E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
agent050

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
take her shopping to find things she likes. And not just a "hey lets go shop for engagement rings". Figure out the style she wants. One stone? Three stone? Antique? Modern? Very plain or ornate?

Once you know what she likes, you can find something that will suit her.
I thought about this one. I will be doing this as well. Thank you.
agent050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
I never saw a problem with going to jewelry stores to look at stuff. You can look at diamond earrings or pendants first and use that as an excuse to see what type of stones she likes. Easy to see if she has the same opinion about style of cut on an earring as on a ring.

There's nothing wrong with her knowing you intend to propose some day. They actually prefer that. You can still surprise the hell out of her.

Both ways can be good. If the engagement is a total surprise, she'll remember how you totally caught her off guard. However, if you do it in a way she doesn't like (like too public) or the ring bugs her, that can ruin any brownie points you got for the awesome surprise proposal. If you can nail the ring, every time she looks at her hand, you get those brownie points again. Figuring out what she wants and sacrificing a little surprise is the better choice IMO.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
my wife and I went ring shopping together several times.

I bought her ring from a place we had never been to, based on what we had established that she wanted. I did it on my lunch break one day, she had no idea that I had actually bought it. And she was surprised when i actually proposed to her.

Everything worked out perfectly. We got married three months later in a small ceremony with just our parents and a nice dinner for a few more people afterwards.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
Paulscustom

My Ride: 323i
If you know what you are looking at and what size stone go to a pawn shop. I bought a loose stone then found the ring she liked. Had the stone set. It appraises for almost twice what I have in it and she is happy as hell.
Paulscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Unless you are pretty sure of what she wants, just propose to her the diamond you want (price wise) in a simple tiffany style setting. Tell her you want to make sure she gets the setting she wants, then pick it out together.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
No harm checking out the Jeweler makers they can make something that appraises for more like a previous poster suggested!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
mine is done. going to pick it up tonight.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #28
pwr2panda

My Ride: Prefacelift E46 4dr
if you truly want her to absolutely 100% love her ring and totally surprise her, i wouldnt ask her about what kind of rings or go looking together at all. it'll get her thinking and she'll have it in the back of her mind that you might propose. women's intuition.

the best thing to do is to have an entirely different ring with which to propose to her, one that's more symbolic not cost. family heirloom from your side/her side, whatever. then you shop together for the "official" engagement ring, so she can hem and haw all day about which one she likes the most and which one she wants to flaunt to all her relatives and friends lol.
pwr2panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Hopefully she'll have an idea that you're going to propose anyway. If she's completely surprised that you're considering marriage, it's a bad sign.