E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 3.73 average.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #601
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Expansion Tank, Automatic Thermostat there is a "OE Supplier" ,Pulleys are available as Meyle Units, Wahler Thermostat Housing, Engine Cool Fan Switch.

LMK.

joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

Last edited by SeattleLSB; 10-05-2012 at 10:56 AM.
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #602
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
OE supplier is always good, Wahler is good, Meyle is good (though they should offer INA or Ruville) you should be fine really. just make sure waterpump is Saleri or Genuine BMW and expansion tank always Genuine BMW

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #603
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
I put OEM ET, hoses, OEM 2 sensor(1 in oil filter, 1 lower hose), Graf WP, wahle TM, OEM pulleys and belt!

Last edited by bimer21; 10-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #604
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Ok. I wanted to make sure. I'm going to call them about the WP. That part # brings up the Meyle waterpump. Do you see any issues with the FAE Switch? I'm converting to the electric fan as well at the same time.

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

Last edited by SeattleLSB; 10-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #605
E46@46

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Mr. Mango, in your bleeding instructions it sounds like the car is not running while filling it up (while inclined). Is that correct? Thx
E46@46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #606
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Fill the car entirely the first time without running.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #607
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Ok. I wanted to make sure. I'm going to call them about the WP. That part # brings up the Meyle waterpump. Do you see any issues with the FAE Switch? I'm converting to the electric fan as well at the same time.

Joe
Yeah call and ask for the Saleri pump. FAE switch.. not sure. go genuine when it comes to sensors/switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46@46 View Post
Mr. Mango, in your bleeding instructions it sounds like the car is not running while filling it up (while inclined). Is that correct? Thx
yes. engine never running

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 10-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #608
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
I recently replaced my expansion tank.

I have checked the water level several times to make sure everything is good.

I checked yesterday and again this morning.

The coolant appears to have foam at the top. Even though I have bled it several times, it appears I have oil spitting out the expansion screw at the top.
It is definitely oil.

I have several oil drops along the engine bay and a few on the top of the alternator.

I was going to take off the cover of the engine and look closer. I was thinking it could be the gasket.

But if the gasket was bad, assuming that was the only problem, that would not allow oil into the radiator.

Could it be the water pump or heaven forbid, a crack somewhere in the engine head ?

I don't have oil or water leaking anywhere while it is sitting still.

I hope I don't get bad news from you.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #609
Stinger9

What's your mileage?
What is the recently history of any abnormal overheating?
Did you see any oil in the coolant when you drained it?
Oil in the coolant before the ET failed?
Oil in the coolant is the best indicator of a failed head gasket.
Yes a failed gasket would allow oil into the radiator.

What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

How could a water pump allow oil into the coolant?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #610
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
What's your mileage?

What is the recently history of any abnormal overheating?

expansion tank cracked, lost water overheated

Did you see any oil in the coolant when you drained it?

no

Oil in the coolant before the ET failed?

no

Oil in the coolant is the best indicator of a failed head gasket.

?

Yes a failed gasket would allow oil into the radiator.

What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

like oil...........but the level is higher than usual

How could a water pump allow oil into the coolant?

IDK

How does water get into the engine from a leaking gasket ?

If I replace the gasket, do I just do the gasket on top, or do I need a gasket kit?

Other than the gasket and new sealant, what do I need to do the job ?

There is also a faint burning smell.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #611
Stinger9

Let me be clear. Are you confusing a valve cover gasket with a head gasket? They are very different, and replacing a head gasket is a horrible job that requires skill and probably the services of a machine shop to mill the head.

When the car overheats, in very short order the head can overheat enough to warp. That allows oil pressure from a channel up to the head to leak over into the coolant circulation channels.

Pull a sample of your coolant out of the ET with some tubing and examine it in a clear container. Report back.

It would also shed more light on the situation if you'd describe in detail exactly what happened before and after the ET failure. Where were you? How far from home? How much you drove after the fail?

Last edited by Stinger9; 10-06-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #612
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Let me be clear. Are you confusing a valve cover gasket with a head gasket? They are very different, and replacing a head gasket is a horrible job that requires skill and probably the services of a machine shop to mill the head.

When the car overheats, in very short order the head can overheat enough to warp. That allows oil pressure from a channel up to the head to leak over into the coolant circulation channels.

Pull a sample of your coolant out of the ET with some tubing and examine it in a clear container. Report back.

It would also shed more light on the situation if you'd describe in detail exactly what happened before and after the ET failure. Where were you? How far from home? How much you drove after the fail?
I was confusing the two gaskets. I was thinking of the valve cover gasket. I don't think that is going to solve my problem.

So, the head gasket repair is not an easy job ? This is what I need ?

The light came on in heavy traffic. It took a while to pull over. The coolant was low. I allowed it to cool off for 2 hours. Topped it off. Drove a mile to safety.
Did not overheat.

Plan B is to tow it to an indy shop.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #613
Stinger9

Sorry to say you do need a professional to eliminate the possibility that you need to get a new head gasket.
Compression test and leak down test are both possibilities you should discuss with them.

When overheating in the slightest amount, stop the engine immediately and drive no more. Check for leaks. Cool and check ET level.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #614
Raymond42262

Thanks, I think I need a pro too...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #615
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Sooooo does anyone else have their coolant always stay at the exact minimum level? Every time I've ever topped it off, it just goes eventually moves down to the exact minimum but never goes any farther. Seeing as every car I've ever had seems to have the coolant at the exact minimum when it is cold, is this normal?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #616
Stinger9

perspective for you

Generally speaking I lose no coolant over thousands of miles. Rarely do I add any.
When I do top it off, I bring it up to the max level rod reading. Over time as it decreases, it moves down slowly rather than falling to the min level.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #617
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Sooooo does anyone else have their coolant always stay at the exact minimum level? Every time I've ever topped it off, it just goes eventually moves down to the exact minimum but never goes any farther. Seeing as every car I've ever had seems to have the coolant at the exact minimum when it is cold, is this normal?
Interesting theory. I always suspect I had a slow leak somewhere, even after I changed almost everything... So I keep topping up to the max before it got a chance to drop to min. Will refrain from topping up to see how it goes.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #618
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Depending on temp, my coolant either moves from min to max. keep it in that range and you'll be fine

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #619
djacobso

My Ride: 325i
M56 vs M54 Radiator

I'm convinced that its time to replace my cooling system on my 2004 325i that now has 75K miles. However, my car is a SULEV with the M56 engine and I'm wondering if the parts shown in the E46 Cooling Guide are applicable to my vehicle. One of the on-line retailers told me there is SULEV specific radiator and that the standard M54 part will not work. However, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on that. Are there other parts that may be specific to the M56? How do I go about identifying which (if any) parts are unique? Thank you.
djacobso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #620
Stinger9

Have you plugged your VIN into www.realoem.com and seen what part numbers come up on the search?
Check to see if they're the same as the general numbers for common e46's.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump