E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Thumbs Up HPF's 335 N54 Turbo Manifold Sexy-ness

Updates!!!!!!

Right off the bat you will notice the twin wastegate mounts. We decided to go with this design for flawless and ease of boost control. You’ll then notice the smoother twin scroll division. This served two purposes; faster spool up and allows a plethora of turbo chargers to be used with our kit. As mentioned before, we’ll be using a dual ball bearing 6466 divided turbo with our initial kit. We will definitely be testing other turbos as we develop more stages for the kit.

The runners are also nearly equal, that is always beneficial. With the manifold now in our hands, we are just in need of closing up lose ended projects before we can fully dive right into finishing the 335i kit. As always, we’ll be updating you as progress happens. Also we do plan on selling some components separately for those that would like to choose their own turbo and tune on their own. :happyanim:

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
you develop this big beautiful thing for the 335 and we are stuck with that cast crap or steed speed for the e46 hahaha

just giving you hell, it looks amazing

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class

Last edited by Ky///m3; 10-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Wow!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Beautiful manifold...needs more S54 love :'(
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
you develop this big beautiful thing for the 335 and we are stuck with that cast crap or steed speed for the e46 hahaha

just giving you hell, it looks amazing
The sexiness of the fabrication is no joke. It's pure sex. No doubt about it. There should be a parental warning.

I am actually more serious about this comment (see quote) than the poster maybe. He brings up a point I was going to mention.
PLEASE do a tubular for the S54. It is dying for one! I had NO idea you guys could fab something so amazing in house. PLEASE, put those skills to use for the large M3 crowd. It would be a huge seller something tells me.

Kris, were you the sole fabricator on this? Incredible. Simply incredible! Some of the best welds I have ever seen on a tubular mani. What a winner!

Last edited by Bdave; 10-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
I want that in my room so I can stare at it.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Kris is a salesman...I would imagine Doc Race is behind this
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Kris is a salesman...I would imagine Doc Race is behind this
X2....I was just thinking the same thing.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Bdave

Ah, Doc Race. and HPF Kris.....I dont know all the names and titles at HPF. I really want to make a trip out there sometime. I have really close friend close by in St Helens.

I any event, I bet it is almost unanimous that we would love to see a NEW tubular for the S54.

Last edited by Bdave; 10-06-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
ikknown

My Ride: M Coupe
Check this out...

http://docrace.wordpress.com/2012/09...scroll-update/
ikknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikknown View Post
Nice find. How about his top mount for the S54? Too bad it is not really street able. No room for an air cleaner....just a screen. The blog SAYS they are trying to develop an intake charge system that "is more inventive and realistic for day to day use without the road debris through the compressor."

So we shall see. i would be happy with just a regular bottom mount tubular system. I think. The top mount twin scroll is all cutting edge and everything. But I think there is still a big market for a good standard tubular bottom mount exhaust manifold for the E46 M3.

Which do you guys think works/spools better, a normal bottom mount tubular with a QSV or a top mount with a twin scroll? Dont answer the question until you have a good look at the following link, please.

Read this for some insight:
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/tech...orks-best.html

One more thing. Check out DOC RACE's incredible twin scroll manifold for the HPF DRAG CAR! Awesome photos and one great one of DOC RACE welding:
http://docrace.wordpress.com/2012/04...6-m3-dragster/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3-dragster-2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	472770   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3-dragster-10.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	472771   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3-dragster-4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	472772  

Last edited by Bdave; 10-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
We contracted DOC Race to build our requirements into this great new design for the 335 and 135. They are local to us and have done a fantastic job for us on this and on other projects. This new manifold version has nearly equal length runners and is much easier to build. It also keeps the DME happy because the front and rear banks are kept separate. We will be getting this on the car right away and results will be coming soon.

Chris
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Can I install this mani in my m54b25 and pipe it to the exhaust I wonder if it would restrict the flow
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Hold the fawk up
HPF kits for e90/92 are how fawking much ?

