E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #81
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Mango,

If you suck on some ginger (the root, Mango!)...it'll reduce your nausea.

Try that and call me in the morning!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #82
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
So instead of bashing the OP, I think we should get into the minds of these owners, and find out why they do this. The slammed drop, the ill-fitting wheels, the lack of desire for good handling, the damage to their cars from rubbing, stretching, poking, popping, and rusting, and the roof racks--for the love of god, why roof racks?
Actually, the roof rack is the only thing on that car that is not horrifically ghey. It looks to be the only remaining functional part of the car. I use one to haul bikes, snowboards, etc.

The rest of the car, I agree with you- burn it with plenty of fire. What a waste.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #83
VWmk402

My Ride: E46 328i
25 year old Business owner... Teen??? The car is 10 years old, they run for about 5k who cares what the owner of this car does with it. Some are going to like it and others are going to hate it.
VWmk402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #84
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
I think it looks sick, problem with forums espically this one is the know it all "gods" of the e46. Keep doing what ur doing they can suck a dick
xfixkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #85
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Mango,

If you suck on some ginger (the root, Mango!)...it'll reduce your nausea.

Try that and call me in the morning!
What if they're out of ginger, can I just go over to your house for a substitute? (It better come from your refrigerator!)

And as for the "things" up there.. OK. Yes we're "know-it-alls" because we don't like to F up our cars and look like teens. It's like buying a stripper (if you could buy strippers) and asking her to play santa clause at the local mall. Not meant for that.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #86
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
Lol, why is it not ment to be lowered? It's all personal preference like any car. It's not like dude through a giant wing some neons and a fart can. He lowered it. It looks clean it drives and I bet handles great (unless he rubs)

I've owned quite a few "dumped" cars...each one dialed in to handle like a fcking go-kart.

There's always gonna b the oem guys and the ones looking to get the full potential out of there machines.

But hey that's forums lol what ya gonna do.
xfixkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #87
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfixkaos View Post
Lol, why is it not ment to be lowered? It's all personal preference like any car. It's not like dude through a giant wing some neons and a fart can. He lowered it. It looks clean it drives and I bet handles great (unless he rubs)

I've owned quite a few "dumped" cars...each one dialed in to handle like a fcking go-kart.

There's always gonna b the oem guys and the ones looking to get the full potential out of there machines.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #88
L0standards

My Ride: E46/325i-sold e46/m3
Quote:
I didn't even notice any stickers. It's your choice, man. But really, you ruined your car. Absolutely ruined it. These cars were not designed for that. They're finely-tuned road holding machines. You don't need to make your car faster. It's not a this-or-that debate. It's simply keeping the car respectable. You should never detract from its handling abilities for the sake of oohs and aahs in a Taco Bell parking lot! I hope you can understand this point of view.

And this is not from an inexperienced modder. Believe me, I've had my fair share of trouble and run-ins with the law when it comes to modded cars.
Everybody has their own style I choose the lowered life
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWmk402 View Post
Looks sick love the stance... not to many people on here care for the stance lifestyle around here. how are you liking the Rokkors? i use to have a set on my MK4 jetta felt very nice on that car.
They ride pretty decent actually suprised of the quality
Quote:
Of course, VW guys chime in with approval. Shocking, right? And of course said guys rave about generic coilovers.

ugh. teens
Lol always have my support from the vdub guys of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Actually, the roof rack is the only thing on that car that is not horrifically ghey. It looks to be the only remaining functional part of the car. I use one to haul bikes, snowboards, etc.

