E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
6 CD changer installation help

I did a search in this section but didn't run across any DIY on adding the 6 Cd changer in the trunk. Can anyone give me some help on this. I see the plastic 'holder' on the left drivers side. Can I assume that this needs to be replaced with one that will hold the changer? Are the CD prewires located in this area?

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

My Ride: E39
If your car is prewired for a cd-changer you will need to buy a new trunk liner for the left rear. You'll also need to purchase a new storage bin since the size of the compartment does change.

The changer btw goes in the drivers side rear. You'll see the harness wrapped in a cloth type cover with velcro.

You'll need to buy at a dealership and while you're there they will tell you what is needed for the install. If you cant find the parts, PM me.

Good luck!
94583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94583 View Post
If your car is prewired for a CD-changer you will need to buy a new trunk liner for the left rear. You'll also need to purchase a new storage bin since the size of the compartment does change.

The changer btw goes in the drivers side rear. You'll see the harness wrapped in a cloth type cover with velcro.

You'll need to buy at a dealership and while you're there they will tell you what is needed for the install. If you cant find the parts, PM me.

Good luck!
Do you have any pictures of the unit installed? or of the side liner? I found the wires/connectors & see that it would need a holder bracket.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
bimmernut3

FYI, I installed the 6 CD changer today & thought I'd post a pic & what you need. I found the prewire connectors as mentioned above. All you need to do is pull out the LH light & then the LH side truck carpet. Plug the conns. into the changer & then take the player & mount in to bracket #65128378545 (about $15) with (4) M4X6 screws, then mount the bracket assy to holes provided with screws & speed nuts. 5x. The player will fit perfectly in the existing carpet hole that the storage box was in. Pretty simple. Here's a picture after installed

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
kmalik20

My Ride: Bmw 325i
1999 320i Changer in 2004 325i

Maybe someone can give me the correct answer, I was given a cd changer from a 1999 320i, will this be able to be installed in a 2004 325i. There is no previous cd changer in there, so will it be difficult to install in the trunk and will i need any special wires?
kmalik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalik20 View Post
Maybe someone can give me the correct answer, I was given a cd changer from a 1999 320i, will this be able to be installed in a 2004 325i. There is no previous cd changer in there, so will it be difficult to install in the trunk and will i need any special wires?
kmilik20...I did a search on penskeparts.com & it shows updated P/N 65126908950 for the CD player for an 01/00 320i. (this is for USA, not sure about Canada) When I search what cars this P/N fits, it shows your '04 325i. The best test is to just hook it up. Your car should be prewired for the CD player in the drivers side of the trunk behind the side trim. (2 plugs) Plug it in & see. If it does work, you will need to get the CD mounting bracket(s) for your car. Let me know how it works out.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
kmalik20

My Ride: Bmw 325i
Great, I will try to get in the trunk and set it up. Hopefully it works.
Thanks, will let you know how it goes
kmalik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I had the same questions two years ago when I installed my unit for the first time. I pulled back the liner, and the wires were there---so the answer I suspect is if it is pre-wired, it is a piece of cake.
After careful consideration I decided not to buy the new BMW liner made to hold the unit for two reasons---cost, and space. I did not want to lose all that trunk space that is taken by the special line. Simple solution. I drilled 2 holes through the liner at the appropriate points, inserted a "eye hook" in each, attached a bungy cord between the hooks that hold the unit to the side wall with a cloth acting as a cushion between the unit and the liner. Works perfectly.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote