E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #121
corstad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 58
My Ride: 2000 328i
Thanks for a great write up with pictures. I did this on Monday evening. The VCG was stiff but the spark plug seats were brittle and just broke into pieces when I touched them.

130 miles post replacement and no more leaks.
corstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #122
dvast8n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wa State
Posts: 20
My Ride: 01 LMY 330cic
Great DIY write up!

I put rtv in the seams but forgot to put it in the half moons....Doh! Debating on tearing it all apart again to do the half moons.
__________________
-2001 330cic-
dvast8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #123
dylan.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sturgeon Bay/Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 114
My Ride: 02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvast8n View Post
Great DIY write up!

I put rtv in the seams but forgot to put it in the half moons....Doh! Debating on tearing it all apart again to do the half moons.
I forgot to put the rtv sealant in the half moons in the back. and I teared it all apart a second time to get them. I would definitely suggest doing it. Don't wan't that baby leaking again.
dylan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #124
dvast8n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wa State
Posts: 20
My Ride: 01 LMY 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan. View Post
I forgot to put the rtv sealant in the half moons in the back. and I teared it all apart a second time to get them. I would definitely suggest doing it. Don't wan't that baby leaking again.
I just got finished....again. I was thinking about it last night and decided I didn't want to deal with it leaking again when I could have prevented it in the first place.
__________________
-2001 330cic-
dvast8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #125
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,993
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvast8n View Post
I just got finished....again. I was thinking about it last night and decided I didn't want to deal with it leaking again when I could have prevented it in the first place.
Ounce of prevention. good plan.
__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #126
DRE97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 147
My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Did the VCG replacement tis weekend. All went well thanks to the DIY for the VCG replacement, no surprises.
However the inside of the valve cover has rust and grease on it. We clean it the best we could. Is this a common condition?
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #127
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,993
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE97 View Post
Did the VCG replacement tis weekend. All went well thanks to the DIY for the VCG replacement, no surprises.
However the inside of the valve cover has rust and grease on it. We clean it the best we could. Is this a common condition?
Sludge is common, but rust-I've never seen that before.
__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #128
DRE97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 147
My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Sludge is common, but rust-I've never seen that before.
The sludge as minimal. Now that I think about it, the rust might be dried out sludge. But I cannot seems to remove it all. Tried heavy duty degreasers and rust removers, got most of it off.
Put it all back together.
No leaks. So I'm just going to leave things along.
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #129
dvast8n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wa State
Posts: 20
My Ride: 01 LMY 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Ounce of prevention. good plan.
Drove it the last couple of days with no issues.
__________________
-2001 330cic-
dvast8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #130
lowesdown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 23
My Ride: 2003 325i Wagon
what is the expected life span after this fix with the application of the RTV? and was this someting bmw came up with after issues?
lowesdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #131
DRE97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 147
My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE97 View Post
The sludge as minimal. Now that I think about it, the rust might be dried out sludge. But I cannot seems to remove it all. Tried heavy duty degreasers and rust removers, got most of it off.
Put it all back together.
No leaks. So I'm just going to leave things along.
Update regarding the sludge/rust stuff inside my valve cover.
Looking at post #1 pictures the inside of my valve cover looks similar but the bluish color is more redish. What is that stuff on the inside of the valve cover?
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #132
klikster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York.
Posts: 47
My Ride: 325xi
I attempted this today. Everything went smoothly until it was time to remove the valve cover. It will not not come off. Tried some light wacks with a rubber mallet but no luck. Given its made of plastic, I'm not too sure I want to start prying at it with a screw driver...
klikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #133
Crestwood1001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 418
My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikster View Post
I attempted this today. Everything went smoothly until it was time to remove the valve cover. It will not not come off. Tried some light wacks with a rubber mallet but no luck. Given its made of plastic, I'm not too sure I want to start prying at it with a screw driver...
Plastic putty knife will do the job
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #134
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
+10

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #135
Yodielon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cville, Va
Posts: 2
My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Dealership Quote

Got my oil changed at the dealership today and they do a 27 point checkover also. I saw someone asked how much they charged for the VCG job. Mine is leaking and they quoted me about $460 parts and labor. Nooo thanks, i'll do it myself for about $50.
__________________
We Be Steady Beamin'
Yodielon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #136
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,993
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodielon View Post
Got my oil changed at the dealership today and they do a 27 point checkover also. I saw someone asked how much they charged for the VCG job. Mine is leaking and they quoted me about $460 parts and labor. Nooo thanks, i'll do it myself for about $50.
$460? (not suprised) Damn, I'm in the wrong business!
__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #137
lowesdown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 23
My Ride: 2003 325i Wagon
I am assuming no oil change has to be done in the process correct?
lowesdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #138
Jperry666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ft Campbell, Ky
Posts: 90
My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
Does anyone have a pic or diagram showing the torque pattern when putting the VC back on? I just don't want to have to tear it apart again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #139
alanstrainor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 27
My Ride: 01 325ci
Thumbs Up

Just signed up to say a big thank you. Job do at a leisurely pace in about 3 hours.

Great write up.

Cheers
alanstrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #140
DRE97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 147
My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry666 View Post
Does anyone have a pic or diagram showing the torque pattern when putting the VC back on? I just don't want to have to tear it apart again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
There is a torque pattern. I do not have it handy. You start from the middle working crisscross towards both ends. Similar to tightening an intake manifold on a V8 of a 40 year old car.
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use