80fawking grand the fawk
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
Hold the fawk up
HPF kits for e90/92 are how fawking much ?

80fawking grand the fawk
Ding dong mkoDRAMA gets his panties in a bind everytime we come out with new products. I wouldn't expect anything less from him. The nonsense that he spills isn't even worth responding to.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
How is that manifold beautiful? It looks like crap if this is something you are charging more than $200 for.
you're kind of nitpicking. i know plenty of local guys who don't have shops, just weld manifolds in their garage when they're building whatever their next project is, probably have everything wrong you listed, and still have never had problems. not to mention, they're running far more boost and hp/tq than eric's 335 is going to be (at first). friend's novice, hand welded, manifold on his 240 has a welded on addition where the TOP MOUNT flange is and still, with all the weight of the turbo, 30+psi of boost and beating the hell out of that car, he's never once in 4 years had a problem or a weld break. i think people need to face reality that men are not machines and not everything comes out perfect.

however...i do agree that for the price this manifold is probably going to be (with the HPF/BMW tax figured in), that thing should be made perfectly, as if a machine made it. and i'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
If someone did this in their garage as a personal project, I'd say that's pretty awesome. But from a company that sells $80,000 turbo kits I would expect way better than that junk...
this is a perfect example though of why HPF charges more for their products; a lot of stuff is outsourced, not a whole lot is actually made in their shop. s54 intake manifold, for example, is a beautiful piece but it's so pricey because another company makes it for them. all the motor builds for stage 2.5 and up are sent out to another company to be built and then HPF just installs them in the cars. the old exhaust manifold from Steed Speed, i thought was very nice looking, but no way i'd pay that price if a cast log manifold could produce the same results for less (which is why i'm assuming the switched to cast, even though the price of the kits didn't go down), but once again, both manifolds are made by someone else.

HPF is kind of like a clothing store, they have other people make the product to save money, then sell it in their store for more. it's a retail business. what HPF would really benefit from is investing in workers and machines that can help them do more stuff in-house, which would then in turn lower costs. imagine if John could have access to machines for getting blocks ready to be built. i'll bet he'd have the hang of stuff in no time.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
i don't know..i used to work for a gunsmith who had a whole floor of CNC lathes/mills and they are big $$$. hiring staff for g coding = big money. the sunnen equip the motor builder hpf uses is big money too.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Damn, this is a display of SERIOUS skills!
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
DOC race builds some nice stuff, not sure what all of the fuss is about.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
Bdave

Quote:
The original multi-piece HPF M3 manifold built by Steed Speed was really clever and looked cool. See, not everything I say is bad. I think you just dislike me for knowing more about the stuff you sell than you do. I'm just stating an opinion and insight about a product, which you should expect to see on a public internet forum.

I'm no salesman, but I don't think it's a good sales tactic to mock forum members when you pay to advertise here. That is also against forum rules, so play nice Chris.

The headers sold on ebay are pretty crappy, but the companies that make them still stay in business. Now imagine how good business would be if you could sell your customers the same thing but for more money!
Funny you should use the Ebay headers as an example. I think they are awesome for the money they cost. I had a set on my M3 for years with ZERO issues. Yes, the "ceramic" paint started to flake off...no big deal. Installation was OK as long as you discarded the mounting hardware and used real BMW OEM gaskets and nuts. I made 301 RWHP that mostly came from mounting the headers. (The elbow and BMC panel filter didnt hurt).
Point is, they are in business because people keep buying them based on customers good results. I would not hesitate to buy another set. I just would have them professionally Jet Hot coated. They are still a great deal with the extra money you choose to spend. Only the 90 dollar gasket kit is mandatory.
I kept the Ebay headers even with a super charger.

Doc Race is a different deal. His products cost a lot. They are sold to very discerning customers who would scream bloody murder on the forums and shut him down if he was not delivering a quality product for the money spent.
Just based on his customer profile, the typical buyer would VERY likely be a forum member who would immediately start negative threads if the guy was not delivering. Where are these threads?