E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
vr6k3

My Ride: 330d M57
330d M57 184HP upgrade

Hello,
First of all, I would like to say hello to everybody because I'am already register user.
I' am owner of E46 330d M57 184KM 08/2000y., for this moment the car is stock. Slowly there is a moment for some upgrade of engine and also I think it will be good topic because I cannot find person whos going to upgrade M57 engine (without the swap for M57N of course).

So, firs please don't tell me to change the engine ! I don't wan to do this, I don't know what I buy, so the engine will be my. I know the costs will be higher and mods will be not so effective.

Also all mods its because the turbo is leaking oil, the injectors are in bad conditions.

What I want to do is:
1. Change the turbocharger from X5 3.0d 218KM with numbers:
753392-5018S
753392-0018
753392-5015S
742417-0001
2. Change the IC for bigger
3. Full "empty" exhaust with one muffler
4. Gearbox 6-speed from E46 330d Lift
5. Shorter driveshaft from E46 330d Lift (first part of driveshaft)
------
(now the questions)
6. From with model I need injectors ? I know from 3.5d but from witch version, there was some differences....
7. From witch model I need flywheel and clutch ? From E46 Lift 330d flywheel is different and will be not fit (I think), so my idea is the stock Flywheel + X5 clutch

I will be very grateful if somebody could help me.

Best Regards
PS. Sorry for bad english
vr6k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
///dieselpower

My Ride: e39
Dont get 535d injectors, doesnt matter which version. They will no work well with your engine (different spray angle).
What are your goals in terms of power?
///dieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
vr6k3

Hello,
thx for replay (finaly ). I don't have goal of power. I do this modification because injectors I need to change (it's "leacking"), turbo I need to change because I have to much oil and its also leacking.
Because I want to make chip, for me better is to put bigger injectors, 6-speed gearbox, and bigger turbo and then make the program.
The idea of this car is to drive, it's not for racing, I's just to drive. I have another fast car to fun .
Problem of gearbox is small, I know what I need to modify, turbo also, but only problem is injectors.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
vr6k3

Injector comparisation

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maybe this could help....
Also I'am thinking about injecotrs from X5 218HP

Last edited by vr6k3; 07-29-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
I wish they had these in the states.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
///dieselpower

I know very well what they look at as i have rebuild a quite a few. There simply are no alternative injectors that is actually a good mod for you. With the wrong spray angle you risk damaging pistons.
Original nozzles can supply fuel enough for about 270hp.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
vr6k3

Hello,
But 270hp is the maximum of those injectors, so I affraid that this will pusch up to the limit and can damage injectors quite fast.

How about injectors from X5 218hp ? or E60 before facelift ?

Or another idea... bigger injector but wich nozzle from E46 ? Is that possible ?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
///dieselpower

No it is not possible, there is _NO_ injector, or nozzle (well, nozzle, you can use many injector bodies, but that does not make a difference) that will fit you engine.
Please explain to me how longer opening time would "damage the injector quite fast".

This is not the case.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
vr6k3

I don't know how explain it in proper way. I think if the injector will be on "maximum power", it will be not so "strong" like on for example 70% of maximum capacity.

For me most important think in this car is not the power but "no failure". That the reason to put bigger injectors and I don't know witch one. I just want to have bigger injectors to work on for example 70% of max. But maybe I'am wrong, I 'am not expert of so technical things.

You wrote that injector will go for 270hp, that mean I can change on ECU "open time" and "preasure" (I thing), no "velocity" ?

What I have options of injectors ? Because on ETK I see this is only one type in M57....

Last edited by vr6k3; 07-30-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
///dieselpower

I was not really asking you to explain anything to me.

I have tried explaining what you can do, and cant, and when you do not want to listen there is a limit for how long i will keep repeating myself.
There are NO injectors that fit (at least not from bmw). NONE. They have wrong spray pattern.
And judging by your ecu remmapping skills, you really should leave this job for a professional.
And your understading of how the injectors work (and thereby commonrail) is wrong. The max fuel you can inject has little or nothing to do with the injectors themselves (they could inject for 360deg), but what happnes with combustion as you change the injection parameters.

Please dont be offended by this, in stead do one of 2: Read more, work more, and learn how it works. You will need a lot of expensice equipment to do this in the right way. option 2, pay someone to do it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
vr6k3

Dont be so angry. This is how the forum work, to get more informations. Like I wrote, I'am not expert on diesel.
I do what I can do in mechanical things, and I know how combustion chamber work. I see that You wrote there is different spray angle (that's the reason I ask to change nozzle). I want to find best solution for me.

Also I don't want to remap my car, I leave this to pro beacuse I don't have proper equipment to to this. I just want to do mechnical things and give car to remap.

Ok, so please tell me another thing because I heard different opinions... If You give injector to "repair" and calibrate, is true there are no in production new "relay/coil" in injector ?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
BayrischeMotorWerk

My Ride: 320d
You dont need to change injectors. A fast and cheap way to get more power out of your engine is just to
remap the ecu. If you still havent got enough, you should keep in mind next steps costs a lot more.
If you try to put more diesel and air into the cylinders, you will also need to upgrade the exhaust system.
A bigger tubo and larger injectors wont do much if the engine cant push out the exhaust.
Your brakes should also be upgraded if a remap isnt enough, M3 brakes maybe.
BayrischeMotorWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
///dieselpower

its a good thing you came here and taught me that. after all, i clearly dont know what i am talking about.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
compression ign

My Ride: V8 M3. 330d E46
Hello, I have a 184hp 330d which used to be a demo car for BMW and in standard form was the quickest I had been in so I assume it had been remapped at sometime.

Anyway, this is what I have done modification wise to this car and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Full decat exhaust from Blue Flame (excellent quality) including link pipe, EGR removed, (Allard) and a K&N filter.

Totally reliable, 45mpg and goes and sounds considerably better than when I started. A torque monster.
compression ign is offline   Reply With Quote