The rest of the car, I agree with you- burn it with plenty of fire. What a waste.
Um I don't have a roof rack no clue what your talking about and car functions fine it's my daily and runs great
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #89
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
...each one dialed in to handle like a fcking go-kart.
Go karts are meant for the track. They have no suspension.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #90
L0standards

My Ride: E46/325i-sold e46/m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWmk402 View Post
25 year old Business owner... Teen??? The car is 10 years old, they run for about 5k who cares what the owner of this car does with it. Some are going to like it and others are going to hate it.
Exactly my thoughts I break something i fix it easy solution
Quote:
I think it looks sick, problem with forums espically this one is the know it all "gods" of the e46. Keep doing what ur doing they can suck a dick
Thanks brother
Quote:
What if they're out of ginger, can I just go over to your house for a substitute? (It better come from your refrigerator!)

And as for the "things" up there.. OK. Yes we're "know-it-alls" because we don't like to F up our cars and look like teens. It's like buying a stripper (if you could buy strippers) and asking her to play santa clause at the local mall. Not meant for that.
True point taken
Quote:

Yea deff not planning on being a ***** just clean simple and low all I'm looking for
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #91
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyzillest View Post
Hellaflush is a form of art! Something most people will never understand.
It's like a tattoo it just sets you apart from a crowd.
Anyways car looks amazing!
I have a set of these wheels if anyone's interested! (Mine are staggered)
How rebellious...in a conformist sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.

Last edited by albeee; 10-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #92
jpbutler1983

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
cute. You might want to tell other what you did - somebody will want details
No they won't... No. They. Won't.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #93
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
I'll answer this question honestly. It was not meant to be lowered. The suspension was designed by some of the best engineers in the business to handle predictably, comfortably, and safety, while providing very nice performance, all within the confines of DOT regs. People that know a lot more than you and I invested a LOT of time and money R&D'ing every aspect of the car's suspension setup. They tested, and re-tested. The tried different parts. They tried more parts. They hooked up testing equipment to the car that you don't even know exists. They mocked up models and did math calculations you will never learn. They measured, and tweaked and measured some more. They took the car on the race track. They drove it on the streets. They put weight in it, they drove it in the wet, in the snow, with different tires, etc. And finally, after all their testing, after using years and years of data and experience from building many other cars, they decided on suspension geometry and components that they would build the car with.

This probably cost millions of dollars and thousands of hours of thought and experiment by some very intelligent people. When people throw some $400 coilovers on the car and haphazardly spin the adjusters to positions where it looks cool, all that goes out the window. The "LOL" should be aimed in the direction of the people blindly changing the engineers' decisions.
Quote:
Why would you ever want a car to handle like a go kart? Also, the butt dyno is inherently null and void when trying to determine if you've actually increased mechanical grip. If you have lowered the car or made it ride harder, chances are you've done the opposite.
Quote:
If you know how the suspension changes you've made to the car have altered the component kinematics, altered the roll center, altered the camber curve, altered the weight bias and handling balance, and how your alignment specs stack up against the stock car...THEN you can start to get your head around outdoing BMW suspension engineers. Until then, you're only making the car look cool, altering how it *feels* to drive, and *hoping* you're actually improving upon anything they did.

Think about it like this...

On the day that they finalized the suspension design and cracked open keg of their favorite weizenbier for a job well done, what do you think the suspension engineers would do to you if you walked into their office with a set of Rokkor coilovers and Z3 wheels with 205 width tires on them and said, "sup dudes...forget all that work you just did...let's run THIS instead" ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0standards View Post
I drop my car so low and put a nice set of aggressive wheels to prevent me from speeding and racing

Looking to buy a base E30 3'er coupe in or near CT. PM me if you're selling.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #94
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I'll answer this question honestly. It was not meant to be lowered. The suspension was designed by some of the best engineers in the business to handle predictably, comfortably, and safety, while providing very nice performance, all within the confines of DOT regs. People that know a lot more than you and I invested a LOT of time and money R&D'ing every aspect of the car's suspension setup. They tested, and re-tested. The tried different parts. They tried more parts. They hooked up testing equipment to the car that you don't even know exists. They mocked up models and did math calculations you will never learn. They measured, and tweaked and measured some more. They took the car on the race track. They drove it on the streets. They put weight in it, they drove it in the wet, in the snow, with different tires, etc. And finally, after all their testing, after using years and years of data and experience from building many other cars, they decided on suspension geometry and components that they would build the car with.

