E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
bayjatt101

My Ride: 330i zhp
10w-30 in a 330i

So I went to go buy oil and got 10w-30 instead of 5w-30. Since the winters coming up thought of getting thicker oil. Is it bad to use it in a 330?
bayjatt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Take it back, get a BMW LL-01 oil, and all will be ok.

End thread.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Don't you go to a thinner oil in winter anyway? You would be going backwards.
Anyway, I agree with what he ^ said.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
bayjatt101

My Ride: 330i zhp
Where can you get that from?
bayjatt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
MJLavelle

Hey, NOVABimmer, AKA Ask an Insurance Adjuster Anything, have you ever really screwed anyone just because they just pissed you off? Also, have you ever done the reverse, like cut a sweet deal for a hot chick/guy (not sure which one rings your bell)?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayjatt101 View Post
Where can you get that from?
Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0w-40 is the most common one, and you can find it at almost any Autozone, PepBoys, etc. make sure the label reads exactly what I wrote though - European Car Formula, 0w-40.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 10-07-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Don't you go to a thinner oil in winter anyway? You would be going backwards.
Anyway, I agree with what he ^ said.
he's right.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
So I went to go buy oil and got 10w-30 instead of 5w-30. Since the winters coming up thought of getting thicker oil. Is it bad to use it in a 330?
Why is it so hard to get oil that meets spec for some people? Look for LL01 on the label, everything else is irrelevant.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Why is it so hard to get oil that meets spec for some people? Look for LL01 on the label, everything else is irrelevant.
Let's face it, it is not common knowledge to people who do not use the forum that the e46 requires a specific spec oil, and even if they did read the owners manual, it is not entirely clear on the subject.
If he was a relatively new owner, or not a very active member, then he probably just did not know. On my first oil change, I used Royal Purple, and then I drained all $60 worth of it out a few days later, after reading a bit more.
I think this page from the BimmerWiki should be a sticky on the General Forum. Go to the "Oil Service" section. It lists a ton of options that meet the LL-01 spec, and lists some brands I have never heard of:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Nope--would not do that. Would not do that in the summer, and in the winter months it is the worse time.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
sprintman

Quote:
Let's face it, it is not common knowledge to people who do not use the forum that the e46 requires a specific spec oil, and even if they did read the owners manual, it is not entirely clear on the subject.
If he was a relatively new owner, or not a very active member, then he probably just did not know. On my first oil change, I used Royal Purple, and then I drained all $60 worth of it out a few days later, after reading a bit more.
I think this page from the BimmerWiki should be a sticky on the General Forum. Go to the "Oil Service" section. It lists a ton of options that meet the LL-01 spec, and lists some brands I have never heard of:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
Many cars require specific oil. Apart from the missing critical info in the U.S owners manual there is a general lack of knowledge about oil. Thinking 10W30 is thicker than 5W30 for instance when it can be thicker or thinner at operating temperature.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
I use Luiqi-Moly 5-30 Long Life... stays clean for a long while.... all their products rock!! better than LUCAS N dem other names
http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/..._eng_home.html

In cold weather your oil gets thicker thus making it harder to circulate and lube this properly... then starts gelling in places you don't need it to
i used to think thicker was better but someone mentioned to me it could put a strain on your oil pump too!

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
For winter weather, you don't want to use a thicker oil (unless you want pre-mature internal engine damage because of no oil pressure on a cold morning start-up). Use a good quality full synthetic oil of 0W40 or 5W40 such as Mobile 1 European Blend, Amsoil European Blend or Luiqi-Moly (believe formally Lubro-Moly), all well respected full synthetics.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
First, 10W-30 is the wrong weight.

Next, the e46 requires oils with "BMW LL-01" approval.

These will usually have something like "European Car Formula" on the front label. Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, and Pennzoil Ultra come to mind as available at retail in the aftermarket (although I've only seen the first 2 in stores). This stuff is not cheap, even on sale.

I soon found that buying the BMW oil from a dealer is actually less costly (although it may not be as conveneint). With 2 e46s, changing the oil in both cars drains more than a case!
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
The dealership always give me ELF 10W-40. Even though I do tell them that it's written "BMW recommends Castrol" on the oil cap, they insist that ELF oil will be just fine

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
10w-30 is acceptable if it's ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 rated. It just wouldn't be appropriate for colder climates. 0w-30 or 0w-40 would be ideal for year round use.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzedid View Post
The dealership always give me ELF 10W-40. Even though I do tell them that it's written "BMW recommends Castrol" on the oil cap, they insist that ELF oil will be just fine
No it isn't. 0/5W30/40 that meets LL01 is the correct oil. Time to find a new stealership!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Owners manual on my car said to use bmw approved oil. No mention of what that might be. Best bet is to let dealer change oil, or call and ask what they recommend. My manual said nothing about ll-01, which I guess is what we are supposed to use. For winter you what the first number to be 0 or 5
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Since winter is coming, you should have gone from a normal purchase of 10w30 to a winter purchase of 5w30, you went backwards. 5w30 is thinner when cold, 10w30 is thicker. The thin oil circulates easier in cold temps, therefore it gets to the critical points sooner. Where's Tracy, near Sacramento, right? If I am right, then you live in a climate where 10w30 or 5w30 is no big deal, if you lived in Fargo then you would probably want to know more about oil viscosity so you do not make this mistake again.

I was in a BMW parts department a few weeks ago, and looked at every bottle of oil on the shelf in the customer area of the store, not one listed itself as LL-01. The Owner's Manual says that API Grade SM or higher is good. I believe the API Grade on the shelf at Walmart these days is SR. I have never seen a bottle of oil that says it is LL-01, except I did see that spec once about a year ago at my local dealership, but on a recent trip I did not see it. There is no published spec in any User Documentation that says, LL-01. All available user documentation says API Grade SM.

You can, and should, use the best quality oil you can find, and this includes the suggestion that you use LL-01, but your motor will not turn to a heap of molten metal on the way to work someday because you bought motor oil at Walmart. It is far more likely to turn to a pile of molten metal because the viscosity is way too heavy or way too thin, or it is some old motor oil you found in the corner of Grandpa's barn that he bought in 1950. If you buy the highest API Grade, which I think is about SR or ST today, and it is the correct weight for your climate, then your car will be fine.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
You put in 7 quarts of oil right?

Your car takes 7 quarts of oil, not 5. This is a huge part of why the oil change interval is so long on your BMW.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote