior to install :thumbdwn:
+1
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
pachecoj

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
well shox.com is going to have a hard time knowing exact specs to each and every brand of shock(20+ beside Bilstein) they sell for each and every make and model of car(50+ besides BMW).
Pelican is just BMW and Porsche if I recall.
Pelican sells tons of products, shox.com sells shocks, that's it. A competent salesman would have been able to tell me that the perch was probably removeable and can be beat on with a rubber mallet. I got nothing but "send me a picture."

Also, frankly being told "unfortunately we don't make the shocks, we just sell them" does not bode well for customer service.

Quote:
not inspecting parts prior to install :thumbdwn:
I can't defend myself for that one :) Dope slap.

For the record, I am a pretty loyal customer to Pelican and have been VERY happy with them. I just couldn't justify $80 difference.

Jason

Last edited by pachecoj; 10-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
pachecoj is offline   Reply With Quote