This probably cost millions of dollars and thousands of hours of thought and experiment by some very intelligent people. When people throw some $400 coilovers on the car and haphazardly spin the adjusters to positions where it looks cool, all that goes out the window. The "LOL" should be aimed in the direction of the people blindly changing the engineers' decisions.

Very well said. Professional grade. The fact that stancing and slamming is something people do when they're teens and generally don't do later in life (when you have more money and sense) should be an indicator to those with a fair level of intelligence that what they're doing is stupid.

Of course having a fair level of intelligence is apparently hard to come by these days.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #95
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I'll answer this question honestly.

... and said, "sup dudes...forget all that work you just did...let's run THIS instead" ...?

Nick,

Where the hell have you been? Seriously! I read your post and thought I'd changed my user name, but I checked and I hadn't!

You know, Nick, I have this list. You know about my list?

A list of guys that I'd want to be gay with if I become gay...and they are or become gay.

Mango's been wanting on for a while, so I have to give him tenth spot, but eleven is free if you want.

OP, you are also right that you get to have the car you want...you can sacrifice handling for looks if you want. Me? I know the rapture is coming and I need to be prepared for it. There are some roads I have on my route where I'll really need my stock ride height and balloon tires.

Did you know that with 16s and 205/55s I can actually drive into a river and float? The vid of that is somewhere around here...anyone have the link?

Oh, and you don't 'need' to be Fern Green, but it'd help!

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #96
fiveightandten

Quote:
Nick,

Where the hell have you been? Seriously! I read your post and thought I'd changed my user name, but I checked and I hadn't!

You know, Nick, I have this list. You know about my list?

A list of guys that I'd want to be gay with if I become gay...and they are or become gay.

Mango's been wanting on for a while, so I have to give him tenth spot, but eleven is free if you want.

OP, you are also right that you get to have the car you want...you can sacrifice handling for looks if you want. Me? I know the rapture is coming and I need to be prepared for it. There are some roads I have on my route where I'll really need my stock ride height and balloon tires.

Did you know that with 16s and 205/55s I can actually drive into a river and float? The vid of that is somewhere around here...anyone have the link?

Oh, and you don't 'need' to be Fern Green, but it'd help!
I've been in the E36 world, but I figured i'd see how all the 'artists' over here are doing and popped my head in.

11th you say? Are you sure i'm not getting Mango's sloppy seconds? Pencil me in. I'll shoot you a PM if my girlfriend upsets me and I need to make her jealous.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-08-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #97
dmax

Truth is, I don't think I'll get to first on my list...but if you ever need to make gf jealous, let me know...I'll compose some special PMs to you for her to see by accident!

BTW...is that sig graphic your own invention? Has Flashtwosix threatened you in any way yet?

Please 'friend' me!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #98
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:

I'd have one of the black Civic's from The Fast and the Furious before I'd ever have OP's car

Not saying thats my taste, but I honestly can see the appeal of that much easier than I can see the appeal in a "stanced" car.

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 10-08-2012 at 09:27 PM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #99
fiveightandten

Quote:
Truth is, I don't think I'll get to first on my list...but if you ever need to make gf jealous, let me know...I'll compose some special PMs to you for her to see by accident!

BTW...is that sig graphic your own invention? Has Flashtwosix threatened you in any way yet?
I'll keep that in mind.

I don't know flashtwosix. But my screenname adds up to a higher integer. I'm not afraid of him.

I borrowed that graphic from the internet. Schrodinger's cat. I'd bet that it's right up your alley. Google it up.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #100
dmax

Flash is our cat-loving fanatic...see her sig.

I'll check out Schrodinger's Cat...that is, if that's not a trick like Griffin uses all the time! I do not want to see anything that I can't unsee.

Is it safe?

Please 'friend' me!