E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Post What are you holding? Nov 10

Was looking to get some advice from some of you guys and see what you have for short and long term stocks.

My freebies are: CTIC, VG, and BAC.

I'm kinda worried about having so much money tied up in Quest. I got in at 2.75 and it keeps growing. Not sure if I should sell some off or not. Plus the dividend is decent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	383914
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Current Positions:

TXT
CRDN
DELL
F
GE
GOOG
LPSN
T
TGB
ZAGG
Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
Current Positions:

TXT
CRDN
DELL
F
GE
GOOG
LPSN
T
TGB
ZAGG
Just curious, are you serious? I am not questioning your judgement. Some of those just look too "typical" for a guy like you (who appears to know how to read stocks).

If you are serious, do you consider GE, Dell, F, GOOG and ZAGG to be long term (obviously)? But is there something I am not seeing about them in the next 3 years?

Why do you think a company like Ceradyne is a good stock? Are you looking for a "risk"?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
AAPL
PSLV
FCX
C
F
CKSW
ZOLT
VALE
LULU
VMW
Gold (physical)
Silver (physical)

The above are my current positions. I am going to liquidate 80% of the above and buy more physical gold/silver. I have made money on all of the above, so I think it's time to cash out.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-17-2010 at 02:50 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
BmwMan325

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Just curious, are you serious? I am not questioning your judgement. Some of those just look too "typical" for a guy like you (who appears to know how to read stocks).

If you are serious, do you consider GE, Dell, F, GOOG and ZAGG to be long term (obviously)? But is there something I am not seeing about them in the next 3 years?

Why do you think a company like Ceradyne is a good stock? Are you looking for a "risk"?
The big picture I'm looking at is growth rate, cash flow, Charts, earnings potential, Price/earnings Price/cash flow etc.

for example, Dell currently selling for 10x cash flow and 10x 2011 earnings. They have an estimated 10-15% growth rate for the next few years. They also have 12.44 Billlion in cash which translates into $5.5 a share in cash.

GE: GE is a cash generating machine. Although they have a ton of debt, generate lots of income and cash. Ge right now is only selling for 7.61x cash flow and 12.47X 2011 earnings. On top of that, GE is paying a 3% dividend. GE's earnings are already on their way to recovery, GE will be fairly valued in the low 20's.

CRDN is a unique stock. They rely on government contracts. They made ceramic bulletproof materials. CRDN is selling for 9.78x cash flow and have over $10 in cash per share in the bank. It is selling for 17x 2011 earnings and has an estimated growth rate of 16%. I started buying it around $19 about 13 months ago.

Stock picking imo is not finding that "hot pharmacy stock" or the "apples or the netflixes" You can see I have a lot of brand names that might seem boring to some. It's all about finding whatever is undervalued.

Google was selling for 13X cash flow when I bought it at $430. The PE was also around 20. Google is also a cash machine, with consistent 20% growth yoy for the past 3-4 years.

Last edited by BmwMan325; 11-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
BmwMan325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
BmwMan325

Since july of 2006, I have a 37% return in my portfolio. Considering the S&P 500 was at 1276 that month and is now 1182 I think I did a fair job.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
BmwMan325

Quote:

Everything in your portfolio has to have a price target. I have only owned ford for 3 weeks or so. I will probably sell some of it around $20. Google I've had for a little over a year, as long as they can keep delivering their consistent growth I will be a holder. ZAGG is more of a short terming hold for me. I'm hoping to squeeze a couple points out of it and sell. DELL and GE are long term for me until I think ive got a good gain or a flop.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
You can see I have a lot of brand names that might seem boring to some. It's all about finding whatever is undervalued.
They look boring (but they look like my stocks!). I just imagine you, Dcha and Wraisil holding more ecclectic, risky (and more "undervalued") stocks. And I was curious how undervalued you thought your boring stocks were (which you explained). I agree with you 100% on all accounts.

I have worked with Ceradyne over the years. They appear to be a well managed company. But I don't do government contractors. I know it works out for many, but I won't do it. Maybe at 1/100th the value.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
BmwMan325

Quote:
They look boring (but they look like my stocks!). I just imagine you, Dcha and Wraisil holding more ecclectic, risky (and more "undervalued") stocks. And I was curious how undervalued you thought your boring stocks were (which you explained). I agree with you 100% on all accounts.

I have worked with Ceradyne over the years. They appear to be a well managed company. But I don't do government contractors. I know it works out for many, but I won't do it. Maybe at 1/100th the value.
Sometimes i will take on some high risk speculation stocks, but not on a consistent basis. In this kind of market, I found value in the stocks I have and feel more comfortable holding these types of names in this situation.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
This market sucks for swings. I've been doing exclusively day trades and those aren't worth posting. We either need to form a reversal candle today or completely recapture yesterday's loss if we have any chance of turning this around. I wouldn't be surprised saw a little more downside. Yea, I know, it sucks.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
BmwMan325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
This market sucks for swings. I've been doing exclusively day trades and those aren't worth posting. We either need to form a reversal candle today or completely recapture yesterday's loss if we have any chance of turning this around. I wouldn't be surprised saw a little more downside. Yea, I know, it sucks.
Healthy breather imo. DOW is currently sitting on the 50 DMA on the 1 year chart. I think we might see more downside also.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:

It is often thought that short term traders trade high risk stocks almost exclusively. For myself and most other short term traders I talk with this is the exact opposite of the truth. Speaking strictly about my trading account, almost all of my trades are on high volume, decently priced and long standing stocks. No penny stocks, no stock that only trades a few thousand shares a day and no IPO crap or similar stocks.

The variables in the highly volatile stocks that make them attractive "gambles" for some people result in an unknown risk to reward ratio that isn't acceptable for most successful traders. Most years I won't trade more than 20-30 different equities and most of those are large names that are easily recognized by anyone on the street. GE, MSFT, GOOG, AA, AMD, AMAT, GS, BAC, F, POT, and MON account for probably 75% of all trades I've made in the past 2 years. FAS, FAZ, /es account for about 50% of my daytrades but only 15% of all my trades in the same time frame.

In my trading accounts I hold a bond fund and BRK/B shares, the amount of which vary depending on how many trades I have active at the time. Generally I'll use one of those to try and get some return on money I don't have allocated for a trade so I can minimize how much of my money in the account is just "earning interest" at any given time.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
sweetbro858

Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
sweetbro858

I don't think I bought/sold anything. Up around 5k

Might sell everything and put buy some property, I dunno, I scurred.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
sweetbro858

HD is still killin it.

Holding since $19.17