E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
E46 Air-Con problems

So, to get me back for hitting a Kangaroo the other day, my 330i's Air-Con has completely decided to fail in 105 degree days.

Hurrah.

It's always been crap, only noticeably cold on cold days and never really that chilled on really hot days.

Anyway, on Saturday, I turned it on after work and suddenly it was hot/room temperature. I've double checked it and it's definitely room temperature air. Absolutely no refrigeration at all. It also makes a funny whining/sucking noise now coming from near the climate control panel, constant whilst the system is on and only goes away when I completely turn it off (aka, blower fan off).

What could be up? I'm driving around my $600 Volvo because my piece of **** $20,000 BMW is cooking me all day.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Is hitting a Kangaroo in Brisbane as common as hitting in a deer in rural United States?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
Recharge the system with new freon. Make sure you vacuum out all the existing freon (or at least whatever is left of it) before filling it back up. There should be a sticker on your hood that'll tell you how much to refill.
Cyanide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
trive2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
Recharge the system with new freon. Make sure you vacuum out all the existing freon (or at least whatever is left of it) before filling it back up. There should be a sticker on your hood that'll tell you how much to refill.

If it instantly and suddenly discharged itself completely of gas, then I suspect that refilling wont help.

I recently had the disk sensor under the bumper tear off? It's the one that sends the signal to the heated washer nozzles? Found out today, could that be it?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Take it to a shop and have them check for a leak, which I assume you most likely have.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Does your temp sensor work on your cluster?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
If your exterior temperature sensor (located underneath the front bumper) is broken, then get it replaced.
Since your fan works...check to see if the A/C needs refilling?

Otherwise, I'd suspect you've got a leak. Best to bring it to someone who can find it faster than you.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
trive2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Does your temp sensor work on your cluster?
Yeah, that temperature sensor got torn off a month ago hahaha I replaced that. Now the other one's ripped off. *DOH*
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
trive2

*update*

Turns out it was the rather common corroded Evaporator leak.